ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt to Rutgers

I always hate to see any highly regarded recruit go out of state, but I'm just not sure a dual-threat type QB such as Wimsatt is really the best fit for what Coen is trying to do anyway. A more traditional pocket passer type with a degree of mobility seems to fit this system the best.

Actually, being a great passer and a great runner is the def of a top ranked, dual threat QB. If the kid doesn't feel he can pass the ball well, and you know he doesn't think that way, then sure UK might not seem like the place for him. I doubt it has as much to do with the offense as it has to do with promises made and the ranking of the class under the current Rutgers coach. That's a TON of hype, and that's what sells kids these days.

When he starts getting taxed on his college education as payment for playing, he'll hate being in Jersey. Lol

I'm surprised he went that route, but kids make decisions that baffle adults all the time. He wasn't going to start for us as a freshman so I'm not concerned about things. We have 2 years to show what we have in this new offense. (I still think we need an excellent passer that is a great dual threat QB to win the SEC until/unless we have developed and/or recruited at least 4 star talent at 50% of scholarships at each position. Jmo

We will see if Shiano can do it twice at Rutgers. It'll be a little more difficult this time due to the conference change.
Anyway, no hard feelings to Rutgers or Wimsatt. In fact, I'll be pulling for them against teams like OSU. And I still remember how happy it made me when they spoiled UL's undefeated season all those years ago. Likely kept UL from the championship game. So if we can't have Wimsatt, Rutgers is just fine by me. And we'll be OK. I still say one of our best tools may be the portal. It will be LOADED with QBs who didn't win the battle at their current school and bolt.

I grew up in a town so small we only had 3 gas stations, Gulf, Sinclair,and Ashland. The Sinclair guy started having his 19 year old daughter in law pump gas for customers. She always wore cutoff jeans and a halter top . He almost ran the other 2 guys out of business.

when I was a kid, one station in particular always had some young guys manning the pumps. Wasn't any kind of store, didn't do auto repair, just sold gas and oil, lots of it. The owner would sit leaned back with feet on his desk, until a young lady pulled in. He would knock the young out of the way to get to her pump. Always smiling, would check oil, clean windshield always talking and smiling, amount of purchase didn't matter. It was pretty funny to watch, I would think quite a few young ladies got some free gas back in the day.

haha how's it feel to freeze your ass of at the pump while I sit in my warm car watching someone else does the work. Oh, and I probably pay less per gallon than you. So how's it feel? Pretty damn good.

And imagine thinking the beaches along the Kentucky shore are anything special. Oh wait, you have NO shore at all. I'll take any one of the Jersey shore's 130 miles of pristine coastline beaches over one of your swamp lake beaches any day.
Just curious what are gas prices there?

It simply isn't worth wringing your hands over. I had this girlfriend once... I don't think of her when I'm sitting across from wife at dinner, or ever, for that matter, other than to note that I don't.

My friend just spoke with OHS head coach and said Coen never came to visit or speak with Gavin. Rutgers called him everyday and UC often as well, also said if Gavin were to flip it would be to UC. It appears UK moved on and must have thought he’s not a fit for Coen’s offense.

Teams that are always tops in the nation always have a great QB, at least one that is better than most in the nation. The one position we need not worry too much about signing a 4 star QB out of our state just because he is rated high. That position has to have both internal and external can't miss qualities or we simply are not going to take that next step. That position not only has to have the physical skills but also that internal fighter mentality that I hope our newer coaches have the ability to spot.

Reactions: Girthang
when I was a kid, one station in particular always had some young guys manning the pumps. Wasn't any kind of store, didn't do auto repair, just sold gas and oil, lots of it. The owner would sit leaned back with feet on his desk, until a young lady pulled in. He would knock the young out of the way to get to her pump. Always smiling, would check oil, clean windshield always talking and smiling, amount of purchase didn't matter. It was pretty funny to watch, I would think quite a few young ladies got some free gas back in the day.

In about 1962 or 3 we went on a family trip to Florida to visit my older sister who lived in Clewiston.. Every gas station in every state back then filled your tank.. I remember going through Atlanta back then and to get on I-75 South you had to drive town.. I helped my dad take the right turns all the way across Atlanta.. My dad only had a 1st year education and was a terrible reader so I helped him.. Dad grew up having to work on the farm when he was a kid and was needed to help raise the crops.. Then he lived threw the Great Depression and had to make it by working..

I worked at a local station when I was young to get extra money to spend.. I have had a lot of experience pumping gas a diesel fuel.. Gas in those day's was only 18 to 25 cents for diesel and about 27 to 32 cents for gas.. We could drive all weekend on a dollars worth back then..

Nothing wrong with pumping your own gas or having someone else do it for you.. If your hands are to dainty to pump gas then wear gloves.. lol

GBB

In about 1962 or 3 we went on a family trip to Florida to visit my older sister who lived in Clewiston.. Every gas station in every state back then filled your tank.. I remember going through Atlanta back then and to get on I-75 South you had to drive town.. I helped my dad take the right turns all the way across Atlanta.. My dad only had a 1st year education and was a terrible reader so I helped him.. Dad grew up having to work on the farm when he was a kid and was needed to help raise the crops.. Then he lived threw the Great Depression and had to make it by working..

I worked at a local station when I was young to get extra money to spend.. I have had a lot of experience pumping gas a diesel fuel.. Gas in those day's was only 18 to 25 cents for diesel and about 27 to 32 cents for gas.. We could drive all weekend on a dollars worth back then..

Nothing wrong with pumping your own gas or having someone else do it for you.. If your hands are to dainty to pump gas then wear gloves.. lol

GBB
I‘ve always liked you , but now I like you even more !

You at least need to be objective if you are going to look at things:

1) NJ/NY fans are fickle but you better believe that when GS had the team winning during his last stint, there was a strong buzz around the program (even the Empire State Building was lit up in Rutgers colors)

2) RU has a dynamic OC who is a dream come true for a kid like this and his skillset. (Heck with limited talent in his first season, the team had Sportscenter highlight plays based on offensive creativity)

3) Since the time GS first left for the NFL, the program has basically not had a capable head coach (which coincided with a move into the Big 10) All you have to do is look at the competitiveness of games last season compared to previous years, to realize how effective the staff can be (despite having to rely primarily on portal players)

4) The staff's ability to recruit in just their first season speaks for itself

5) You need to keep in mind that up to this point, RU has been "competing" against Big 10 schools while receiving nearly 1/2 the Big 10 revenue share of their opponents (it's difficult to compete against programs when you have 1/2 their budget) That gap closes significantly beginning this year, and while Wimsatt is here, the revenue share will be equal to other programs, with RU receiving nearly 3 times the yearly revenue share than they have gotten in the past seasons. (Think about the difference trying to compete with $23 million compared to $70 million.)

6) When GS was last here, the team was in a bad conference and had awful facilities and he still managed to pull good local recruits because he is highly respected among HS coaches (and the Tri-state area consistently has recruiting depth). Now throw in an exciting OC, a strong national conference and ever improving facilities, and it's easy to see the future is bright.

7) Also let's not forget that the basketball team was just a basket away from making it into the Sweet 16.....athletics are on a huge upswing at the university.

Let's not forget just before Stoops was smart enough to see the great fan base and the opportunity in the SEC at UK we were in free fall with NOTHING above the bare minimum done for football for a full decade, resulting in losing 20,000 season ticket holders AND consecutive TWO OOC nobody win seasons.

Now you are starting from where we were almost a decade ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes you a full decade to get where we are now, facilities, coaches, conference, talent, recruiting, you name it,, not that close in anything. JMO

Did you have a football team before this late beginning, must have missed it.

And don't even be stupid enough to compare the basketball programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa

Dang!

Always knew I wanted to own a gas station Even back when I was in high school and it was a quarter a gallon. And the ones that had a car that I ran around with would empty all the used oil cans together until we had enough to put some oil in the car, and it was always needed.,

Imagine thinking the jersey shore is anything special lmao
Did you ever live there?
I did. I was stationed at Point Pleasant Beach and at Sandy Hook (I lived in the National Park) while in the Coast Guard back in the late 70's/early 80's.
My youngest son was born in Red Bank.
We would tow disabled commercial fishing boats in from off shore and the next morning there would be 5 or 6 cases of fresh seafood stacked on the front porch of the station. I would go into a local bar at Manasquan Inlet and never pay for drink or food. I tried but they would ignore my efforts.
There was always a cool breeze in the summer and the off shore winds kept winters relatively mild compared to further in shore.
The locals were good people but the summer tourists left a lot to be desired.
It ain't KY but it is a nice place to live.

GBB

Atlanta has always been a mess. My aunt as nd uncle lived in Atlanta. I can remember visiting and getting back on 75 being an adventure. The ramp required you to stop if it wasnt CV learned, no blending in with the traffic. But not near as much traffic as there is today.

Gas was cheap, I can remember paying 14 cents a gallon during a gas war between stations and 32 cents a gallon got you high octane. Then the gas shortage, more than doubled the cost, and has worked multiple times since the first one in 73 I think.

Atlanta has always been a mess. My aunt as nd uncle lived in Atlanta. I can remember visiting and getting back on 75 being an adventure. The ramp required you to stop if it wasnt CV learned, no blending in with the traffic. But not near as much traffic as there is today.

Gas was cheap, I can remember paying 14 cents a gallon during a gas war between stations and 32 cents a gallon got you high octane. Then the gas shortage, more than doubled the cost, and has worked multiple times since the first one in 73 I think.
Gas wars in the 60's and 70's were always happening. I remember in the mid 60's on three of the four corners of an intersection, a Shell, Gulf and Pure Station price battling. Stations then did mechanic work, tire sales/ changes and pumped your gas/cleaned you windshield and checked you oil and it only cost you .19-25 cents a gallon. In 1972 I could fill up my 65 Mustang fastback for less than $5. I could also get a burger for .30 cents and fries for 15 cents....life was good back then, a dollar went a long way.

Gas wars in the 60's and 70's were always happening. I remember in the mid 60's on three of the four corners of an intersection, a Shell, Gulf and Pure Station price battling. Stations then did mechanic work, tire sales/ changes and pumped your gas/cleaned you windshield and checked you oil and it only cost you .19-25 cents a gallon. In 1972 I could fill up my 65 Mustang fastback for less than $5. I could also get a burger for .30 cents and fries for 15 cents....life was good back then, a dollar went a long way.

Yeah it was, movies 75 cents, pizza a couple bucks, drinks a quarter. I can remember buying gas for 14 cents a gallon during a gas war. Little independent stations would watch each other's signs and lower their price.

Never thought I would see a recruiting post that discuss pumping gas. Growing up in the late fifties, early sixties I pump gas in my Dad's Service Station every evening after school, weekends and summer all day long seven days a week. Yes, we had to clean the windshield and check the oil on every car. Wasn't fun watching my friends have so much free time while I had to work. But, work was easy when I got an eight hour work day six days a week.

Also never thought I would ever see people pumping their gas or the price of gas it is today. Now back to football.

My friend just spoke with OHS head coach and said Coen never came to visit or speak with Gavin. Rutgers called him everyday and UC often as well, also said if Gavin were to flip it would be to UC. It appears UK moved on and must have thought he’s not a fit for Coen’s offense.
Good luck this upcoming season and I hope you make some noise in the SEC. We certainly know what it is like to be in a very tough conference and not one of the traditional football blue bloods. While I am thrilled to get Wimsatt because I think he is a perfect fit for the O we run and extremely talented, I am also as thrilled that he did not fit your needs. Perhaps both teams can surprise a bunch of people and end up playing in a nice new years day bowl game in a couple years. Now that would be fun!!!

Oh and having somebody pump your gas is great. That being said somebody asked why that happens in NJ. Well one of the few ugly parts of the state (and honestly it is called the Garden State for a reason because there are many beautiful spots) is where the third largest oil port in the US is located. It is up just outside of NYC. Hence the gas lobbyists have somehow gotten pumping gas as a law. But as somebody born and raised in NJ. I love the confusion from individuals from other states when this subject comes up.

Finally, I will also admit that I was pleasantly surprised when I went to Kentucky a few years back for a conference. I was in Louisville and had a blast. I hope to make it to Lexington as well and experience it. And I will never send hate towards your school because if it produces Ashley Judd as a fan, you can't hate that.

Good luck this upcoming season and I hope you make some noise in the SEC. We certainly know what it is like to be in a very tough conference and not one of the traditional football blue bloods. While I am thrilled to get Wimsatt because I think he is a perfect fit for the O we run and extremely talented, I am also as thrilled that he did not fit your needs. Perhaps both teams can surprise a bunch of people and end up playing in a nice new years day bowl game in a couple years. Now that would be fun!!!

Oh and having somebody pump your gas is great. That being said somebody asked why that happens in NJ. Well one of the few ugly parts of the state (and honestly it is called the Garden State for a reason because there are many beautiful spots) is where the third largest oil port in the US is located. It is up just outside of NYC. Hence the gas lobbyists have somehow gotten pumping gas as a law. But as somebody born and raised in NJ. I love the confusion from individuals from other states when this subject comes up.

Finally, I will also admit that I was pleasantly surprised when I went to Kentucky a few years back for a conference. I was in Louisville and had a blast. I hope to make it to Lexington as well and experience it. And I will never send hate towards your school because if it produces Ashley Judd as a fan, you can't hate that.
I just posted without reading this. You around?

Hate to break it to you but , she’s not that popular here .

Coaches know better sometimes.

We win some we loose some wish the kid the best.

The new OC will seek out and land a great QB get in the next class I feel.

I'm gonna guess it will take an extra year, but like your optimism and hope the OC has success as well as sticks around a while to get such a QB. If he has success it will be hard to keep him

I really don't see this as much of a loss ,, at Rutgers he most likely starts next season at UK I doubt he would make 3rd string

Reactions: yoshukai
Saw this posted on uofl board.

Okay I talked to Coach Fallin of Owensboro High School and asked him about Gavin’s recruitment and his decision to go to Rutgers. He said that Ukay and Louisville did a good job recruiting, but Shiano did a better job. He did mention that Ukay not having a OC really hurt their chances due to the Rams were playing in the playoffs etc before he started, but still thinks he would have picked Rutgers due to Shiano and the job he did on selling playing at Rutgers amongst the BigTen. Coach Fallin didn’t say anything bad about Louisville and their recruitment into Gavin, for he thought at times GW was interested, but in the end Shiano sold him on playing in one of the top conferences in the country, and depending WHO you talk to THE top conference. So he is going to have a chance to go play from day one as their #1 QB playing games against Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Mich State, Indiana every year not to mention teams from the other division and out of conference play, and they are on the BigTen Network which is available here in Owensboro where his friends and family will be able to watch him. Yes I know the SECN and the ACCN is available too, but that was his decision and Coach Fallin said he was awfully proud of him making a decision to go play there than the easy decision to stay home and play for a State school.

ADVERTISEMENT