ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt to Rutgers

Imagine thinking the jersey shore is anything special lmao

How’s it feel to not be allowed to pump your own gas?

The jersey shore is one of the premier resort and tourist areas in the nation. The stupid show is a caricature of what it is really like, and we despise it, yet it still generates billions of dollars and high ratings for MTV since everyone from flyover country is obsessed with it. I love not pumping my own gas, that's for suckers. And our income, educational systems, and quality of life is amongst the highest in the nation. We're also one of the original 13.

I do like your moonshine though. Second only to west virginia. Also, I have nothing against Kentucky. No need to bash our state, as it is actually a pretty great place to live and work.

Last edited:
Yes . But I think Coen wasn’t nearly as high on him as the previous offense coordinator who made the offer . I don’t think UK “ fought hard” to keep him after Coen was hired . Not that the kid isn’t talented, just not the best fit for the new offense.Let me add , Rock Cat probably knows more about the situation than me . I’m no insider , I’ve just heard some scuttle but.
Long-time Rutgers fan and actually the first time I've ever responded on another Board, but I have to say that almost all the comments here are pretty spot on and honest. I mean, who the hell knows why a recruit ends up choosing a particular school? NJ is a very competitive football state, and a lot of kids want to go to a school further from home. I don't think Rutgers has ever recruited a QB from Kentucky, but this guy seems to be "a" real deal dual-threat QB, maybe not "the" real deal. Doesn't mean he will amount anything, but we have traditionally only recruited the standard drop-back passer; so finally, we are moving in the direction of how college offenses run, and Schiano does know how to recruit players.

Just a couple of overall thoughts on all the comments:

-Kentucky is a very fun, competitive football team to watch even in their down years.
-Kentucky football fans are underappreciated; you, like us, understand losing and truly appreciate when you have a coach that can lead you where you want to go.
-It seems crazy, but Schiano is one of the few coaches who can possibly bring Rutgers back to respectibility(his recruiting speaks for itself, and the amount of players he puts in the NFL)etc.
-Both states are under-rated: I went to Kentucky, and wow, amazing State, aside from the Derby, actually going to a Bourbon tasting, going to Mammoth Cave National Park, Bowling Green where the Corvette is manufactured, Big Forth National Fork Park, etc., its a great place to go, but so is NJ, the beaches(some of the best in the country), most historians will tell you that that NJ played the most pivitol role in the Revolutionary War, incredible hiking, proximity to NYC and Philly, etc.
-regarding having someone pump your gas in NJ; its the greatest thing ever. You pull up, tell someone to fill you tank, and pay them, never having to leave your car. And the gas prices in NJ are one of the lowest in the country; who the hell wouldn't want that?!!! :)
-Although our recruiting class is ranked number 6 right now, we agree it wont be that in the end, especially when you recruit against the big boys like both us do. But the number of stars they have in front of them matters now, even though it may not determine whether the end up in the NFL or even start for our team. It still matters for teams like ours.

Good luck to you guys this upcoming season; I like reading a Board of some educated, and fanatical football fans!

I somewhat understood going to Nebraska. Storied program, hot new HC, probably a better fit offensively. I just don’t get wanting to go to Rutgers. That may be the least desirable power five school in college football IMO. They are a punching bag in their conference and it’s in freaking New Jersey.
Of the two I do agree I see going to Nebraska over Rutgers. Look, Rutgers makes zero sense to me. Must be about PT.

Reactions: gobigbluebell
I dont understand this move either but WR went to the hottest coaching name out there at the time he was great and very WR friendly at UCF. He hasnt worked out at Nebraska, but he isnt playing the likes of Memphis,Florida Atlantic. He wasnt able to deliver as promised and WR left.

Kids have to to what they feel showcased their talents. At that time he didnt think blocking for BS, who was outstanding, would get him to the NFL.

The new OC and the promise of a friendlier WR offense has brought him home.
I wasn't surprised that WR went elsewhere, it was just Nebraska that was surprising to me. I could see that Nebraska is a dead blueblood, but I'm not WR. Frost was a hot name, you're correct.

This just proves you haven't been there. You realize that there are shorepoints for partiers and shorepoints for quiet days on clean beaches, right? There is actually beaches lining (wow imagine this) the whole coast.

I pump my gas in ny all the time. And guess what? I hate it. Why would I ever want to pump my own gas. Lines go fast because attendants want to get you in and out as fast as humanly possible and it's all they do all day. A lot faster than waiting for some geezer to get out of their car and hurry their ass up. So yea. It feels great. Sorry you have to pump your own.

Back it my youth there were no such things as self service has stations. But it did give drop outs and people with special needs an opportunity for employment. Does NJ have so many drop outs or produce so many people with special needs that the state has to make laws to assure their employment?

I wasn't surprised that WR went elsewhere, it was just Nebraska that was surprising to me. I could see that Nebraska is a dead blueblood, but I'm not WR. Frost was a hot name, you're correct.

I just think the kid thought he would be part of an offense like Frost ran at UCF, not the inept offense he has at Nebraska. Which hasnt been the case

The jersey shore is one of the premier resort and tourist areas in the nation. The stupid show is a caricature of what it is really like, and we despise it, yet it still generates billions of dollars and high ratings for MTV since everyone from flyover country is obsessed with it. I love not pumping my own gas, that's for suckers. And our income, educational systems, and quality of life is amongst the highest in the nation. We're also one of the original 13.

I do like your moonshine though. Second only to west virginia. Also, I have nothing against Kentucky. No need to bash our state, as it is actually a pretty great place to live and work.
C’mon now, it’s a known fact that everyone who lives in KY marries their sister, are missing most of their teeth, wear overalls to dinner, and cooks their own corn liquor which is heavily guarded by barefoot men with old single barrel shotguns passed down for generations.

I hate stereotypes. Though my in-laws are from Jersey and detest my mere presence, I actually enjoyed most parts of the state I’ve been to and most people seemed pretty nice. Hate to lose a KY kid to you guys or anyone else but that’s unfortunately part of recruiting. As a matter of fact, the two greatest defensive football players I’ve ever seen wear the blue both came from Jersey, Art Still and Josh Allen.

best of luck to young Mr Wimstatt. Rutgers has been making some noise for a bit. It is a historic campus and a short train ride to the whole eastern corridor, taking in DC, New York proper, Virginia,
and on and on. Hope he finds happiness. As far as NFL dreams go, the NFL scouts find you wherever you are if you have what they want.

In all honest, he may not have seen the field as quickly at UK, given coach Stoops loyalty to upper year players in reward for sticking with him.
In any case, congrats to Wimsatt and to the Rutgers fans. Good kid, good get. Hope it turns into a good match.

No idea this was a thing. People don’t pump their own gas in NJ? For real? Like every where? Is it a law or something? Do you tip them?
Hell no we don't tip. I've never heard of anyone tipping a gas attendant. They are there so you never have to step foot outside your car and they move the cars out as fast as humanly possible. It is a law that you can't fill your own tank in nj but it's not like anyone ever cracks down on it so I see out of staters still fill their own tanks here and there.

Reactions: UKdondee
Of the two I do agree I see going to Nebraska over Rutgers. Look, Rutgers makes zero sense to me. Must be about PT.
Take a look at the history of our OC Gleason and you will see very clearly why RU does make some sense. Not a job at UK just a reason why he might be excited to play for us. I also think PT helped as well but was not the only factor.

Reactions: UKdondee
Take a look at the history of our OC Gleason and you will see very clearly why RU does make some sense. Not a job at UK just a reason why he might be excited to play for us. I also think PT helped as well but was not the only factor.
Looking at his choice list it doesn't make sense to me. And it doesn't have to. Whatever he wants is awesome. As an outsider it's a headscratcher. I'm only a fan on the internet, though.

yea it’s a state law (I believe us and Oregon are the only ones), and to be honest it’s awesome. You just pull up, tell the attendant what you want, and they do all the work (some places even have the attendants wash you windows for free while the gas is pumping). The real kicker is that some parts of the state (especially as you get further away from NYC) the gas prices with all that service are well below the national average (I have friends from PA who always fill up when they are in Jersey because the gas is cheaper and they don’t have to do any of the work)

What is the purpose of this law?

Reactions: Ky grandpa

Yea 150 miles of multi-million dollar homes on the beach, boardwalks, outdoor bars and restaurants is nothing special. Don't worry I'm pretty sure you couldn't even afford a hotel room down there for a night so have fun in KY lol.

• Haha
Reactions: TIE543

haha how's it feel to freeze your ass of at the pump while I sit in my warm car watching someone else does the work. Oh, and I probably pay less per gallon than you. So how's it feel? Pretty damn good.

And imagine thinking the beaches along the Kentucky shore are anything special. Oh wait, you have NO shore at all. I'll take any one of the Jersey shore's 130 miles of pristine coastline beaches over one of your swamp lake beaches any day.

Perception is reality and the reality is that Rutgers is viewed in the same light as Kansas by most college football fans. And I could care less how close you are to Philly and NYC. In fact that would turn me away. I don’t want to be anywhere near those crime ridden cesspools. And I hate to break it to you but most people prefer warm weather. NJ winters are terrible. But good luck to the kid.
And you honestly think that the perception nationwide of Kentucky football is any BETTER than that of Kansas or Rutgers? That's so cute. You guys have been the SEC's punching bag since....forever.

• Haha
haha how's it feel to freeze your ass of at the pump while I sit in my warm car watching someone else does the work. Oh, and I probably pay less per gallon than you. So how's it feel? Pretty damn good.

And imagine thinking the beaches along the Kentucky shore are anything special. Oh wait, you have NO shore at all. I'll take any one of the Jersey shore's 130 miles of pristine coastline beaches over one of your swamp lake beaches any day.
Oh Yeah!!..... Insert whatever middle school come back that you choose for the rest of it.

I would much rather be at Lake Cumberland than “The Shore”, guarantee that.

I somewhat understood going to Nebraska. Storied program, hot new HC, probably a better fit offensively. I just don’t get wanting to go to Rutgers. That may be the least desirable power five school in college football IMO. They are a punching bag in their conference and it’s in freaking New Jersey.
We think the same about freaking Kentucky.

• Haha

You need to drink more shine, Kentucky is top shelf no doubt but Tennessee and North Carolina shine is up there as well, West Virginia shine is crap 🍺

You need to drink more shine, Kentucky is top shelf no doubt but Tennessee and North Carolina shine is up there as well, West Virginia shine is crap 🍺

North Carolina and Kentucky are the best IMO.

If you ever are in Northern Kentucky, google the “Neeley Family Distillary” run by the Neeley and Sizemore families.

I always stop by headed to the Speedway or Belterra, and talk to the family.

They’re too cool.

They have a tad bit of a midwestern accent (Northern Kentucky, ya’ know), but their people came from Clay County.

They are racking up some awards: best two year bourbon, and some of the best straight shine in the world.

Last edited:
Back it my youth there were no such things as self service has stations. But it did give drop outs and people with special needs an opportunity for employment. Does NJ have so many drop outs or produce so many people with special needs that the state has to make laws to assure their employment?
I assume not as many as your household, but that’s irrelevant since we don’t look down on people for doing honest work. I know plenty of great people who started working at some of the bigger gas stations part-time in high school and were able to progress and build careers with the parent companies.

I can tell you guys and gals if any are here that it sucks to lose an instate kid you want badly. We have likes of Clemson, Auburn, FSU, and UF that are quite a bit closer to many areas of the state than UGA is, Clemson not so much, but the others certainly are. Then every top 20 program has Georgia as a state they want to establish recruiting ties. Quite a few Georgia kids leave the state. Kirby has done a better job of keeping kids home, one of CMR's last classes had 1 of the top 10 instate kids and he transferred after his frosh season. But 1 guy isn't going to make or break UK, move to the next guy, all you can do.

I can tell you guys and gals if any are here that it sucks to lose an instate kid you want badly. We have likes of Clemson, Auburn, FSU, and UF that are quite a bit closer to many areas of the state than UGA is, Clemson not so much, but the others certainly are. Then every top 20 program has Georgia as a state they want to establish recruiting ties. Quite a few Georgia kids leave the state. Kirby has done a better job of keeping kids home, one of CMR's last classes had 1 of the top 10 instate kids and he transferred after his frosh season. But 1 guy isn't going to make or break UK, move to the next guy, all you can do.
I don’t think many people feel like it a big loss cause I don’t think he fits with what Coen wants to do. It’s just why Rutgers for a kid from Kentucky? Random.

I agree, but I don't think he was wanted badly. We have lost some in state kids that hurt though. Damien Harris was a tough loss.

I agree, but I don't think he was wanted badly. We have lost some in state kids that hurt though. Damien Harris was a tough loss.

They are always kids you really dont know if you want or not. But why a program that seems like a lost cause. What are the CV chances of Rutgers being in the Big10 championship game? At best they are the number 4 team in their division, at worse UK is number r 3rd in their division. It just seems like an odd choice to me. But I have always said recruiting is about relationships, obviously he has great relationships with the Rutgers staff.

“Second only to west Virginia “ huh ? THEMS FIGHTIN WORDS !!

• Haha
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I grew up in a town so small we only had 3 gas stations, Gulf, Sinclair,and Ashland. The Sinclair guy started having his 19 year old daughter in law pump gas for customers. She always wore cutoff jeans and a halter top . He almost ran the other 2 guys out of business.It was mostly because she also cleaned the windshields. Guys would let coke dry in the sun on the windshield so she would have to work real hard to get it clean ,lol.

Last edited:
I’ll just say I’m proud of my fellow UK fans for their collective restraint in Wimsatt’s decision to go elsewhere.

In years past, there would have epic meltdowns and trashing of this young man’s character. I’m deeply disappointed but I can’t let my personal happiness depend on where an 18 year old decides to play ball.....
I agree with you but in this particular case I get the feeling there is just not a ton of disappointment as you would expect put there. I know that goes for me. Just believe we've already got some talent there & will get more & just need to find one or two to fit your system to carry the next four years or so.

ADVERTISEMENT