ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the 1st Wildcat player that you met, spoke to in person?

Does Cawood count? If not Wah Wah Jones. Every member of the 1978 title team. They were my classmates. Joe B a number of times. He was a very approachable man. Still is I think. Larry Conley broadcasting a game from the Events Center here. I met Tubby in the bowels of what was then McNichols when he coached Georgia. Jamal Murray. And most recently Jared Vanderbilt.

Of course Cawood "counts"! And it's awesome you got to meet one of the Fab Five (the real Fab Five, not those plagiarist fakers from Michigan :p )! On that note I got to see Kentucky Wesleyan's Joel Utley (he does for KWC what Cawood did for UK...he's been there since 1962 and for all eight of their championships) several times...he's a wonderful guy and he should be in the b-ball HOF.

Jamal Mashburn through a Joby Wright Miami of Ohio/IU connection. Had the chance to talk to several kids during Tubby Smiths tenure. First reported the Rashaad Carruth UK commitment watch after interviewing him here in Indy at the Nike All American camp for Insiders Report and since had chance interactions with Rondo and John Wall as well as several kids from last years team from the father/son camp last year.

James Blackmon
Ed Davender
Kenny Walker
At Gainesville after UK beat the Gators around 1985, got autographs and pictures outside UK locker room to prove it.

I have met quite a few but conversations would be Tony Delk, Ed Davender, and Kenny Walker.

The whole team at '92 Rick Pitino Father/son camp.

Ford and Mashburn as a kid at autograph session about a year later.

As a college student quite a few of them. Ramel was cool. Chuck Hayes wanted to beat up one of my best friends over a girl....that's a story...

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Might as well make this my first post on Rafters lol. I got to play a pick up game against E Diddy and Chuck with Gerald on my team lol. All I could do was shoot jumpers since I was only 8 years old lol.

Mine would be Kevin Grevey. In Oct. 1975 his Washington Bullets team was playing an exhibition game in Memorial Coliseum. Any how me & a couple friends of mine got to the game very early. So early the ticket window wasn't even open. So as we were walking back to our car, a black Cadillac pulled up & Kevin Grevey got out of the passenger side & started walking toward the coliseum as we were walking away. I spotted him & said to my friends that's Kevin Grevey. They said no it's not. As we got closer & we spoke to him & he spoke to us my buddies acknowledged that it was Kevin Grevey.When Grevey got to the coliseum & couldn't get in because the doors were still locked. One of my friends was a UofL fan said. That's the way UK treats their ex players. After they're through playing here, they won't even let them back in the building. UofL fans, bless their heart
Kyle Macy, I meet him at UK's basketball camp going into his senior year, was nice enough to sign an autograph for me for a girl I went to school with that just adored him, he probably though I was nuts when I asked him to sign it "to Jane". Later at that camp we got to met James Lee, Rick Robey and Jack Givens. Dwight Anderson also worked the camp that year.

Louie Dampier. Outside arena after an ABA game on Long Island.

Only three others: Bob Guyette (and Coach Hall) in Nashville airport after regional loss to IU.

Mu Evans outside Bridgestone Arena

Ran into Jack Givens in Olive Garden in Amarillo, TX when he was coaching an AAU girls team.

Mine would be Kevin Grevey. In Oct. 1975 his Washington Bullets team was playing an exhibition game in Memorial Coliseum. Any how me & a couple friends of mine got to the game very early. So early the ticket window wasn't even open. So as we were walking back to our car, a black Cadillac pulled up & Kevin Grevey got out of the passenger side & started walking toward the coliseum as we were walking away. I spotted him & said to my friends that's Kevin Grevey. They said no it's not. As we got closer & we spoke to him & he spoke to us my buddies acknowledged that it was Kevin Grevey.When Grevey got to the coliseum & couldn't get in because the doors were still locked. One of my friends was a UofL fan said. That's the way UK treats their ex players. After they're through playing here, they won't even let them back in the building. UofL fans, bless their heart

Sam Bowie for me. My uncle took me to the Red Mile for some races I was 10 and barley came up to Sam's waist. My uncle worked for the Horseman Magazine and new Sam a little. Nicest pro I have ever met to this day.

Well I went to high school with Jack Givens and we are still friends. I met Rick Robey and Mike Phillips in our freshman year too. Had a class with Kyle Macy.

Met the whole 1996 and 1998 teams when they came to Washington to meet the President.

Ran into Keith Bogans in a grocery store when I lived in his hometown of Alexandria, VA.

Ran into Boogie Cousins and Tony Delk in the Hyatt before one of the alumni charity games.

Guy at my local McDonalds drive thru saw my UK license plate and told me he was Sam Bowie’s cousin. I live about 50 miles from Bowie’s hometown.

My Freshman roommate in Holmes Hall Mike Casey RIP

Were you still in Homes Hall in 1970? If so, I was on the 4th floor, just above you guys. I remember the players hanging out downstairs, and went to the Red Mile some with Ronnie Lyons, but didn't know if you were still in Holmes. Anyway, the first Cat I met was Ralph Beard, and I didn't even know it. He lived in the same apartment complex as our family, in Louisville, when I was a toddler. Was about 1954.

Well I went to high school with Jack Givens and we are still friends. I met Rick Robey and Mike Phillips in our freshman year too. Had a class with Kyle Macy.

Met the whole 1996 and 1998 teams when they came to Washington to meet the President.

Ran into Keith Bogans in a grocery store when I lived in his hometown of Alexandria, VA.

Ran into Boogie Cousins and Tony Delk in the Hyatt before one of the alumni charity games.

Guy at my local McDonalds drive thru saw my UK license plate and told me he was Sam Bowie’s cousin. I live about 50 miles from Bowie’s hometown.
1A7f.gif

I got to play in a barnstorming tour game against Brassow Prickett Edwards and I think maybe Dale Brown. Was an incredible experience for a guy from the mountains who never got to go to a game until later in life. They let us stay pretty close until the last 2 minutes when Jeff Brassow decided to hit 5 in a row just inside half court...

Kenny Walker,Ed Davender,James Blackmon,Sean Woods,Leroy Byrd and Deron Feldhaus in Ashland at a charity game.Would have been late 90s or early 2000s. All were super cool got autos after game. Brought a couple different Cats pause yearbooks with me. Woods was sitting on bench for a long period and he asked me if he could look at the Cats Pause. I thought that was pretty cool.
Also met Sheppard and Mills in Ashland after 98 season on a signing tour. Both outstanding guys.
Last but not least Easter Sunday probably 97 or 98 went to my one and only NBA game. Pacers vs. Knicks. Mark Pope was signing before game. He didn't play in the game. But I was last in line. Wearing my 96 championship shirt. His eyes lit up. Said that is a really great shirt. Talked to him for few minutes. Signed josh 1-9 best wishes Mark Pope on my shirt. I did have a backup 96 shirt to wear at the time thankfully.

Travis Ford. But I was about 5 years old and don't remember it really. Supposedly he's a dick. I don't recall how he treated the fans since I was so young. I got a picture and signed poster from him.

I also met Jamal Magloire at a college party. Dude was huge. He just sat on a couch and hung out. Seemed chill.

Were you still in Homes Hall in 1970? If so, I was on the 4th floor, just above you guys. I remember the players hanging out downstairs, and went to the Red Mile some with Ronnie Lyons, but didn't know if you were still in Holmes. Anyway, the first Cat I met was Ralph Beard, and I didn't even know it. He lived in the same apartment complex as our family, in Louisville, when I was a toddler. Was about 1954.
I was there til I graduated originally I was in Haggin Hall til I moved to Holmes

Danny Hall. I had known him since I was 11 and caught him in the Little League All-Star game at Pikeville in 1969. Also played against him in HS baseball. A lot don't know that Danny was also a very good baseball player. Had a great sense of humor and attracted women like flies. Really sad to hear that he took his own life a few years ago.

Goose givens just after uk won the title in '78. He was at my bank signing pictures. I got to talk to him for a few minutes because noone was behind me in line. Was really nice and he asked me "how do you want me to sign my name? Jack or goose? I told him it was such an honor just to meet him that he could sign it which ever way he wanted to. He signed it Jack Givens.
Goose was always very friendly and outgoing. I used to see him in the Computer Lab his senior season and he always said hello. Really a nice guy.

The first I ever met and talked to in person was Joe B. Hall
Vernon Hatton, I was his nurse
I bought a truck from Derrick Miller

As a student the 86-87 season, I met the whole team.
It seemed as if Joe B. never knew any strangers. I would see him around the Coliseum on my way to class and he would always speak.

I got to see him play for UK and the colonels.

seen him play for Uk and the Colonels. I was at a game when we played the nets. Didn’t he play with Gilmore. Can’t remember the guys name that played for the nets but they were going at each other all night. Colonels won. Place was packed I stood underneath the goal and they were dunking all night.
I remember that Billy Paultz from the Nets and Issel had some battles while playing in the ABA. Could it have been Paultz that you are talking about?

Met Tony Delk in Fayette Mall as a kid. Still my favorite player ever at UK. My parents bought me an authentic 00 jersey before my first game at Rupp when I was in 1st grade and all we could find was a men’s L. Didn’t care at all and still wore it. I continued to wear it to each game I attended until i wore it while watching Vandy beat us by 41 in Gillespie’s first year when I was a sophomore at UK. Haven’t wore it since but still have it and still love Tony Delk.

I had friends in high school named Chris and David. Met their dad when I was a sophomore and probably went to their house 20 times. I didn’t realize who there dad was until I was a senior. Their dad is Gary Gamble who was on the 1966 team.

Freddy Cowan
Sam Bowie
Then some Cats before they were Cats at basketball camps:

Ford
Rex
Reggie

The first impression I had of Rex was that he was a nerdy guy, and there was no way he was actually any good at basketball. Once we started playing I realized that I had made the worst misjudgment of my life. Trying to guard him was like trying to teach a dog to meow.

Last edited:
Dwayne Casey, Kenny Walker, Saul Smith, Jack Givens, Eric Daniels, Nazr Muhammad, Anthony Epps, Reggie Hanson, Travis Ford, Joe Crawford, John Calipari, Friends with Tayshaun Prince, Kenny Payne and Tubby Smith..

Last edited:
Sam Bowie at baskins n Robin's on tates creek.. Some kind of ice cream place not far from my apt at downing place townhouses back around late 90s.. Had a young girl with him,, assume one of his daughters n she was talllll.. Looked to be about 12ish.. He actually started the conversation after seeing me in my UK outfit.. Nice as hell guy.. Asked if I had a camera and wanted a pic.. Met a few more after that but met Ron Mercer at vandy at a game and he's a straight up punk as mother****er..

I got to see him play for UK and the colonels.

seen him play for Uk and the Colonels. I was at a game when we played the nets. Didn’t he play with Gilmore. Can’t remember the guys name that played for the nets but they were going at each other all night. Colonels won. Place was packed I stood underneath the goal and they were dunking all night.
Issel did play with Gilmore while both were on the Colonels. That was a really good team with Issel, Gilmore, Darrel Carrier, Wendell Ladner, etc. I think that Wayne Chapment, Rex's father, was also on that team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT