ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt to Rutgers

Sort of like Wandale Robinson and Nebraska. That one made no sense either. But of all the in-state guys, I'd rather keep the linemen we've been getting. QB is something you can upgrade through the transfer portal.
Looking like a great shot at getting some GREAT news on the 17th...

Reactions: SmedMoley
Somewhat agree but I think Rutgers could assure a chance at early PT. UK's past that stage now, just have to show an exciting O to lure these guys. UK has at least 5 QBs who could be judged to be ahead of Wimsett and they'll be here multiple years.
5 ? You need to be objective if you want to be taken seriously; otherwise, you may be what some may refer to as a "HOMER"

The only QB on current roster that I would want over Wimsett is Allen.

Somewhat agree but I think Rutgers could assure a chance at early PT. UK's past that stage now, just have to show an exciting O to lure these guys. UK has at least 5 QBs who could be judged to be ahead of Wimsett and they'll be here multiple years.
You do know that Rutgers has a highly rated class of 2019 QB transfer from Baylor. Also a dual threat QB. Early PT will be an uphill battle. One of them will ultimately transfer.

5 ? You need to be objective if you want to be taken seriously; otherwise, you may be what some may refer to as a "HOMER"

Likewise! You don't think these guys already at school, going through Spring Ball as we speak, would be ahead of Gavin? And they have multiple years of eligibility left.

We haven’t seen enough of any our QBs to make any kind of assessment like that. New coaches seem to know QBs and are doing things the last coaches didn’t. So chill out “homer”. Let’s see what we’ve got.

Reactions: SosaUK87
You do know that Rutgers has a highly rated class of 2019 QB transfer from Baylor. Also a dual threat QB. Early PT will be an uphill battle. One of them will ultimately transfer.
Powell,the Baylor transfer, has already been moved to DB. We have Nebraska transfer and current starter Vedral. A moxie dual threat with a very limited arm who will graduate after this year and Art Sitkowski a former 4 start recruit pro style qb as a backup who still hasn’t caught up to the speed of the game. He did make some strides last year. After that there is no order. QB will be wide open at RU by the time Gavin arrives.

Sort of like Wandale Robinson and Nebraska. That one made no sense either. But of all the in-state guys, I'd rather keep the linemen we've been getting. QB is something you can upgrade through the transfer portal.
I somewhat understood going to Nebraska. Storied program, hot new HC, probably a better fit offensively. I just don’t get wanting to go to Rutgers. That may be the least desirable power five school in college football IMO. They are a punching bag in their conference and it’s in freaking New Jersey.

Who commits to Rutgers lol. Career ruined
You do realize that Rutgers currently has the 7th ranked class in the country.
5 4 stars already and another coming soon.
If Rutgers stops recruiting right now, it will still be a top 20 class
Schiano is the real deal
He got Rutgers to the top 10 the last time he was at Rutgers and that was without the Big Ten

I agree as long as we don’t lose Gatewood, if he loses the competition. If he stays we have great depth for the next 4 years and maybe 5 if Sheron develops.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
He's not a quarterback anymore

I dont understand this move either but WR went to the hottest coaching name out there at the time he was great and very WR friendly at UCF. He hasnt worked out at Nebraska, but he isnt playing the likes of Memphis,Florida Atlantic. He wasnt able to deliver as promised and WR left.

Kids have to to what they feel showcased their talents. At that time he didnt think blocking for BS, who was outstanding, would get him to the NFL.

The new OC and the promise of a friendlier WR offense has brought him home.

I somewhat understood going to Nebraska. Storied program, hot new HC, probably a better fit offensively. I just don’t get wanting to go to Rutgers. That may be the least desirable power five school in college football IMO. They are a punching bag in their conference and it’s in freaking New Jersey.
And what do you actually know about NJ? My guess not much. Rutgers is 1 hr train ride from NYC and Philly. Not to mention you have the shore as well. Academically it's highly rated. Schiano has a track record for preparing and putting guys in the NFL. Rutgers was competitive in 2014 in its first year in the B1G when it was a team mostly of Schiano guys being coached by Kyle Flood. From 2008-2012 Schiano had a lot of 4* and some 5* down to RU or a B1G/SEC choice. Being in the Big East we would always lose out. Now that we are in the B1G, he's closing.

SchianoMan messing around with a Top 10 class.

He is off to a good start, but I will be surprised if he finishes top 20. Alot like UCF north went on a tear with multiple commits climbing to #2. Things fell apart, their top commit recommitted, then their top 2 signees refused to enrolled ask for and were granted their release.

But they are off to a good start on the class, but only averaging about 90 points per commit. Roughly 1000 points behind number one OSU who is in their division.

I always hate to see any highly regarded recruit go out of state, but I'm just not sure a dual-threat type QB such as Wimsatt is really the best fit for what Coen is trying to do anyway. A more traditional pocket passer type with a degree of mobility seems to fit this system the best.

And what do you actually know about NJ? My guess not much. Rutgers is 1 hr train ride from NYC and Philly. Not to mention you have the shore as well. Academically it's highly rated. Schiano has a track record for preparing and putting guys in the NFL. Rutgers was competitive in 2014 in its first year in the B1G when it was a team mostly of Schiano guys being coached by Kyle Flood. From 2008-2012 Schiano had a lot of 4* and some 5* down to RU or a B1G/SEC choice. Being in the Big East we would always lose out. Now that we are in the B1G, he's closing.
Imagine thinking the jersey shore is anything special lmao

How’s it feel to not be allowed to pump your own gas?

You at least need to be objective if you are going to look at things:

1) NJ/NY fans are fickle but you better believe that when GS had the team winning during his last stint, there was a strong buzz around the program (even the Empire State Building was lit up in Rutgers colors)

2) RU has a dynamic OC who is a dream come true for a kid like this and his skillset. (Heck with limited talent in his first season, the team had Sportscenter highlight plays based on offensive creativity)

3) Since the time GS first left for the NFL, the program has basically not had a capable head coach (which coincided with a move into the Big 10) All you have to do is look at the competitiveness of games last season compared to previous years, to realize how effective the staff can be (despite having to rely primarily on portal players)

4) The staff's ability to recruit in just their first season speaks for itself

5) You need to keep in mind that up to this point, RU has been "competing" against Big 10 schools while receiving nearly 1/2 the Big 10 revenue share of their opponents (it's difficult to compete against programs when you have 1/2 their budget) That gap closes significantly beginning this year, and while Wimsatt is here, the revenue share will be equal to other programs, with RU receiving nearly 3 times the yearly revenue share than they have gotten in the past seasons. (Think about the difference trying to compete with $23 million compared to $70 million.)

6) When GS was last here, the team was in a bad conference and had awful facilities and he still managed to pull good local recruits because he is highly respected among HS coaches (and the Tri-state area consistently has recruiting depth). Now throw in an exciting OC, a strong national conference and ever improving facilities, and it's easy to see the future is bright.

7) Also let's not forget that the basketball team was just a basket away from making it into the Sweet 16.....athletics are on a huge upswing at the university.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT