ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the 1st Wildcat player that you met, spoke to in person?

Does Cawood count? If not Wah Wah Jones. Every member of the 1978 title team. They were my classmates. Joe B a number of times. He was a very approachable man. Still is I think. Larry Conley broadcasting a game from the Events Center here. I met Tubby in the bowels of what was then McNichols when he coached Georgia. Jamal Murray. And most recently Jared Vanderbilt.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Mike Pratt at a softball game during the Southern Kentucky Classic. Issel was suppose to be there, but was a no show for some reason.

Lavon Williams, Kyle Macy, and Jay Shidler. All were very nice. I was 12-13 at the time. They came to our high school for their senior tour I believe.

Sam Bowie and Melvin Turpin in 1983. I was 12...somewhere there is a picture of me standing on a chair between them at Godfathers Pizza

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Mine would be Kevin Grevey. In Oct. 1975 his Washington Bullets team was playing an exhibition game in Memorial Coliseum. Any how me & a couple friends of mine got to the game very early. So early the ticket window wasn't even open. So as we were walking back to our car, a black Cadillac pulled up & Kevin Grevey got out of the passenger side & started walking toward the coliseum as we were walking away. I spotted him & said to my friends that's Kevin Grevey. They said no it's not. As we got closer & we spoke to him & he spoke to us my buddies acknowledged that it was Kevin Grevey.When Grevey got to the coliseum & couldn't get in because the doors were still locked. One of my friends was a UofL fan said. That's the way UK treats their ex players. After they're through playing here, they won't even let them back in the building. UofL fans, bless their heart

Had the opportunity to sit with Walter McCarty and Tony Delk at the 1995 State Track meet held at UK. They found an open seat next to me and I had the chance to explain all the track events to them both as they hadn't been to a meet before. It was quite the experience for 17-year-old me!

Met Dan Issel after a Kentucky Colonels game in Freedom Hall. First extended conversation was with Jack Givens in '78 at Vanderbilt. Played golf several times with Kenny Walker. Super nice guy and terrible golfer.

My dad owned a store in a couple of malls. One was the Green Tree Mall in Clarksville, IN and the other was in the St. Matthews Mall. The store was called "Big 3 Sports." Anybody remember it by chance? The way I understand it; my dad's store is the reason Kentucky Korner exists (too much of a story to tell). Anyway, mom and dad got tired of going all over the place to buy me UK items for birthdays and Christmas and dad said, "Sure would be nice to go to one store and get all of this stuff." <LIGHT BULB WENT OFF AT THAT MOMENT>

So, in the St. Matthews Mall, he brought in Jim Master and Dicky Beal for a signing for two straight days. A name was drawn for those who shoewd up to win a limo ride with them to a restaurant where they would have dinner.

I was at the store all weekend hanging out with them, also rode in the limo with them, then sat next to Jim Master at dinner. I think I was 15.

I also went to an NIT game at Vanderbilt when I lived in Nashville. When the game was over, I walked right on the court and met Larry Conley.

I also met Travis Ford when he was coach at Campbellsville University. I sat in his office and we had a good conversation. He had a huge picture behind his desk of Rupp Arena. I said, "I bet you were pretty happy about Sutton's misdeeds, huh?" I didn't mean because UK got in trouble, but it brought in Pitino who brought in Travis from Missouri. It took him a second to "get" what I was saying and then he grinned and said, "Yeah."

Wallace "Wah Wah" Jones also came to my office one day and we sat and chat for a while. Oddly enough, hardly anything about basketball as I was pretty confident he gets that type of thing all the time. My dad walked in and they started chatting since they were both from Harlan.

Reactions: Jkwo and musrat59
Goose givens just after uk won the title in '78. He was at my bank signing pictures. I got to talk to him for a few minutes because noone was behind me in line. Was really nice and he asked me "how do you want me to sign my name? Jack or goose? I told him it was such an honor just to meet him that he could sign it which ever way he wanted to. He signed it Jack Givens.

Mike Pratt 1969. I was 14 years old. I was going to the UK-Vanderbilt game. I was going up the stairs at the Student Center to eat and he was coming down the stairs. He spoke to me before I could muster a hi out of my mouth.

Jeff Shepherd and Anthony Epps - met them on Haggin Court in 93; promptly dunked on by Shep.

Met Nazr in Acc 201 - sat next to him. Took me to the lodge to meet the team after studying for exam, where I met and talked with entire 96 team

Talked a lot with Mel Turpin numerous times / RIP

Others I have talked with and met:
Ed Davender
Dale Brown
Mash
Jared Prickett
Jared (spacing on last name for some reason, tall goody kid from Kentucky that never played)
Sam Bowie
Hishimu
Allen Edwards
Antoine Walker - was at my apartment couple of times studying with my now wife for a class project
Cal
Rich Brooks

maybe some others
My favorite team all time the 96 team that would've been a dream come true to meet the whole team! Especially my all time favorite player 00!

Roger Harden when he was a converse rep and then he started a company called pre-game. I worked for a sporting goods company that provided high schools with uniforms and shoes. Roger was a very nice guy who would get me lower level tickets about 2 times a year. He loved to tell Kentucky basketball stories and I loved to listen.

Last edited:
Mine would be Kevin Grevey. In Oct. 1975 his Washington Bullets team was playing an exhibition game in Memorial Coliseum. Any how me & a couple friends of mine got to the game very early. So early the ticket window wasn't even open. So as we were walking back to our car, a black Cadillac pulled up & Kevin Grevey got out of the passenger side & started walking toward the coliseum as we were walking away. I spotted him & said to my friends that's Kevin Grevey. They said no it's not. As we got closer & we spoke to him & he spoke to us my buddies acknowledged that it was Kevin Grevey.When Grevey got to the coliseum & couldn't get in because the doors were still locked. One of my friends was a UofL fan said. That's the way UK treats their ex players. After they're through playing here, they won't even let them back in the building. UofL fans, bless their heart

Mine would be Dan Issel and Mike Pratt at the rupp issel pratt basketball camp my summer before my 7th grade year

Love all the stories of meeting the players as kids. Something so cool as a youngster meeting your idol at the time.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Frank Ramsey ran a bank here in my home town until his death in 2018. Heard some stories playing in SEC schools that had no showers and he was a really down to earth guy.

I met Reggie Hanson signing autographs at the Mayfield,Ky Piggly Wiggly. To quote David Allen Coe “if that ain’t country, I’ll kiss your a**,” lol

Cotton Nash for me. 1963 in the pool room of the student union. I played pool against him. He had a pretty good shot

Never met one yet. Did see big dan and Gilmore up close once in Freedom Hall when they played for the Colonels. I was 11 , and don’t remember much, except how big they were. Been to a handful of games in Rupp but never talked to any players.

Dan Issel,.......
UNC coach was giving the ref some heavy grief,
Rupp gets up stands there for a bit and say's to the coach...
and I quote.
. ( Sit your Whiney Ass Down )
......At that point I was a Fan for Life

Reactions: uky8unc5
Bill Spivey, Basil Hayden, Wah Wah Jones, Jim Dinwiddie, not players but coaches Joe Hall, Tubby Smith, equipment manger, Wildcat Bill, Dan Issel, Ronnie Lyons, was friend of Tom Payne at UK his freshman year (good guy then), Larry Johnson, Kyle Macy, Kenny Walker, Steve Lockmuler, Melvin Turpin, Tim Stephens, GJ Smith, Chris Harrison. Alan Feldhouse, John Pelphrey, Sean Woods, Richie Farmer (played softball with him and against Jeff Sheppard ,)Jared Prickett, Travis Ford, Scott Padgett and a few others. All good guys when I met them. Met lots of these players and coaches tailgating in the Green Lot at Kroger Field for many years and attending basketball games in Memorial and Rupp for years and was quite an experience that I'll always cherish and never forget !! !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: uky8unc5
Mine actually happened this year. I was traveling for work and flew in to the Minneapolis Airport. Was at the Rental Car desk when I turned around I noticed this very tall fellow walking up to the counter. As he got closer I was stunned to see it was Karl Anthony Towns. I was so excited I just said Karl Towns and he looked over and said hey and kept going lol.

Ron Mercer at Nike All American camp 1994. Was a rising soph ranked and thought I was all world since I dominated at five star and around my state. Anyone who remembers Nike it was like the top players in the the United states, anyway I scored my first three buckets on Ron and thought I was the ish so I started talking trash. Rib commenced to destroying me the rest of the game without saying much then after he pulled me aside and told me what I did wrong and what I needed to work on. Been a big fan of his ever since and kept in touch. He was a big reason that one of my teammates picked UK (Keith Bogans)

Trying to follow...so did you play at DeMatha??

Cool story btw.

Strange, but I was trying to think of a Kentucky player I met and I happen to read that
Ed Beck is no longer with us. He preached at two of our church's revivals.

Jimmy Dan Conner at Harmony Landing CC.

Cliff Hagan. He used the field goal, attached to a tree trunk in our back yard, while he was still in OHS.

Later he beat me in a ping pong tournament finals at a parks and recreation's site. Can't beat long arms no matter what when you're in the sixth grade. He was merciless and I'm still ashamed.

Last edited:
I have met quite a few throughout the years and everyone of them have been nice and down to Earth. Rashad Caruth was probably the only one that wasn’t a very nice guy.

Lukasz Obrzut was actually one of my groomsmen in my wedding. Him and his wife Nikki are good friends of ours.

Well when I was at UK in the early 2000s I got to see Tubby a few times for starters (unfortunately stupid me never thought to have anything for him to sign :( )! I got to see and had him sign my ticket stub Wayne Turner who by that point became a Globetrotter! As if just missing being on a three-peat in 1996-98 wasn't impressive enough! Let's see, when I took a Spanish final a few there claimed that Tayshan Prince was there too...and I guess it kinda maybe looked like him...but I thought maybe they were just fooling with me.

But above all else, when I was working at the Commons Market at the time I got to see on Saturdays the cute Kentucky Girls (cheerleaders) go through the checkout line! I was way too shy to approach them though, because after all I felt like a mere peasant compared to them! I don't think I ever saw any of the players (as far as I know) in classes or anything though...maybe they were privately tutored at the Joe B Hall Wildcat Lodge at the time so the fans wouldn't constantly bug them during their studies or something?

ADVERTISEMENT