ADVERTISEMENT

Will Tommy Turtleneck soon be regretting the move to ACC??

sambowieshin

All-American
Nov 27, 2009
Louisville may never again see a 1 seed going up against the old guard of Duke and UNCheat in the ACC. The ACC away games will actually be against teams with a pulse and a crowd unlike much of the waaaaay over rated Big Least scrubs like DePaul and Rutgers. And in football they will never again waltz into an Orange bowl without having to actually play some real football teams for a change. Be careful what you wish for.....because sometimes your dreams become nightmares.

I think when Pitino leaves they better bring in a coach that can recruit top talent or UL is going to become a middle of the pack ACC team.

I think it's the ACC that will regret having UofL. We already know about UNC problems and some the things at the U. Now you bring in a mid-level college with a below average fanbase. UofL is not a top-tier education school. You have Rick and Petrino's problems, along with a university with no morals. I really don't see what the ACC gained by bringing in UofL. When Rick is done coaching Louisville will be a middle of the road school along the likes of NC state, Wake Forest etc..

Originally posted by Oak_Hill:
I think it's the ACC that will regret having UofL. We already know about UNC problems and some the things at the U. Now you bring in a mid-level college with a below average fanbase. UofL is not a top-tier education school. You have Rick and Petrino's problems, along with a university with no morals. I really don't see what the ACC gained by bringing in UofL. When Rick is done coaching Louisville will be a middle of the road school along the likes of NC state, Wake Forest etc..
Louisville will regret being there and the ACC will regret having them, but it's not a big deal. Within 8-10 yeas MAX they will bail to whatever mid-major conference will have them.

I highly doubt he will regret it. The move was made for the benefit of football, so basketball is just collateral damage.

Even though some say the Big East was overrated, the truth is that it was a formidable basketball conference. It collapsed because of lack of football revenue. Louisville had success in the Big East and I expect they will have success in the ACC as well. As much as I'd like to be wrong about this, I think I'm probably right...playing in the ACC should also enhance their recruiting in the long run. Again, I hope I'm wrong, and that they become of mid-level team in that conference -- it is possible...

Originally posted by sambowieshin:
Louisville may never again see a 1 seed going up against the old guard of Duke and UNCheat in the ACC. The ACC away games will actually be against teams with a pulse and a crowd unlike much of the waaaaay over rated Big Least scrubs like DePaul and Rutgers. And in football they will never again waltz into an Orange bowl without having to actually play some real football teams for a change. Be careful what you wish for.....because sometimes your dreams become nightmares.
UL is already the 3rd best basketball program in the ACC, behind only Duke and UNCheat. Other ACC teams have gotten 1 seeds so it's not hard to imagine UL getting an occasional 1 seed. Funny that you only mention DePaul and Rutgers from the old Big East. You left out UConn, Gerogetown, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, and Villanova among others.

I expect UL to be very competitive in football for the next several years. ACC football is just FSU and then all the rest.

No. UL need to be in one of the power 5 league. With the changes the Power 5 are making in athletics, they would be stuck in a conference being left out.

The ACC is desperately what Louisville needed. They will be there a long time. The best basketball league in the country and Louisville proved this year they could play with the best in ACC football. Its a top shelf league and regrettably Louisville is now in it

Actually, UofL is currently sitting at the fourth best team in the ACC behind Duke, UNCheat, and Virginia with the possibility of sliding further given the road game environments in the ACC.They will definitely love the ACC money but may not like the lower seeding and second tier bowls they will probably get as a result of a better conference top to bottom.

Of course they will not regret it. They needed a seat at the Big Boy table and the ACC provided it. The ACC is a much better fit than the Big 12 would have been and that was their only other option.

I do think it will be some hard medicine for their admin and fans to swallow that they are not the juggernaut that they thought they were, but it's preferable to being on the outside looking in.

The good news is that they should never win a league title in football, basketball, or baseball again. They're in the same division as FSU and Clemson in football. They have to beat Duke, UNC, Cuse, UVA, and others in basketball. And baseball has FSU, UNC, UVA, Miami to make sure that UL knows its place.

It's only a matter of time before they fade into the background a bit, so enjoy the ride.

Actually, UofL is currently sitting at the fourth best team in the ACC behind Duke, UNCheat, and Virginia with the possibility of sliding further given the road game environments in the ACC.They will definitely love the ACC money but may not like the lower seeding and second tier bowls they will probably get as a result of a better conference top to bottom.
I wasn't talking about this year's conference standings, but overall program accomplishments. UL basketball, as a program, is superior to every ACC school but UNCheat and Duke.

As for football, they had the misfortune of being placed in the same division as FSU and Clemson, which greatly diminishes their chances of winning a league title. In the other division, there's no reason to think they couldn't reach the ACC championship game on occasion. Hell, Duke did it this year.

Originally posted by STUCKNBIG10:
Of course they will not regret it. They needed a seat at the Big Boy table and the ACC provided it. The ACC is a much better fit than the Big 12 would have been and that was their only other option.

I do think it will be some hard medicine for their admin and fans to swallow that they are not the juggernaut that they thought they were, but it's preferable to being on the outside looking in.

The good news is that they should never win a league title in football, basketball, or baseball again. They're in the same division as FSU and Clemson in football. They have to beat Duke, UNC, Cuse, UVA, and others in basketball. And baseball has FSU, UNC, UVA, Miami to make sure that UL knows its place.

It's only a matter of time before they fade into the background a bit, so enjoy the ride.
I don't like UL either. But if schools like Wake Forest, Miami, and Virginia can win a league title in basketball, there's no reason UL can't.

People who think UL will become a bottom feeder in all ACC sports haven't been paying attention over the last 40+ years.

Louisville should have no trouble being competitive in basketball whichever conference they are in. Better conference affiliation should help recruiting.

lol CRP said they would lose over half of the game remaining on their schedule

Originally posted by ukalum:
UL is already the 3rd best basketball program in the ACC, behind only Duke and UNCheat. Other ACC teams have gotten 1 seeds so it's not hard to imagine UL getting an occasional 1 seed. Funny that you only mention DePaul and Rutgers from the old Big East. You left out UConn, Gerogetown, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, and Villanova among others.
I expect UL to be very competitive in football for the next several years. ACC football is just FSU and then all the rest.
3rd, I don't know, VA would probably argue that point.

Originally posted by KYCAT78:

I think when Pitino leaves they better bring in a coach that can recruit top talent or UL is going to become a middle of the pack ACC team.
I understand Rick Jr. has been told he will get the job when his dad retires. I sure hope so. I believe he could last at least twice as long as CRP (maybe 30 seconds).

In short...No...They won't regret it. It was a move made specifically for football, and this past season proved that move has already worked out. The ACC is not a powerful football conference, and UofL will be able to compete with the likes of Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech year in and year out. Florida State is obviously the cream of the crop, but the second best team in that conference is up for grabs.

That being said....UofL's struggles early in conference play are not because they're playing a tougher schedule than they normally would. They are, to be sure, but the real fact is...They're just not that good. Why anyone would expect a team to improve after losing 3 of its most important players is beyond me. Chris Jones is undersized in many games, can't distribute the ball, and certainly can't shoot. Rozier is streaky at best. Harrell is athletic, but really has no skills. He stands along the baseline and waits for offensive rebounds or passes for dunks and that's it. He guards himself much of the time, and disappears in big games (see UK, UNC, Duke). They lack depth. Very good defensively, but can't score enough to render it that effective against good teams who are also good defensively. The fact is, UofL is a top 10-15 team in America at best...They were riding on reputation until now, and they're getting exposed.

Originally posted by Poetax:

Originally posted by ukalum:
3rd, I don't know, VA would probably argue that point.
He clearly stated in a follow up that he meant historically. You may want to read all the posts next time before commenting.

ADVERTISEMENT