ADVERTISEMENT

Will Duke or UK have the top recruiting class this year ? (ESPN)

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida

Will Duke or Kentucky return to the top of the rankings?​

For most of the 2010s, you could find Duke or Kentucky with the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. They were No. 1 and No. 2 in either order every year from 2014 to 2018, again in 2020 and then once again in the 2023 class. The Wildcats have had the top class seven times (including in 2023) since John Calipari took over in 2009, while Duke has done it five times since 2014 and has finished lower than No. 2 just once in that span.

So, will one of the two end up back at No. 1 in 2024? Duke has two commitments in the bag in five-star Isaiah Evans and ESPN 100 Darren Harris; Kentucky landed its first pledge of the cycle on Wednesday in ESPN 100 big man Cyril. Obviously, things are far from over. The Blue Devils are certainly in play for top-ranked Dylan Harper and just offered elite big man Flory Bidunga after he visited campus. Fast-rising five-star big man Pat Ngongba also recently picked up an offer from Duke, and ESPN 100 wings Tyler Betsey and Kon Knueppel are targets.

Calipari has a long list of targets in 2024. He's also in pursuit of Bidunga, although it remains to be seen how Cyril's commitment impacts the Wildcats' interest level. Kentucky made the final four schools for point guard Ahmad Nowell, and is one of two favorites for five-star forward Karter Knox, the younger brother of former Wildcat Kevin Knox. Tre Johnson took an official visit to Lexington in January, and Kentucky remains in the mix. Other five-star targets include Jalil Bethea, Billy Richmond and Johnuel "Boogie" Fland.

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
I would like us to concentrate on the portal a little more next year vs a bunch of top ranked freshman.If we had the money and minutes Why not build a roster from the portal.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I would like us to concentrate on the portal a little more next year vs a bunch of top ranked freshman.If we had the money and minutes Why not build a roster from the portal.
Only player in 2024 class I really like that Kentucky can get is boogie fland after that the class just isn’t very good

Only player in 2024 class I really like that Kentucky can get is boogie fland after that the class just isn’t very good

Knox is fantastic. He was the leading scorer on the EYBL. I also like Zoom Diallo.

Bethea and Richnond seem like good fits too and I think Perry will pick UK in the end.

At a minimum, I think we would have Sheppard and Cyril returning so SG and C can be locked up.

The pressure will be on Scheyer because he's getting it done on the recruiting front but can he win on the court.
And he hasn't had any "turbulence" yet. He's still under K's protective wing, but as K's health deteriorates, Scheyer will have to learn to fly on his own. I think Duke stays strong (Gonzaga level), but their previous advantages will be mitigated somewhat as time goes on.

What part? That the class is bad? Or that fland being the only player
The "bad class" thing is entirely subjective and based on long-term NBA projections. Wiggins, Parker, and Embiid were part of a "great class" and they didn't even get past the first weekend as freshmen. Other elite recruits that we were giddy over the chance at landing never made it to the Elite Eight - Newman, Jaylen Brown, Bennett, Muhammed, etc.

Give me some guys who can play in year one, regardless of where they're ranked. Maxey, SGA, Herro, Keldon, Bledsoe, etc. - all of those guys were dogs here in their one year and only Keldon was a top 10 recruit.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
If I understand how it works, those determining the recruiting class championships take a number assigned based on the player's ranking (the higher the ranking, the higher the number) and add the numbers of each freshman together to get the total. That might be wrong, but it's how I thought it worked. Based on that, I'm pulling extremely hard for Duke to win the recruiting class ranking title. I hope UK is not even in contention.

Now, if somebody knowledgeable is ranking recruiting classes based on impact on winning games at UK over the length of the Class's time at UK, then I'm in. Let's win that and maybe a title will come with it.

The "bad class" thing is entirely subjective and based on long-term NBA projections. Wiggins, Parker, and Embiid were part of a "great class" and they didn't even get past the first weekend as freshmen. Other elite recruits that we were giddy over the chance at landing never made it to the Elite Eight - Newman, Jaylen Brown, Bennett, Muhammed, etc.

Give me some guys who can play in year one, regardless of where they're ranked. Maxey, SGA, Herro, Keldon, Bledsoe, etc. - all of those guys were dogs here in their one year and only Keldon was a top 10 recruit.
I don’t know a whole lot about the class. Fland is the only one I have watched extensively and I really like his game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT