ADVERTISEMENT

Why Is No One Mentioning Rick Barnes As Next UK Coach?

shadowman4

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2002
Years ago Rick Barnes was the punch line in being named as the next coach for whatever school was looking to hire a vacancy for a basketball coaching position. Fast pace Today and nobody ever brings his name up. UT leads the country in defense in numerous categories and Barnes has beaten Cal straight up in 6 of the last 9 games played between UT and UK. I for one think Barnes would be a great hire, but does anyone think he would leave the great position he is in with UT to jump into the pressure cooking job and pressure of being the head Coach of Kentucky basketball 🏀?

Years ago Rick Barnes was the punch line in being named as the next coach for whatever school was looking to hire a vacancy for a basketball coaching position. Fast pace Today and nobody ever brings his name up. UT leads the country in defense in numerous categories and Barnes has beaten Cal straight up in 6 of the last 9 games played between UT and UK. I for one think Barnes would be a great hire, but does anyone think he would leave the great position he is in with UT to jump into the pressure cooking job and pressure of being the head Coach of Kentucky basketball 🏀?

He done turned us down once! I don't think Barnes would want it. He done turned UCLA down and I'm pretty sure that was his dream job. He comes off as pretty blunt and truthful for a dude who coaches NCAA division 1 basketball or that's how Ive always viewed him.

I always thought he would be great especially when he was at Clemson and he was the only one in the ACC and college basketball for that matter that would call out Dean Smith for the fake he was. His wife being from Knoxville, I just can’t see it but I think he would by #2 behind Dwane Casey

He’s older than Cal and somehow has less NCAAT success post 2015 than Cal does.

Not that he wouldn’t be an upgrade in 2023 but we should be looking for someone with more youth and upside.

Horrible choice.
He's found the perfect niche. He's at a school where he can beat up on Cal and Kentucky but where nobody expects to make a Final Four.

• Haha
Reactions: howercat
He's 70 years old and he's currently kicking our tail... honestly though he's got Tennessee going but we need to start looking at coaches in their 50's at the maximum.Oates has got to be the first and last call

I wouldn't want Barnes per se, but it would be nice for our coach to be a normal guy like him who looks like the guy you sat by at church last Sunday.

Barnes as good as his teams look always folds in March, that’s why.

He done turned us down once! I don't think Barnes would want it. He done turned UCLA down and I'm pretty sure that was his dream job. He comes off as pretty blunt and truthful for a dude who coaches NCAA division 1 basketball or that's how Ive always viewed him.
He didn't turn us down, he took his name out of consideration, when it wasn't in consideration

I wouldn't want Barnes per se, but it would be nice for our coach to be a normal guy like him who looks like the guy you sat by at church last Sunday.
This is a bizarre comment.

Signed, a guy that goes to church every Sunday and sees all different types of humans there.

Reactions: BlueSince92
He’s had two monster UT teams and couldn’t make it to the E8 with either. Next.

His post season record in general is abysmal. Think about some of the talent he’s had at texas. He has a losing record in the ncaa tournament despite making the field 25 times. You know how hard that is to do? He doesn’t even average making it past the first game!

Barnes is a solid regular season coach but man he’s bad in march.

Barnes has certainly had Cal’s number and that seems to be all the vol fans care about. They can have him. He’s perfect for them tbh. Pearl was an infinitely better coach though.

His post season record in general is abysmal. Think about some of the talent he’s had at texas. He has a losing record in the ncaa tournament despite making the field 25 times. You know how hard that is to do? He doesn’t even average making it past the first game!

Barnes is a solid regular season coach but man he’s bad in march.

Barnes has certainly had Cal’s number and that seems to be all the vol fans care about. They can have him. He’s perfect for them tbh. Pearl was an infinitely better coach though.
With all the talent he had at Texas but never amounted to squat, I cashed out in Barnes ability years ago. Time has proved that decision as correct.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Barnes is dug in, never leaving Tennessee. Wife from area, has a house in the mountains fans love him, will be paid whatever he wants by UT. Not expected to win it all every year, very little pressure, even if we asked him, which we won't, he will not come

Lol

All about those flavor of the week's aren't ya.

Didn't this guy lose in the 2nd rd with Kevin Durant?

In fact isn't the majority of his career, outside of one final four, 1st and 2nd rd losses?

Im sure you guys wouldn't be insane at all with that...and I'm totally sure he'd want to deal with it here

Can’t win Da big games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT