ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to the BIG

So judging by my history, you’re making it about politics?
It is about politics, and nothing else, you do not need any votes other than the one of the state where the potential new member is coming from, and, it only pertains to Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana State, and South Carolina. Those are the charter members plus SC that can veto...Florida would have to OK FSU, Miami; Georgia -Georgia Tech, Kentucky-Louisville, LSU-Tulane, South Carolina - Clemson. That is it.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It is about politics, and nothing else, you do not need any votes other than the one of the state where the potential new member is coming from, and, it only pertains to Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana State, and South Carolina. Those are the charter members plus SC that can veto...Florida would have to OK FSU, Miami; Georgia -Georgia Tech, Kentucky-Louisville, LSU-Tulane, South Carolina - Clemson. That is it.
Fair enough. That’s not really what we were talking about though.

They would fight it and worst case scenario settle in the middle somewhere. Would they pay $60 million to get out?
To get out is a lot more than $120M exit fee. ACC would own all their TV money till 2035 no matter who pays it, ACC or SEC or Big 10.

So probably talking $500-$600M. Would you take a discount on that?? Why would Syracuse and Wake Forrest give away millions to help FSU?

No schools have veto rights. An invitation to join the SEC requires three-fourths of the member schools to vote yes.

If a school like Florida wants to exclude a school like FSU, then they have to convince other schools to also vote no. Florida can’t simply veto an invitation on their own.

FSU might join the B1G, but that is questionable. The cost to do could exceed $100 million in GOR, conference penalty, and legal fees. While anything is negotiable, the only escape hatch for the 'Noles would be if the conference "imploded", which would require at least 8 members leaving simultaneously (which isn't going to happen).FSU doesn't have that kind of mpney.
As to the B1G taking them in, they would add a footprint in the state of Florida, but there already are so many transplants that one could reasonably argue that league already has a footprint in the Sunshine State. Further, FSU is not an AAU member, so the B1G would have to take a hit to its academic reputation.
The SEC is currently only interested in two ACC schools .... UNC and UVA. The ship sailed on FSU 30 years ago when Bobby Bowden uttered his famous quote about preferring to be a "live chickenin the ACC rather thans a dead duck in the SEC".

To get out is a lot more than $120M exit fee. ACC would own all their TV money till 2035 no matter who pays it, ACC or SEC or Big 10.

So probably talking $500-$600M. Would you take a discount on that?? Why would Syracuse and Wake Forrest give away millions to help FSU?
I think the idea is if FSU and Clemson, for instance, said we’re leaving and will fight it out legally then your ULs and wake’s would be forced to make their own moves. I think that’s why you hear so many rumors of the “other schools” grouping together and talking to the B12.

FSU might join the B1G, but that is questionable. The cost to do could exceed $100 million in GOR, conference penalty, and legal fees. While anything is negotiable, the only escape hatch for the 'Noles would be if the conference "imploded", which would require at least 8 members leaving simultaneously (which isn't going to happen).FSU doesn't have that kind of mpney.
As to the B1G taking them in, they would add a footprint in the state of Florida, but there already are so many transplants that one could reasonably argue that league already has a footprint in the Sunshine State. Further, FSU is not an AAU member, so the B1G would have to take a hit to its academic reputation.
The SEC is currently only interested in two ACC schools .... UNC and UVA. The ship sailed on FSU 30 years ago when Bobby Bowden uttered his famous quote about preferring to be a "live chickenin the ACC rather thans a dead duck in the SEC".
Not sure a Bobby Bowden statement from 30 years ago is going to be very relevant.

Reactions: Rockford
Not sure a Bobby Bowden statement from 30 years ago is going to be very relevant.
The point being that FSU had its chance to join the SEC and that ship sailed long ago. FSU simply will not add value (revenue or top-rated academics) to the SEC, which already has a large footprint in the state with respect to recruiting and TV viewers.

As long as 2 members of the ACC stay in the ACC it's still a conference and the members leaving have to pay. From earlier votes the majority want to stay. So once again FSU is rattling their Saber. But thy haven been talking to the Big10, playing in Mich in Dec. doesn't excite them. That old agreement between UGA, UF, UK and Crackolina no longer works, the addition of Texas and OU makes that a thing of the pass.

But getting left out of the playoffs probably won't happen again with 12 teams getting in until they change the number.

It’s all about television sets and the SEC doesn’t need FSU when they have Florida. The only interest in FSU would be to block the BIG 10 out of Florida.
I expect the next SEC additions to come from the Carolinas, UNC and/or Clemson. This is the region where the SEC would like TV sets

It’s all about television sets and the SEC doesn’t need FSU when they have Florida. The only interest in FSU would be to block the BIG 10 out of Florida.
I expect the next SEC additions to come from the Carolinas, UNC and/or Clemson. This is the region where the SEC would like TV sets
What’s wrong with the tv sets in Va?

My “dream” scenario would be to just add UNC and UVA.

And Ga Tech but only because I live 3 blocks from campus.
Did you know ga tech and Tulane along with Kentucky were the founding members of the sec

I wouldn’t mind having more “basketball-oriented” schools join the conference. I’d rather have KU and Duke than Texas or OU.
Basketball doesn’t pay the bills, football does. Conference realignment is about nothing more than money. Texas and Oklahoma bring that WAY more than Duke and Kansas

Reactions: Fox2monk
Basketball doesn’t pay the bills, football does. Conference realignment is about nothing more than money. Texas and Oklahoma bring that WAY more than Duke and Kansas
I can dream. Hate having more great football teams to deal with. The basketball team has certainly benefited from this historically “semi-rec team” conference.

I can dream. Hate having more great football teams to deal with. The basketball team has certainly benefited from this historically “semi-rec team” conference.
It’s as good as any conference in basketball now. Probably has something to do with football money too.

FSU and Clemson have been rattling sabers for a couple years going to leave the ACC if we don't get more of the TV money that the other members. They have had lawyers go over the contract for an exit route that would allow them to keep their media rights. They still in ACC, if there was an exit route they would be out by now.

It was posted here that if the entire conference voted to dissolve the ACC it voided the contract, the entire conference isn't wanting out, only 4-5 schools.

They are upset for being left out of the playoff, they can thank their very own commissioner. If he had voted for the 12 team playoff to start this year, not in 24, they would be in the playoff..

But as someone above posted, we don't want the Big10 with a foothold in one of the SEC's riches recruiting areas,. Now the only teams that really recruit the southeast hard are OSU, Mich and PSU will occasionally come it. But they will all show up if they have games in the deep south.
The ACC only needs 8 schools to agree to dissolve. It was reported they only needed 1 more, but couldn't get it. Also, ACC is trying to add schools which will make that 8 number go up and look in the Grant of Rights for the rebel schools for another decade.

Exactly. All sec needs is two of UNC Clemson Florida st and however you of Virginia and Miami

My preference is unc is first choice and Clemson or fsu second
Forget Miami. They are just Vandy on roids. They are a private school that does not fund athletics anywhere close to what the SEC does. They don't even have their own football stadium. They made some promises to lure Cristobal, but they are miles away from being attractive to the SEC.

The ACC only needs 8 schools to agree to dissolve. It was reported they only needed 1 more, but couldn't get it. Also, ACC is trying to add schools which will make that 8 number go up and look in the Grant of Rights for the rebel schools for another decade.
Are you sure that adding schools would make the number go up? Doesn’t seem like the contract would work that way but I guess it could.

Forget Miami. They are just Vandy on roids. They are a private school that does not fund athletics anywhere close to what the SEC does. They don't even have their own football stadium. They made some promises to lure Cristobal, but they are miles away from being attractive to the SEC.
True, but best road trip.

It's a 75% vote now, so 11/14 to admit UT & OU and 12/16 moving forward. There is no one school veto, though any school could have side agreements with other schools to vote as a block of veto votes, so that would now take 4 schools to collude.

Not trying to offend the educated Tallahassee folks, but FSU simply does not meet the academic standards of the BIG whatever… all about footprint and profile.

FSU simply doesn’t have it.

Reactions: KYExtemper
It's a 75% vote now, so 11/14 to admit UT & OU and 12/16 moving forward. There is no one school veto, though any school could have side agreements with other schools to vote as a block of veto votes, so that would now take 4 schools to collude.
Thanks for the veto info. I dont
for a minute doubt what you have said. I do believe
however if particularly one of the charter schools objected to having a school from there state come in that the charters would block vote to veto.

Reactions: satcheluk
I did know Ga Tech was.
So was University of South/Suwanee. They left only after three years. Tech and Tulane stayed into around 1965. Ga. Tech advocated for limit on football scholarships which the big boys vetoed. Some said academics also had some part. Tulane was academics, $, and they weren't very competitive. Ga. Tech recovered by eventually joining the ACC. Tulane never really has although the last several years being part of the AAC and the fact that they are very competitive in football and baseball has helped them a lot. The original charter members besides the aforementioned three were Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss. State, LSU, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt. They broke from the Southern Conference in 1933. In 1954, Clemson, Duke, Maryland, NC State, North Carolina at Chapel Hill, South Carolina, and Wake Forest left the Southern Conference to create the Atlantic Coast Conference. Beginning in 1954 until about say 1970 or so the Southern Conference contained West Virginia, VMI, Richmond, William & Mary, Davidson, Furman, Virginia Tech, Washington & Lee, The Citadel, and George Washington. Since then membership in the Southern has shifted sadly.

Reactions: Rockford
There are several articles stating that FSU will be in the BIG by 2025. If this is officially announced, Sanky should be fired the next day. There is talk that the BIG teams will make 20 million more/year than SEC teams. Even if you dont want FSU in the SEC, It is all about premium content. If the BIG adds FSU and 2 to 4 other ACC teams while the SEC does nothing, the SEC will loose its place as the primere football conference.
One thing I can surmise from reading this is that we have a serious boner for seeking people lose their job.

There are several articles stating that FSU will be in the BIG by 2025. If this is officially announced, Sanky should be fired the next day. There is talk that the BIG teams will make 20 million more/year than SEC teams. Even if you dont want FSU in the SEC, It is all about premium content. If the BIG adds FSU and 2 to 4 other ACC teams while the SEC does nothing, the SEC will loose its place as the primere football conference.
No they won’t. It’s gonna be 2 super conference and they will never make more than the SEC maybe a couple years until the SEC signs a new deal for more $.

however if particularly one of the charter schools objected to having a school from there state come in that the charters would block vote to veto.
Indeed. As with any vote, members can vote as they wish and are allowed to collude, which would be necessary in order to prevent a school from joining the league, though it was brought up often during the UT/OU process, as aTm did not want UTx to join and Sankey said those old gentlemen's agreements were no longer valid in this current iteration of the SEC.

Might as well be 50, those schools clearly like what they have. Didn't they just add 3 or 4 schools, I bet they vote to remain a conference. With those additions is more stable than before. FSU rattling that saber, won't get them out of ACC without financial disaster but might help next playoff if they are on the fringe. Put the blame where it belongs, no idea what ACC commissioner was thinking when he voted no 12 team in 23, it's cost him, his conference and FSU.

Indeed. As with any vote, members can vote as they wish and are allowed to collude, which would be necessary in order to prevent a school from joining the league, though it was brought up often during the UT/OU process, as aTm did not want UTx to join and Sankey said those old gentlemen's agreements were no longer valid in this current iteration of the SEC.
I want to know what Sankey has on the the Presidents and ADs in the league. He ruined college athletics by letting North Carolina at Chapel Hill walk thus the NIL and transfer portal and wild Wild West operations of college athletics. How can anything be enforced when you let the biggest cheaters of all time walk. Sankey has reversed the role between him and Presidents and ADs. He is supposed to work for them. He is supposed to carry out policy not dictate it. What an asshole.

That charter deal is out the window today. The 4 schools that have ACC members instate had a little arrangement to keep those teams out of the SEC. When we added Texas and OU, those 4 could not keep a team out. ATM didn't want Texas in the SEC, tried to block it and was steamrolled over, I am afraid the rest of us are going to see why they didn't want Texas in soon when they try to take over the conference. I would like to see FSU, Miami, Clemson and Tech, just to keep the Big 10 out of the deep south, but that won't be the 4 teams. GT fits into Big10, Miami does too and Virginia all fit the Big10's stated criteria academically for admission. FSU, Clemson do not, I don't know about NC State and VT.

Reactions: satcheluk
The B1G let Oregon in and it immediately became the worst academic school in the league. If they were so academic oriented they wanted an Oregon school they would have chosen Oregon State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT