ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the 1st Wildcat player that you met, spoke to in person?

Ron Mercer at Nike All American camp 1994. Was a rising soph ranked and thought I was all world since I dominated at five star and around my state. Anyone who remembers Nike it was like the top players in the the United states, anyway I scored my first three buckets on Ron and thought I was the ish so I started talking trash. Rib commenced to destroying me the rest of the game without saying much then after he pulled me aside and told me what I did wrong and what I needed to work on. Been a big fan of his ever since and kept in touch. He was a big reason that one of my teammates picked UK (Keith Bogans)

The Horse my teammate great guy Class Act
I got to see him play for UK and the colonels.
The Horse my teammate great guy Class Act
seen him play for Uk and the Colonels. I was at a game when we played the nets. Didn’t he play with Gilmore. Can’t remember the guys name that played for the nets but they were going at each other all night. Colonels won. Place was packed I stood underneath the goal and they were dunking all night.

Last edited:
Mine would be Kevin Grevey. In Oct. 1975 his Washington Bullets team was playing an exhibition game in Memorial Coliseum. Any how me & a couple friends of mine got to the game very early. So early the ticket window wasn't even open. So as we were walking back to our car, a black Cadillac pulled up & Kevin Grevey got out of the passenger side & started walking toward the coliseum as we were walking away. I spotted him & said to my friends that's Kevin Grevey. They said no it's not. As we got closer & we spoke to him & he spoke to us my buddies acknowledged that it was Kevin Grevey.When Grevey got to the coliseum & couldn't get in because the doors were still locked. One of my friends was a UofL fan said. That's the way UK treats their ex players. After they're through playing here, they won't even let them back in the building. UofL fans, bless their heart
Dirk Minnefield when he was with the Cav's.

Someone who knew Shelby Linville, told him dad was big UK fan and was dying from cancer, so Shelby came over to my dad's house to see him a few days before he passed away. Dad's last good day.
:cry:

Cotton Nash . Played a pickup game with him outside of Haggin Hall Fall of 1961. He won.

I got to see him play for UK and the colonels.

seen him play for Uk and the Colonels. I was at a game when we played the nets. Didn’t he play with Gilmore. Can’t remember the guys name that played for the nets but they were going at each other all night. Colonels won. Place was packed I stood underneath the goal and they were dunking all night.
That probably would have been Billy Paultz for the Nets. Issel did play with Gilmore for the Colonels in the '70's and they won the ABA Championship in 1975. Hubie Brown would later state that the 1975 Colonels were the best team he ever coached.

Reactions: Ocornett
Louie Dampier..played softball against him. My baby daughter was born same day as Issel's daughter, same hospital. Dan was on the Colonels at that time and the players inc. Dampier, Caldwell, Carrier and the others came to the hosp to say hellos to the newborn and I got to meet all of them. Dan and I sat in the waiting room awaiting our new child and we talked bb for 9 hours. Long Labors. Later on when I bought a liquor store in St Matthews, many of the Colonels were customers of mine inc. Caywood also traded with me as did Gilmore and others.

Last edited:
Met Winston Bennett in the Fayette Mall Dawahare’s store. One of those early memories that I’ll never forget. I suppose I would have been 7 or 8? I was a very small fella and his hand probably could have wrapped around mine twice when he shook my hand. Also remember correcting my mom when she called him ‘James Blackmon’ as we were leaving. Luckily Winston didn’t hear that.

Went to school with Mills back through junior high.

Kenny sky walker. 1986 in pikeville on the barnstorming tour. Man I was a star struck 9 year old lol.

Dan Issel. Several times in the 70's when he played for the Kentucky Colonels. When he came to town to play the Virginia Squires in Hampton Coliseum, we would go to the game and wait outside the arena afterwards to get his autograph and talk.
I've led a blessed life. I ate dinner with Dan and Cheri. Great people.
Much earlier my first UK acquaintance was Coach Rupp and Esther (who were best friends with my uncle/aunt).
Cotton Nash was the first player I got to know personally.

Spoke with Cameron Mills at the barnes and noble hamburg. He had a book signing.

I was a teenager and played basketball....

Met several from the billy clyde era in class at UK.

Winston Bennett. He had a Subway franchise years ago that I used to frequent a lot.

My parents took me to wildcat lodge in about 83-84. Sam Bowie picked me up over his head. I remember that vividly but also met a bunch of others. They gave me a signed pic. I met some players before then but those are my first memories.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I talked with Padgett and Pope after a practice they had here in Cincinnati in the early nineties and they were both really nice guys. I was impressed with how Padgett shot the ball in that practice and asked why he wasn't getting more playing time and he said coach (Pitino) didn't like my defense.

I graduated with Mike Scott. He's the only one I've ever met.
I remember an interview with Eddie Sutton and he told Cawood Ledford that Scott had “soft paws.”

Fwiw, I remember Joe Hall talking about his new freshmen and, when asked about Todd Ziegler, he said ... “he’s a lefty and everybody ought to have one”.

Last edited:
Cotton Nash (along with Rupp) at Franklin Co HS in 1962. They were on a school tour before the season started.

Mine would be Kevin Grevey. In Oct. 1975 his Washington Bullets team was playing an exhibition game in Memorial Coliseum. Any how me & a couple friends of mine got to the game very early. So early the ticket window wasn't even open. So as we were walking back to our car, a black Cadillac pulled up & Kevin Grevey got out of the passenger side & started walking toward the coliseum as we were walking away. I spotted him & said to my friends that's Kevin Grevey. They said no it's not. As we got closer & we spoke to him & he spoke to us my buddies acknowledged that it was Kevin Grevey.When Grevey got to the coliseum & couldn't get in because the doors were still locked. One of my friends was a UofL fan said. That's the way UK treats their ex players. After they're through playing here, they won't even let them back in the building. UofL fans, bless their heart
Dan Issel, circa 1970. At my grade school basketball banquet. Big thrill.

Kyle Macy at his basketball camp

Kyle Macy after they won the championship in 78, I was at UK basketball camp and he would come over and watch.

Ralph Beard. One of the nicest guys I have ever met. He proclaimed his innocence until his death. Had a promising career totally destroyed without any semblance of a trial or justice, but worked hard and remained a loyal UK fan, no matter how many times he was thrown under the bus. Fulled admitted he was given money to live on, but never to influence the outcome of a game (that little fact which was never proved)

After that, although I have met many UK players over the years, one of the most impressive instances was outside CMS, standing next to Sam Bowie and asking for his autograph for my son. After waiting for him to finish a conversation with Dewayne Casey, I asked for his autograph which he willingly gave. A lady then came up and asked what he was charging for it, and he looked at her , somewhat surprised, and said, which I will always remember " Mam, I'm at UK, I don't charge for autographs from my fans"

GO CATS

Reactions: musrat59
First I ever met and spent much time talking to was Jamal Mashburn. His girlfriend moved came to UK with him and in a apartment at G Paige by mine.

Feldhaus was high school buddies with one of my fraternity brothers so he came to a couple of our parties with Martinez and Toomer.

Met and talked to a ton of UK players at the tire store I worked at while in college. Dermonti Dawson, Kenny Walker, Sam Bowie, Mel Turpin (his cousin was a mechanic there he used to come visit all the time), Rex Chapman, Tony Delk, Rob Lock, Marc Logan, and I am sure there are more but that's been a while ago.

Worked at Lexmark with Todd Svoboda

It was either Dan Issel or Louie Dampier. I went to their camp at Bellarmine in the early 80s, twice. Dampier actually tried to coach me. I had some hitch in my shot and he tried a couple times to fix it and then laughed and said "that's going to be hard to fix." What the hell would he know about shooting?

Met Karl towns at Fayette mall and got to talk to him for a little bit kinda sucked tho haha he is 7 foot and I’m only 5”6 lmao

ADVERTISEMENT