ADVERTISEMENT

What are your favorite Kentucky bands?

Not a big My Morning Jacket guy but someone mentioned them and it made me think of this performance, which to me, is one of the best talk show performances I've ever seen. They were just coming up and there were slight rumblings locally about some band from Kentucky who was starting to rise. I was watching Conan that night and when he said, "from Louisville, Kentucky...", I thought, "wtf?" Conan seems like a genuine guy and you can tell he was really impressed with the band after this. So again, not a favorite by any means, but gd I love this particular performance:

I remember setting at a bar when this aired and everyone was so nervous that a local band was on national TV. After that song the whole bar went wild.

Reactions: J_Dee
^love his music. Pete Anderson was his guitarist in his heyday. Amazing player.
Yoakam and Anderson were such a good team. Little Sister and Long White Cadillac are like steam rollers.

As near as I can tell, Anderson and Yoakam fell out over Yoakam wanting to act He isn't a good actor -- except in Panic Room -- but you do what you want to do. Somewhere around the house is Anderson's solo album 110 in the Shade. You'd never know it was same guy,

You Louisville peeps may remember them but I never really listened, but my Lou friends at UK in early-mid 90's loved some Peace in the Jones.

I will give some love to Kentucky-based rappers Nappy Roots. Their debut album was a platinum seller and a nice change of pace from the “bling era” rap of the early 2000s.

The Cold Stares are an awesome band. They are listed as being from Evansville IN because that’s the band’s current home. But the singer/guitarist Chris Tapp and drummer Brian Mullins who formed the band together are both from Madisonville KY. I’m counting them as a Kentucky band, damn it!

They started as a power duo and have since added a bass player to become a trio.

I know the question is bands, but for solo acts, Chris Stapleton would top my list.

In terms of actual bands, a couple I don't believe I have seen are Montgomery Gentry, the Judds and Government Cheese.

A current group that looked to be ready to break out was Mojo Thunder. They had some big things lined up and then the pandemic hit. Their second album was released recently so we will see if it takes off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT