ADVERTISEMENT

With Sestina out...

Bluesbrother

Junior
May 23, 2002
Will Cal give Ben Jordan some rebounding minutes? Does he have a "mean" streak to go to war on the boards? I wouldn't expect he is asked to score unless it's a layup or dunk. At 6'9", I think Cal might want to begin giving him some game minutes, for rebounding at least to see what he's made of.

I'm curious. We'll find out if he can give us 4 or 5 serviceable mins.

I wouldn't count on it. More likely this just means more minutes for Brooks, Nick and EJ.

Reactions: G-PIP
No..... he’s from my neck of the woods and although a wonderful young man will not play meaningful minutes in D1 college basketball.

he's practice body. a walk-on.

Cal will probably go to a 3 guard lineup. When we have played 3 guards this year, we have looked good. Whoever will play the best defense will get the minutes. It will be good for the youngsters, even if we lose one or two during month of December.

Definitely not. With EJ back, we will be fine, until he returns. If anything, this will force Cal to play EJ more minutes, and may help us in the long run. We may even get Allen back by then.

No..... he’s from my neck of the woods and although a wonderful young man will not play meaningful minutes in D1 college basketball.
I understand. But since Jordan is from your neck of the woods, explain for the posters that don't know that he was far from a stiff in high school. He's athletic and smart. Wouldn't you agree that if he had chose to play basketball he probably could have eventually been a contributor (I didn't say star or even 6th man role) as an upperclassman at many Division I schools - maybe even UK.

I understand. But since Jordan is from your neck of the woods, explain for the posters that don't know that he was far from a stiff in high school. He's athletic and smart. Wouldn't you agree that if he had chose to play basketball he probably could have eventually been a contributor (I didn't say star or even 6th man role) as an upperclassman at many Division I schools - maybe even UK.

Yes, he was a very good athlete in Hs, but he’s a bit thicker now it seems. I couldn’t imagine he’d ever play high level D1 basketball. For sure end of the bench 10-15 mins a game for the Morehead or EKU level basketball teams. Great guy to have for practices, not so much PT.

Reactions: jrpross and G-PIP
We will be better on defense! Btw Whitney is terrible on both sides, there’s a reason he was on the bench most of second half

Definitely not. With EJ back, we will be fine, until he returns. If anything, this will force Cal to play EJ more minutes, and may help us in the long run. We may even get Allen back by then.

Allen is not going to get any meaningful minutes.

Everything said about Jordan in this thread could have been said about Josh Harrellson but Cal needed him more than wanted him in meaningful game minutes but that worked out better than I would have imagined. I can agree with everything said thus far in the discussion but being now even more thin across the frontline, you can't teach 6' 9". If he has a mean streak and Cal directs him to crash the boards as a primary job, it couldn't hurt. If he turns out to be too passive, then practice player it is. Baseball will start cranking up soon, so likely a mute point.

Sestina was one of our better players early no doubt, however if this team reaches it's full potential he is 8/9 on the depth chart. As long as we can keep winning while he is out i think this could get Ej going and possible help Juzang progress as he will probably see more minutes at the 3 with Whitney and brooks having to play some 4

I don’t think we should expect much of anything from him. He’s valuable in the sense that he provides good experience for our guys in practice and fills out our roster for scrimmages, but I don’t see him contributing at all in big games.

Time to go small, IMHO.

Starters

G Hagans
G Maxey
G Quickley
F Whitney
F Richards

Bench

G Juzang
F Brooks
F Montgomery

Cal probably sticks with starting Montgomery and Richards together, though.

He is going to have to play the three guards and a small forward a lot, though.
It's been time to go small, Cal ain't gonna do it. He'll start Brooks over Quickly and have a 3 man big rotation with Nick, EJ, and Brooks and will play 2 of them at all times.

Sestina was one of our better players early no doubt, however if this team reaches it's full potential he is 8/9 on the depth chart. As long as we can keep winning while he is out i think this could get Ej going and possible help Juzang progress as he will probably see more minutes at the 3 with Whitney and brooks having to play some 4
I dunno about him being one of our better players, Evansville isolated him and abused him 1 on 1 time and time again.

He played in the 16th region.

He played in the 16th region.
Did you get a chance to watch him any? If so, what do you think? If he had concentrated on basketball, do you think he could have eventually given UK some spot minutes?

To be clear....I know Jordan is just helping out the basketball team before his baseball season begins, and is just a practice player. I'm just speculating that had he dedicated himself to basketball, he might have been able to be that 12th or 13th man on a Div. I team some on here think we should have on the bench.

Will Cal give Ben Jordan some rebounding minutes? Does he have a "mean" streak to go to war on the boards? I wouldn't expect he is asked to score unless it's a layup or dunk. At 6'9", I think Cal might want to begin giving him some game minutes, for rebounding at least to see what he's made of.
We don't need more players. We have a good rotation with what we have. Nate being out will increase EJ, Nick, Brooks, Jusang and Whitney minutes some but not that much. Hopefully it will give them a chance to improve.

Reactions: darrellm1234
It's been time to go small, Cal ain't gonna do it. He'll start Brooks over Quickly and have a 3 man big rotation with Nick, EJ, and Brooks and will play 2 of them at all times.

Hopefully this forces Cal to go small. I think he will still start his two bigs (Montgomery and Richards) every game, but has to finish games by rotating Richards and Montgomery at the 5 with Brooks and Whitney at the 4.

I think he will close out close games with his three guards. That’s clearly the best lineup. We have three guards averaging double digit points, they need to be on the floor to finish in tight games.

Did you get a chance to watch him any? If so, what do you think? If he had concentrated on basketball, do you think he could have eventually given UK some spot minutes?

To be clear....I know Jordan is just helping out the basketball team before his baseball season begins, and is just a practice player. I'm just speculating that had he dedicated himself to basketball, he might have been able to be that 12th or 13th man on a Div. I team some on here think we should have on the bench.
I believe he could have played on a Div1 team, I don't think he would have been UK caliber regardless

I would prefer Cal to utilize the 3 guard lineup more and just slide Whitney into PF to split with Brooks. EJ and Nick historically are foul prone so you need to have them alternating at big and avoid them being in together with no legit back up. Should also free up the offense a bit.

PG- Hagans (30) IQ (5) Maxey (5)
SG- Maxey (25) IQ (10) Juzang (5)
3G- IQ (15) Juzang (15) Whitney (10)
PF- Whitney (15) Brooks (20) EJ (5)
C- Richards (20-25) EJ (15-20)

Total Mins...
Hagans/IQ/Maxey- 30
Whitney- 25
Richards/EJ- 20-25
Juzang/Brooks- 20

I would prefer Cal to utilize the 3 guard lineup more and just slide Whitney into PF to split with Brooks. EJ and Nick historically are foul prone so you need to have them alternating at big and avoid them being in together with no legit back up. Should also free up the offense a bit.

Total Mins...
Hagans/IQ/Maxey- 30
Whitney- 25
Richards/EJ- 20-25
Juzang/Brooks- 20

Would agree...just wish we had one more option along the front line. I did read this evening that after the surgery, Cal is saying Sestina could be back much sooner. Hope so.

Last edited:
Reactions: HagginHall1999

Total Mins...
Hagans/IQ/Maxey- 30
Whitney- 25
Richards/EJ- 20-25
Juzang/Brooks- 20

This is about how I would play it myself.

But I think Cal will start Montgomery and Richards together then bring in Brooks at the 4 for whichever one needs to come out or gets in foul trouble.

The danger in that is if both bigs get in foul trouble early, then Cal is stuck with Whitney and Brooks at the 4 and 5. Gulp! I would start Richards and bring Montgomery off the bench so we don’t have both on the bench at the same time with fouls. Need to have one of those guys in the lineup at all times.

Would agree...just wish we had one more option along the front line. I did read this evening that after the surgery, Cal is saying Sestina could be back much sooner. Hope so.

Everyone not named Nick is gonna have to hit the boards. Losing 7 rbs a game here...1.5 on offensive glass. I'm excited to see what Brooks gives with extra minutes...he is 3rd on team in offensive rebounds and 10 less mpg compared to Nate.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
One of the biggest things we will miss from Sestina is the communication. This guy talks all the time on the floor, something the young guys just don’t do that well.

It’s the little things like this that most people don’t think about that will be missed most. The rebounds and points can be replaced much easier than the intangibles like communication.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT