ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt to Rutgers

Sounds like uk won't bother even trying to flip. Given that and the "if you are afraid of competition don't come here" statement seems the cards are all on the table.

Good news is if coen puts a product in the field that's even close to what we hope, we'll be in with better qb prospects than maybe any time in our history. That's no knock to the kid. It's just two completely different interests.

I’ll just say I’m proud of my fellow UK fans for their collective restraint in Wimsatt’s decision to go elsewhere.

In years past, there would have epic meltdowns and trashing of this young man’s character. I’m deeply disappointed but I can’t let my personal happiness depend on where an 18 year old decides to play ball.....

You at least need to be objective if you are going to look at things:

1) NJ/NY fans are fickle but you better believe that when GS had the team winning during his last stint, there was a strong buzz around the program (even the Empire State Building was lit up in Rutgers colors)

2) RU has a dynamic OC who is a dream come true for a kid like this and his skillset. (Heck with limited talent in his first season, the team had Sportscenter highlight plays based on offensive creativity)

3) Since the time GS first left for the NFL, the program has basically not had a capable head coach (which coincided with a move into the Big 10) All you have to do is look at the competitiveness of games last season compared to previous years, to realize how effective the staff can be (despite having to rely primarily on portal players)

4) The staff's ability to recruit in just their first season speaks for itself

5) You need to keep in mind that up to this point, RU has been "competing" against Big 10 schools while receiving nearly 1/2 the Big 10 revenue share of their opponents (it's difficult to compete against programs when you have 1/2 their budget) That gap closes significantly beginning this year, and while Wimsatt is here, the revenue share will be equal to other programs, with RU receiving nearly 3 times the yearly revenue share than they have gotten in the past seasons. (Think about the difference trying to compete with $23 million compared to $70 million.)

6) When GS was last here, the team was in a bad conference and had awful facilities and he still managed to pull good local recruits because he is highly respected among HS coaches (and the Tri-state area consistently has recruiting depth). Now throw in an exciting OC, a strong national conference and ever improving facilities, and it's easy to see the future is bright.

7) Also let's not forget that the basketball team was just a basket away from making it into the Sweet 16.....athletics are on a huge upswing at the university.
It’s still Rutgers. But if you’re talking about their past success under Schiano, fine. But most of their success probably had more to do with the crap conference they were in. Similar to UL they found out when they went to a P5 conference they moved down the pecking order pretty quick. We’ll see if Schiano can keep it up. If so, kudos to them.

And what do you actually know about NJ? My guess not much. Rutgers is 1 hr train ride from NYC and Philly. Not to mention you have the shore as well. Academically it's highly rated. Schiano has a track record for preparing and putting guys in the NFL. Rutgers was competitive in 2014 in its first year in the B1G when it was a team mostly of Schiano guys being coached by Kyle Flood. From 2008-2012 Schiano had a lot of 4* and some 5* down to RU or a B1G/SEC choice. Being in the Big East we would always lose out. Now that we are in the B1G, he's closing.
Perception is reality and the reality is that Rutgers is viewed in the same light as Kansas by most college football fans. And I could care less how close you are to Philly and NYC. In fact that would turn me away. I don’t want to be anywhere near those crime ridden cesspools. And I hate to break it to you but most people prefer warm weather. NJ winters are terrible. But good luck to the kid.

It’s still Rutgers. But if you’re talking about their past success under Schiano, fine. But most of their success probably had more to do with the crap conference they were in. Similar to UL they found out when they went to a P5 conference they moved down the pecking order pretty quick. We’ll see if Schiano can keep it up. If so, kudos to them.
not sure what a bad conference had to do with the national ranking or streak of bowl victories. I don't think anyone expects them to become OSU, but nothing wrong with developing into a next tier program in the Big.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
I’ll just say I’m proud of my fellow UK fans for their collective restraint in Wimsatt’s decision to go elsewhere.

In years past, there would have epic meltdowns and trashing of this young man’s character. I’m deeply disappointed but I can’t let my personal happiness depend on where an 18 year old decides to play ball.....
Same. Those who bash a 17-18 year old kid or the school they choose are pretty sad people. Presents a loser's mentality also.

Last edited:
Wish him nothing but the best.

I don't think we're going to be taking a QB in this class and I don't think Destin Wade stays at QB.

We either hit the portal or recruit the hell out of Malachi Nelson.

#6 Recruiting class in the country. So obviously a bunch of good players. 😉
A little early early to be pumping a top 6 class. A couple years ago, UK had the numero uno class in the country a couple months past this time and we didn’t finish anywhere near number 1. Pump the brakes.
Imagine thinking the jersey shore is anything special lmao

How’s it feel to not be allowed to pump your own gas?
No shit. “The Shore” is one thing that turns me off about that state. Jesus Christ.

Imagine thinking the jersey shore is anything special lmao

How’s it feel to not be allowed to pump your own gas?
This just proves you haven't been there. You realize that there are shorepoints for partiers and shorepoints for quiet days on clean beaches, right? There is actually beaches lining (wow imagine this) the whole coast.

I pump my gas in ny all the time. And guess what? I hate it. Why would I ever want to pump my own gas. Lines go fast because attendants want to get you in and out as fast as humanly possible and it's all they do all day. A lot faster than waiting for some geezer to get out of their car and hurry their ass up. So yea. It feels great. Sorry you have to pump your own.

This just proves you haven't been there. You realize that there are shorepoints for partiers and shorepoints for quiet days on clean beaches, right? There is actually beaches lining (wow imagine this) the whole coast.

I pump my gas in ny all the time. And guess what? I hate it. Why would I ever want to pump my own gas. Lines go fast because attendants want to get you in and out as fast as humanly possible and it's all they do all day. A lot faster than waiting for some geezer to get out of their car and hurry their ass up. So yea. It feels great. Sorry you have to pump your own.
No idea this was a thing. People don’t pump their own gas in NJ? For real? Like every where? Is it a law or something? Do you tip them?

Listen, best of luck to the kid. We have enough quarterbacks, let’s focus on developing 1,2, maybe 3 of them. That’s where my interest lies. We can’t take everybody.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
You at least need to be objective if you are going to look at things:

1) NJ/NY fans are fickle but you better believe that when GS had the team winning during his last stint, there was a strong buzz around the program (even the Empire State Building was lit up in Rutgers colors)

2) RU has a dynamic OC who is a dream come true for a kid like this and his skillset. (Heck with limited talent in his first season, the team had Sportscenter highlight plays based on offensive creativity)

3) Since the time GS first left for the NFL, the program has basically not had a capable head coach (which coincided with a move into the Big 10) All you have to do is look at the competitiveness of games last season compared to previous years, to realize how effective the staff can be (despite having to rely primarily on portal players)

4) The staff's ability to recruit in just their first season speaks for itself

5) You need to keep in mind that up to this point, RU has been "competing" against Big 10 schools while receiving nearly 1/2 the Big 10 revenue share of their opponents (it's difficult to compete against programs when you have 1/2 their budget) That gap closes significantly beginning this year, and while Wimsatt is here, the revenue share will be equal to other programs, with RU receiving nearly 3 times the yearly revenue share than they have gotten in the past seasons. (Think about the difference trying to compete with $23 million compared to $70 million.)

6) When GS was last here, the team was in a bad conference and had awful facilities and he still managed to pull good local recruits because he is highly respected among HS coaches (and the Tri-state area consistently has recruiting depth). Now throw in an exciting OC, a strong national conference and ever improving facilities, and it's easy to see the future is bright.

7) Also let's not forget that the basketball team was just a basket away from making it into the Sweet 16.....athletics are on a huge upswing at the university.

He did a great job building that program in his first tenure. I expect Rutgers to be competitive most years and as Schianno improves the roster, who knows what will happen. It sucks being in Ohio State's division, but that seems like the only obvious unwinnable conference game for the next few years.

You do know that Rutgers has a highly rated class of 2019 QB transfer from Baylor. Also a dual threat QB. Early PT will be an uphill battle. One of them will ultimately transfer.
L C football dad you from Lewis County or Lawrence county

He is off to a good start, but I will be surprised if he finishes top 20. Alot like UCF north went on a tear with multiple commits climbing to #2. Things fell apart, their top commit recommitted, then their top 2 signees refused to enrolled ask for and were granted their release.

But they are off to a good start on the class, but only averaging about 90 points per commit. Roughly 1000 points behind number one OSU who is in their division.

I hadn't heard of it either until just now. I guess we don't listen to enough AM radio. Leave it to a Lair poster to "own the libtards" by talking about pumping gas on a sports board.

yea it’s a state law (I believe us and Oregon are the only ones), and to be honest it’s awesome. You just pull up, tell the attendant what you want, and they do all the work (some places even have the attendants wash you windows for free while the gas is pumping). The real kicker is that some parts of the state (especially as you get further away from NYC) the gas prices with all that service are well below the national average (I have friends from PA who always fill up when they are in Jersey because the gas is cheaper and they don’t have to do any of the work)

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
5 ? You need to be objective if you want to be taken seriously; otherwise, you may be what some may refer to as a "HOMER"

The only QB on current roster that I would want over Wimsett is Allen.
You’re putting too much stock in his ranking. Kid is not that good throwing the football. I don’t think Coen was that enamored with him with offense we are going to run . There is a reason his other commitable offers were Cincinnati and Rutgers.

I don’t see why you’re “deeply disappointed “ . The UK football staff isn’t. He doesn’t fit our new offense any better than Terry Wilson would have .

So, was his offer from UK committable?
Yes . But I think Coen wasn’t nearly as high on him as the previous offense coordinator who made the offer . I don’t think UK “ fought hard” to keep him after Coen was hired . Not that the kid isn’t talented, just not the best fit for the new offense.Let me add , Rock Cat probably knows more about the situation than me . I’m no insider , I’ve just heard some scuttle but.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Beginning to think for a 'dominate' QB to play here he will need to be a 'true' 5 star. Seems we have gotten some fairly high rated QB's here and there over the years but how many true great ones have there been? Maybe Coen can take a 4 star and make him into a 5 star type. To get over the hump that position has got to take a step up. A guy that does what it takes to win and has the mind and tools to do it. No way of knowing what kind of fighter they are till they get here.

Beginning to think for a 'dominate' QB to play here he will need to be a 'true' 5 star. Seems we have gotten some fairly high rated QB's here and there over the years but how many true great ones have there been? Maybe Coen can take a 4 star and make him into a 5 star type. To get over the hump that position has got to take a step up. A guy that does what it takes to win and has the mind and tools to do it. No way of knowing what kind of fighter they are till they get here.
the word dominate is wrong dominant is the correct word lol, hate when people misuse them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT