ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to the BIG

Cat_Man_Blue

Sophomore
Jan 5, 2003
There are several articles stating that FSU will be in the BIG by 2025. If this is officially announced, Sanky should be fired the next day. There is talk that the BIG teams will make 20 million more/year than SEC teams. Even if you dont want FSU in the SEC, It is all about premium content. If the BIG adds FSU and 2 to 4 other ACC teams while the SEC does nothing, the SEC will loose its place as the primere football conference.

LOL. FSU to the ACC because they can’t afford to leave the ACC. We have to go through this every year. There $120 million buyout and they signed their GOR away until 2036.

Also they’re not an AAU school and play like 18 sports when most B1G schools play 30 or more. The only place they’re going is to the kleenex factory for tissues to wipe away all those tears.

Reactions: truckbrandon
The Big could be worth more because of the west coast audience, throw in FSU which inevitably probably means Miami, and now they have a southern foothold too.

Sanky needs to lock up Texas, specifically eastern mega population part of the state. He got the aggies, and Horns. Go ahead and snag Houston, SMU, Baylor. Sprinkle in a little Zona and ASU...bam...super conferences complete.

Everyone else gets regulated down like in Euro Soccer and can reform some sort of NCAA or come up with something else...who cares.

The Big could be worth more because of the west coast audience, throw in FSU which inevitably probably means Miami, and now they have a southern foothold too.

Sanky needs to lock up Texas, specifically eastern mega population part of the state. He got the aggies, and Horns. Go ahead and snag Houston, SMU, Baylor. Sprinkle in a little Zona and ASU...bam...super conferences complete.

Everyone else gets regulated down like in Euro Soccer and can reform some sort of NCAA or come up with something else...who cares.
No need for any Texas schools beyond the 2 we have. That covers 90% of the state w TTU making up the rest of the fans.

We need 1 NC school (UNC or NC State) to get into the NC market and then you add 1 Virginia school. Anyone who has been around VA knows VT is the bigger Virginia brand. UVA doesn’t fit culturally and has more in common with Duke and the NE. The “States” school is VT. Tech also has a huge fanbase in the DC area as well as VT bars in most major cities…sandiego included….this is due to them being a Corps of Cadets school like Texas AM that produces tons of Military Officers

Lock down VA and NC and you lock down the entire southern footprint TV Market.

No need for any Texas schools beyond the 2 we have. That covers 90% of the state w TTU making up the rest of the fans.

We need 1 NC school (UNC or NC State) to get into the NC market and then you add 1 Virginia school. Anyone who has been around VA knows VT is the bigger Virginia brand. UVA doesn’t fit culturally and has more in common with Duke and the NE. The “States” school is VT. Tech also has a huge fanbase in the DC area as well as VT bars in most major cities…sandiego included….this is due to them being a Corps of Cadets school like Texas AM that produces tons of Military Officers

I’ve lived in Virginia a large portion of my adult life (Alexandria, Va Beach, south central) and Tech has and will always be the states football school. It would be a no brainer bringing them in and would also maybe open up some fertile recruiting ground. I respect UVA as they are one of the top non-Ivy League schools in the nation but they would never be a cultural fit, same for a school like Duke; would basically be adding another Vandy to the conference.

FSU and Clemson have been rattling sabers for a couple years going to leave the ACC if we don't get more of the TV money that the other members. They have had lawyers go over the contract for an exit route that would allow them to keep their media rights. They still in ACC, if there was an exit route they would be out by now.

It was posted here that if the entire conference voted to dissolve the ACC it voided the contract, the entire conference isn't wanting out, only 4-5 schools.

They are upset for being left out of the playoff, they can thank their very own commissioner. If he had voted for the 12 team playoff to start this year, not in 24, they would be in the playoff..

But as someone above posted, we don't want the Big10 with a foothold in one of the SEC's riches recruiting areas,. Now the only teams that really recruit the southeast hard are OSU, Mich and PSU will occasionally come it. But they will all show up if they have games in the deep south.

Except Missouri. That state is just weird.

Let them have FSU. We'll take UNC and Clemson.
Exactly. All sec needs is two of UNC Clemson Florida st and however you of Virginia and Miami

My preference is unc is first choice and Clemson or fsu second

This topic comes up every so often and is fun to talk about but is unlikely to happen for several reasons, not the least of which is the GOR tying the schools tto the ACC. Just for fun's sake, let's say that all ACC schools suddenly became free agents with no penalties (yeah this is a dream). Why would the Big 10 or SEC (read Fox and ESPN) dish out big bucks for products that essentially wouldn't move the ratings needle? Why would current conference members give anything close to full shares to new schools (read Washington, Oregon, etc)? Has the Big 10 EVER admitted a school that at the time of admission wasn't a AAU school (read FSU and Clemson)? ESPN has lost a significant portion of subscribers in recent years and doesn't have quite as muchh money to spend as previously which may have an effect on any potential entrants into the SEC. This alledgedly was a factor when the SEC went to ESPN regarding increased payouts for a ninth conference game and couldn't come to an agreement.

In any case, it's fun to talk about.

Reactions: satcheluk
I love the idea that Sankey should be fired. For what? Not making a school who doesn’t want to come to the SEC come to the SEC?

They already turned down the SEC when they joined the ACC, and their admin has been clear through their targeted leaks that they want the Big Ten. They think it’s going to bring more $$$ (it will), and raise their academic profile (it will) because they’re almost to that AAU membership.

If Sankey should be fired (he shouldn’t but..), it’s because he completely butchered the last TV deal. Signing exclusive to ESPN allowed the Big Ten to shop all the other networks and get large premiums from them as the only other viable large CFB property.

Last edited:
There are several articles stating that FSU will be in the BIG by 2025. If this is officially announced, Sanky should be fired the next day. There is talk that the BIG teams will make 20 million more/year than SEC teams. Even if you dont want FSU in the SEC, It is all about premium content. If the BIG adds FSU and 2 to 4 other ACC teams while the SEC does nothing, the SEC will loose its place as the primere football conference.
Get back to me when the Big10 wins a football or basketball championship.

I love the idea that Sankey should be fired. For what? Not making a school who doesn’t want to come to the SEC come to the SEC?

They already turned down the SEC when they joined the ACC, and their admin has been clear through their targeted leaks that they want the Big Ten. They think it’s going to bring more $$$ (it will), and raise their academic profile (it will) because they’re almost to that AAU membership.

If Sankey should be fired (he shouldn’t but..), it’s because he completely butchered the last TV deal. Singing exclusive to ESPN allowed the Big Ten to shop all the other networks and get large premiums from them as the only other viable large CFB property.
Also the panic adds of Missouri and the aggies in 2013 was a bad look.

They are gonna try something!

Everything I've read says it is damn near impossible by themselves get out. The most likely exit is getting 5 or 6 others to help dissolve the ACC and its GOR.

And yeah, FSU doesn't make the SEC better. Getting into North Carolina and Virginia does.

There would be no more undefeated FSU teams if that were to happen. If some of the ACC teams do end up in the big ten, those southern teams are NOT going to like playing in those late October and November games up north. That's one of several reasons the better athletes stay home.

I think some of you are overlooking the fact that the ACC's implosion was exponentially expedited by Florida State being left out of the playoff this year. The committee sent a clear message about what they think of the quality of the ACC.

Rumor is the Big 12 is talking to several of the remaining schools ie Louisville, Wake, Georgia Tech, BC, etc. I'd say UNC, FSU, Clemson, and VT all land in the SEC or B1G

I think some of you are overlooking the fact that the ACC's implosion was exponentially expedited by Florida State being left out of the playoff this year. The committee sent a clear message about what they think of the quality of the ACC.

Rumor is the Big 12 is talking to several of the remaining schools ie Louisville, Wake, Georgia Tech, BC, etc. I'd say UNC, FSU, Clemson, and VT all land in the SEC or B1G
I would be shocked if anyone wants Wake Forest. It has an insanely small fan base and they aren’t good at the big sports on a regular basis.

They have the smallest stadium in the P5. I think I read some crazy stat that it would take every undergraduate student that graduated over the last 20 years just to fill their stadium. And they don’t have many fans outside of alumni.

BC would also be a really weird pickup for anyone.

Reactions: KYExtemper

Maybe we need some schools that don’t “fit culturally”. Also, does Louisville culturally fit with Duke or Stanford?

First Clemson would be a natural but South Carolina would invoke veto.
Second, no to the dirtiest college athletics program period.

Don't think the little veto system will work as well anymore with OU and Texas coming in. Sc probably wouldn't get enough programs to support the veto.

Reactions: warrior_SW

Not a bad idea on NC and VA schools. I'd a take a flier on all of them.

The real battle I think is going to be with and for Notre Dame. They like their independent gig but I think it'll come to a point where whatever entity is forming separate from traditional NCAA will essentially force them to choose.

Reactions: KYExtemper and KT34
They need 120 million, they will ride it out for a few more years

I wouldn’t mind having more “basketball-oriented” schools join the conference. I’d rather have KU and Duke than Texas or OU.

-yeah... that ain't happening. Football drives everything financially speaking. Basketball is an afterthought outside of KY, Kansas, NC, Bloomington Indiana and the northeast metro areas.

I wouldn’t mind having more “basketball-oriented” schools join the conference. I’d rather have KU and Duke than Texas or OU.
You really wouldn’t. Money keeps things going and neither of those bring much of that. Sure, from a pure fun point of view it would be cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT