ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to the BIG

The B1G let Oregon in and it immediately became the worst academic school in the league. If they were so academic oriented they wanted an Oregon school they would have chosen Oregon State.

B10 has several mediocre academic schools.

Nebraska, Rutgers, Mich St., Penn St., IU, Oregon

Did you know ga tech and Tulane along with Kentucky were the founding members of the sec
There were 13 founding members of the SEC: Tulane, Georgia Tech, Sewanee, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and LSU. It was formed from the old Southern Conference teams located west of the Appalachian Mountains. Sewanee left early on. Tulane & Georgia Tech left about a year apart in the mid 1960's.

I’d like to see USC and UCLA in the SEC, it would increase the TV market, and give us another kickoff time slot at 10-10:30pm, along with North Carolina, and either Clemson, FSU or Miami.

I’d like to see USC and UCLA in the SEC, it would increase the TV market, and give us another kickoff time slot at 10-10:30pm, along with North Carolina, and either Clemson, FSU or Miami.

While it might be appealing, the first 2 isn't happening and Sanky seemed quite proud of keeping the SEC in 2 time zones. The cross country trips aren't too bad in football because 95% of the games are on weekends. But for every other sport that plays during the week it's a nightmare schedule wise. Or just forget the student part of student- athlete. Rutgers playing BB at UCLA on Tuesday night is at least 2 days out of school and ghe same for all the west coast teams.

If I could pick 4 teams to add to SEC it would be FSU, Miami, Clemson and West Virginia. That would add 4 rabid fanbases and each brings something besides football. But I know that isn't happening because it doesn't increase the footprint enough. We will get stuck with one of the North Carolina schools and one of the Virginia schools to increase the footprint. Clemson and FSU get in, provided they can come up with an exit from ACC. I may be wrong, have been before, but they don't have the votes to dissolve the conference and with the new additions are not close. If FSU had a way to get out they would have used it instead of posturing.

Reactions: childe
I want to know what Sankey has on the the Presidents and ADs in the league. He ruined college athletics by letting North Carolina at Chapel Hill walk thus the NIL and transfer portal and wild Wild West operations of college athletics. How can anything be enforced when you let the biggest cheaters of all time walk. Sankey has reversed the role between him and Presidents and ADs. He is supposed to work for them. He is supposed to carry out policy not dictate it. What an asshole.
I would argue that Sankey has been an excellent Commissioner. He had nothing to with UNC. Why do you believe the commissioner of the SEC has the ability to punish a member of the ACC? That's on the NCAA and Emmert.

I would argue that Sankey has been an excellent Commissioner. He had nothing to with UNC. Why do you believe the commissioner of the SEC has the ability to punish a member of the ACC? That's on the NCAA and Emmert.
Emmert and the NCAA are not the ones who decide punishments. Punishments are decided by the Committee on Infractions, which is an independent body comprised of administrators from schools/conferences and attorneys.

Sankey was the Chair of the Committee on Infractions when the UNC case was heard.

Emmert and the NCAA are not the ones who decide punishments. Punishments are decided by the Committee on Infractions, which is an independent body comprised of administrators from schools/conferences and attorneys.

Sankey was the Chair of the Committee on Infractions when the UNC case was heard.
Understood. Thanks for the clarification. I would be interested to see the minutes of their meetings.

It’s on him because he chaired the committee that heard the case as the chair he had great influence on the outcome and the vote. As the chair he let them skate. He was responsible. Look it up.

Reactions: satcheluk
The ACC only needs 8 schools to agree to dissolve. It was reported they only needed 1 more, but couldn't get it. Also, ACC is trying to add schools which will make that 8 number go up and look in the Grant of Rights for the rebel schools for another decade.
They need 75% which is 12 schools.

Don't know where they are going, don't know how, but I bet FSU announces their ACC exit sooner rather than later

I don't think FSU adds anything to the SEC. But we all know who calls the shots now.

ESPN wouldn't want a valuable property to leave their TV for Fox/CBS/NBC. So they will twist arms and force FSU (and then Clemson) into the SEC, to keep them away from the Big 10 & their TV stations.

Yeah, I don’t think this is about the Big 12 and, yet, the Big 12 probably has the better football future. I am not sure the SEC would take just FSU, but FSU and Notre Dame or Clemson? Not sure Florida could stop that, especially after TAMU could not stop Texas.

The little agreement UK, UF, CAROLINA and UGA had to keep the instate ACC schools out no longer works with the addition of 2 schools.

I would think there would have to be something other than I signed a bad contract and now wanting a Judge to give them a mulligan. Are they going to claim incompent representation?

There are several articles stating that FSU will be in the BIG by 2025. If this is officially announced, Sanky should be fired the next day. There is talk that the BIG teams will make 20 million more/year than SEC teams. Even if you dont want FSU in the SEC, It is all about premium content. If the BIG adds FSU and 2 to 4 other ACC teams while the SEC does nothing, the SEC will loose its place as the primere football conference.
If FSU goes to the Big Ten, they will no longer have to worry about being ignored for having an unbeaten season.

Reactions: StaticKat
Don't know where they are going, don't know how, but I bet FSU announces their ACC exit sooner rather than later

Both of my parents are FSU grads and my dad played ball there and is a booster. From what he tells me they don't have any avenue to get out without a coalition of teams. No one at FSU believes they can negotiate an exit without substantial concessions. Maybe they can negotiate at $250mm exit fee, for example, but the GoR through 2036 would prevent them from playing on tv and generating any revenue for their new league. They have to be released from the GoR or no one is going to touch them until they are free and clear and unless something dramatic happens, they're locked in. This meeting is saber rattling.

Reactions: NoviG8r
FSU can’t afford to leave the ACC. Why do people keep acting like the GoR and exit fee don’t exist? Having meetings isn’t getting them out of those. It just gets struggle The Athletic writers hits for their struggle website.

Reactions: KYExtemper
FSU doesn’t want any part of the SEC. It would be way too difficult for them to win a national title. They are too scared to come to the best conference in America for football.
People say this but being in the sec allows them to recruit to a sec level. People act like if we were in another conference we would have the same roster. We wouldn’t.

People say this but being in the sec allows them to recruit to a sec level. People act like if we were in another conference we would have the same roster. We wouldn’t.
I think people give way too much weight to the difficulty of the conference factor. That’s like 5 percent. Fans might care but the decision makers only care about money. (and sure, success brings money but that’s all tentative).

The little agreement UK, UF, CAROLINA and UGA had to keep the instate ACC schools out no longer works with the addition of 2 schools.

I would think there would have to be something other than I signed a bad contract and now wanting a Judge to give them a mulligan. Are they going to claim incompent representation?
That’s a criminal law thing. It would be civil and they would sue for malpractice an it wouldn’t change the contract.

Also, no. That won’t happen.

Why did FSU sign on to the GOR to begin with? They were complaining about revenue back then, and signed it anayway. They didn't want an expanded playoff this year and then complained when they didn't get in.

Had the chance to get in to the SEC years ago and turned it down.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for them.

I have a lot of respect for Lenoard Hamilton. But this deal isn't remotely about basketball and he probably won't be coaching there much longer anyways.

Reactions: NoviG8r
FSU can dominate that conference and be a lock in a 12 team play off for the next decade. They're probably not even top 8 in the SEC now with Horns and Sooners.

They wouldn't be much better in the new B10 either.

FSU and fanbase are just embarrassing themselves. After not making the playoffs, they're literally arguing "We're willing to leave a conference we can dominate, forgo money, pay half a billion in penalties to join a tougher conference in which we would be middle tier at best and not sniff playoffs."

FSU can dominate that conference and be a lock in a 12 team play off for the next decade. They're probably not even top 8 in the SEC now with Horns and Sooners.

FSU and fanbase are just embarrassing themselves. After not making the playoffs, they're literally arguing "We're willing to leave a conference we can dominate, forgo money, pay half a billion in penalties to join a tougher conference in which we would be middle tier at best and not sniff playoffs."

That’s a fair fan perspective but fans have different priorities than the actual decision makers.

Also,, I’m not sure it is that much harder to be top 4 in the SEC than to win the ACC when you factor in the recruiting boost they would get.

There are also risks in not being proactive.

The new big 10 would be a lot easier for them. They’d be right there with Oregon, Michigan, Ohio St, etc. The SEC on the other hand, brutal.

Holy shat, every media talking head has said forever that the ACC ESPN contract lasted till 2036 but just now from this lawsuit we learn it ends 2027? Astounding.

All the same people who were wrong about such an important fact are telling us it is impossible for FSU to get out cheap. Maybe they are gonna he proven wrong once again.

That’s a fair fan perspective but fans have different priorities than the actual decision makers.

Also,, I’m not sure it is that much harder to be top 4 in the SEC than to win the ACC when you factor in the recruiting boost they would get.
The new big 10 would be a lot easier for them. They’d be right there with Oregon, Michigan, Ohio St, etc. The SEC on the other hand, brutal.

Yeah, B10 slightly easier, still don't think top 4 though. OSU, Mich, Oregon, Wash... PSU and even Iowa are always tough. So, they'd be battling it out for 5 and 6.

I think FSU already gets a decent amount of SEC talent, being a nationally prominent program with some decent history/tradition in the heart of prime SEC recruiting territory. Which is why they have historically done well in that conference, and just recently caked walked through it. They're playing in the ACC with SEC kids.

That's the thing about the SEC. It's a conference full of teams with SEC talent. Getting some "sec talent" really only pops and makes a difference if you're Michigan, OSU, FSU...in other conferences.

In this conference even if you're pretty stable in the top 4...teams 5-10 can sneak up and get you here and there. We see it happen every year. Oklahoma and Texas could very easily drop 2 maybe 3 games next year.

Then you have coaching talent and depth.

Saban, Kirby, Kelly, Kiffin, Sark, Hueple, Freeze...Drink is interesting, CMS is the second longest tenured guy in this conference can put together a D and ground game, now has a top tier OC. I mean Norvell is 7th-9th best coach in this conference.

ACC sniffed out the play FSU was going to run and preemptive blitzed in North Carolina courts!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT