ADVERTISEMENT

Will never convince me

No question the ball hit the ground but after he had his hands on the ball. The ground didn’t cause the fumble rather his rolling over to complete the catch. Call definitely should have stood as a TD but we all knew it wouldn’t just like we all know it would have stood the other way around. Remember the catch ruled in bounds last year? Play stood even though guy clearly never had possession until he was 3 feet out of bounds.

Its because of:
A. The Curse
B. The Good Ole Boys
C. A. and B.
I choose::

By the way Good Ole Boys: the Center star in the last Rebel Flag reps Ky.

Stop hating!

I know, I know, Lincoln was born in Ky but dont forget, so was Davis!!!

Give us a damn break you cheatin refs!!

Reactions: UKat1 and Pewee Cat
What p'd me off more than this call was the face-mask on our offense on the same play where the Ga defense used our rb's facemask to make the tackle. Factor in that we were getting our helmets ripped off all night and nary a face-mask call one? SEC officiating, football and basketball, sucks eggs on a mammoth scale

That ball was clearly on the ground.

The ball can touch the ground as long as it isn't used to secure the catch. Like another poster said, if he holds onto that, guaranteed they give him a catch.

Refs definitely help. Two straight weeks with a missed vicious facemask on the ball carrier. Completely inexcusable.

Huh? The ball hit the ground. It wasn't even that close of a call.
Where in the rule book does it say a caught ball cannot touch the ground? If that was the case half of completed passes would be ruled incomplete. The ball didn’t hit the ground before it was caught, the ball didn’t move in his hands when the ball touched the ground and the ball only popped up when he rolled over to complete the catch. Can guarantee if a GA player had been running by and grabbed the ball out of the air it would have stood as a catch but an INT for KY and a Pick 6 at that cannot stand. Sorry we always get the short end of the stick on reviews in big games/moments like this. EVERY…….SINGLE…….TIME!!!!!!

The ball can hit the ground as long as it’s not moving and the receivers hands were on it. The ball wasn’t moving and he had control

If so, then, the fact that his whole body was in contact with the ground. Rolled over in full contact with the ground, would have rendered the play a completion and down by contact, which I think is the correct call on the play.

Definitely not enough to overturn imo. Call should've stood. We needed a defensive or special teams td and that was it. We win if that stands.

Assuming the game would have went the exact same way if that stands is silly IMO. Georgia may have woken up and scored 3 straight TDs after going down 10 to 3.

Reactions: UKat1
The pick 6 that was called back for the block on their q-back was the most egregious call of the night...our defense won that game for us saturday and the refs nullified it

perfect example of what I've been saying in other threads. We had guys getting open against that D but BV had very little time to make reads or react. Of course that video points out how BV should have dropped back while veering to his right to give him more time, but he cant make the determination that a guy will be coming off the edge nearly untouched to get to him. It also showed just how fast his pass protection broke down. Hard to make reads with that coming at you.

Will never convince me that Kentucky didn’t get screwed over here
Wish you were right but unfortunately its wrong. Think about guys, its either incomplete or a catch. And if its a catch in COLLEGE the players is down by contact at that same point as the ground CANT CAUSE A FUMBLE. Its their ball either way there is no other option.

1. Incomplete DEAD BALL
2. Catch DEAD BALL

Its really as simple as that.

Wish you were right but unfortunately its wrong. Think about guys, its either incomplete or a catch. And if its a catch in COLLEGE the players is down by contact at that same point as the ground CANT CAUSE A FUMBLE. Its their ball either way there is no other option.

1. Incomplete DEAD BALL
2. Catch DEAD BALL

I ref some in my free time high school sports, but football is one and I was thinking of it from a different perspective. Having. A weekend to look at it some more I know see it as a catch and down at the spot of the catch

Reactions: Soupbean

1. Incomplete DEAD BALL
2. Catch DEAD BALL

It’s not that simple. You still have to control the ball which he did not do. He didn’t catch it upright then go to the ground he dove for the ball to catch it which he didn’t do but kept the ball from hitting the ground. Not a catch with the ground causing the fumble in this case so again it’s not that simple.

Definitely not enough to overturn imo. Call should've stood. We needed a defensive or special teams td and that was it. We win if that stands.
Idk. It kinda seems as if Kirby Smart used is as a teaching lesson for his teams. You have to be able to win in every type of game and even their title teams played us close. I think he holds the play book back and teaches his team how to fight in close games he knows they will win.
Before you think it's crazy, as soon as he let the QB start throwing it around they were moving at will in the 3/4th quarter. That team could have beat us by 30

Idk. It kinda seems as if Kirby Smart used is as a teaching lesson for his teams. You have to be able to win in every type of game and even their title teams played us close. I think he holds the play book back and teaches his team how to fight in close games he knows they will win.
Before you think it's crazy, as soon as he let the QB start throwing it around they were moving at will in the 3/4th quarter. That team could have beat us by 30

They tried throwing sooner just without success. Lovett and Jackson both played underneath zones perfectly and each should've had a pick. Max had a nice pbu. Anytime they threw short childress ate it up, often for loss.

Its also thanks to great defense, we dominated top. So it wasn't they didn't try. They just didn't have success until later when they also had some success on the ground, which means we tired a bit.

It’s not that simple. You still have to control the ball which he did not do. He didn’t catch it upright then go to the ground he dove for the ball to catch it which he didn’t do but kept the ball from hitting the ground. Not a catch with the ground causing the fumble in this case so again it’s not that simple.
I may not be doing a good job of expressing this but it all comes down to whether you think it hit the ground, because if it hit the ground and here's the important part CONTROLLED OR NOT CONTROLLED - CAUGHT OR NOT CAUGHT, there is no option for it to be an interception because

1. If its controlled or caught then its a catch but immediately down by contact with the ground by any other part of his body. Dead Ball
2. It its not controlled its just an incomplete catch. Dead Ball

The only way it can be an interception is if you think it never touched the ground and he just fllipped in in the air or it boucned off of him without ever touching the groung.

The problem with that is it CLEARLY touched the ground while his hands were on it.

• Love
Reactions: Tf2217 and The-Hack
If he contolled the ball cats he's down right there because his shoulder hit the ground. There is no "finish the catch" theory that applies, nothing matters after he's down and he would have been counted down immediately. So in a sense you are right, he didnt control the ball and thats why replay changed the call to an incomplete pass. But even if he had controlled it he was done and doesnt matter what happened after he rolled over.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
I ref some in my free time high school sports, but football is one and I was thinking of it from a different perspective. Having. A weekend to look at it some more I know see it as a catch and down at the spot of the catch
I can see how that could have been the call too. But still doesnt allow for the interception outcome right?

In the game thread I cheered that one finally went our way.
nope-hell-no.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HerrosHeroes
There was no way that could be a fumble. It was either incomplete because he used the ground to make the catch or he never had control or it was a completion and the receiver was down. You just can't make a catch and be on the ground and then fumble; when the guy that catches the ball hits the ground the play is over.

Yeah replay shows it definitely hitting the ground.
We actually got the best outcome possible for us there. The only other option would be down at the spot and that would've been a net positive for UGA.

Props to replay to let it go and then check it but it was 100% clear when I seen the review that it was coming back I was wondering what was taking so long.

1. Incomplete DEAD BALL
2. Catch DEAD BALL

Which is the dumbest rule in college football. It needs to change. I e never understood why the ground in college football can basically cause a tackle but not a fumble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT