ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the 1st Wildcat player that you met, spoke to in person?

I had a social work class with Chuck Hayes. He literally sat right next to me. Super super cool and down to earth dude.

Also had to do a group project and he was in my group. We went to the Pizza Hut right off Campus together. I was sorta star struck lol

@FrankUnderwood
Are you a social worker? Did you get a degree in Social Work? My wife got her undergrad and Masters in SW. She had numerous classes with basketball players. Apparently, when we were on campus that was one of the degrees players would list as major, and take a couple of lower level classes in that track. My wife hated it. She would up in group projects with a couple, and hated it because they didn’t offer much help. I thought it was cool because those players came to my apartment few times to work.

I met Keion Brooks this year after the Missouri game. I asked him for a quick picture and he looked annoyed, which I get. His mom was with him and gave him a look like "just take the picture" lol

Told him he played great and was looking forward to the rest of the year.

I've been up close a few times but Brooks is the only guy I've been able to speak to. And I've met Tim Tebow before.

I was at McDonalds
Me too. Played in a few when they needed extras. I was a big body, but those guys are a whole 'nother level. Waltah' caught the ball in the post, sized me up, drop-stepped, and the rest is history.

Played with Shep and Epps on Haggin Court. Shep dunked on me so hard it hurt. Epps awesome trash talker. Dude was a killer.

Spent a few minutes talking to Bowie at the track. My son was a pretty good player and attended a lot of basketball camps so I was around some of the players in the early 90's. Spent 15 minutes talking to Rick Robey at Bullitt East camp. Really nice guy. He was limping badly and I think he said he was having knee surgery. Big Dan sat at my wife's bar at Churchill Downs. I was coming to a game and ran right into Joe B. coming into the back of Rupp Arena. He took the time to stop and shake hands with me and my 2 buddies.

Cameron Mills is my first and only, preached at a local church and gave a speech at my school. All time best 3 pt shooter in the tourney, so good one to meet, and very nice in person.

Played against John wall. He was a year younger than me. Played on D1 sports with Brian Clifton. Idk if that counts since he wasn’t a wildcats yet. Still good memories for me.

Art Still was in my Freshman English class in 1974.
Shot pool a lot with Dave Fadrowski (Fud) in Haggin Hall.

Scott Padgett and Cameron Mills while waiting in line with my dad for a soda at a WCW Nitro in Louisville. It was Spring of 98, so we had just won or was about to win the title. They signed the UK jacket I was wearing and still have it.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Scott Padgett and Cameron Mills while waiting in line with my dad for a soda at a WCW Nitro in Louisville. It was Spring of 98, so we had just won or was about to win the title. They signed the UK jacket I was wearing and still have it.

I remember seeing a video of that event just about 6 months ago, and as it pans the crowd, you see Padgett and Mills. Was hilarious.

Reactions: TheBlueCat
Winston Bennett would be the first to have a conversation with.

Ramsey came to a class in HS and talked with us for a bit.

I pretty much met the entire team when Ron Mercer played a game at Louisville Gardens. Mark Pope moreso than the others. My best friend had Pope sign the back of a homecoming pic he had as that was the only thing he could write on.

Last person I talked to directly tied to the program was Mr. Wildcat. My dad and I toured the new facility and had a picture taken with him with the NCAA championship trophy in front of us on display. Enjoyed every second and gave us a private tour. RIP

I think that game was at Broadbent Arena wasn’t it? I remember Rhodes coming and watching, just staring at Mercer.

Mine was Larry Pursiful, who played with Cotton Nash in the early 60s (second leading scorer in 62). He became our activities minister and he and my dad became really good friends. He’d take us to games, let us go to the KMan club to eat, would have former players come in to speak at his yearly basketball camp.

Wed play pickup all the time and that’s when I knew how good division 1 players were. The dude was in his 40s and still dominate and wouldn’t miss a three pointer.

I met Derek Anderson a couple of years ago at a breast cancer fundraiser. Chatted with him for a few minutes. Of course I asked him if his knee was really healed and he was ready to play in the '97 championship game and he said it was. He's a really nice guy.

Met Rondo at a popular strip club in DC the year he was playing with the bulls. Whole team was there except Wade, assume they’d just played the wizards.

Rondo was clearly the older brother/chaperone figure. Didn’t seem too interested in the club, and not drinking or anything.

Made eye contact with him (which is always a little weird in that environment) on my way out and he gave a weird look at first but I just stuck my hand out and told him I was a big Kentucky fan and said thanks.

He seemed relieved then like nodded real solemnly, dapped me up, and said thank you back.

Prob would’ve asked for a picture if we’d been anywhere else loll.

Met deron feldhaus in spring ‘92 at keeneland right after that game. very nice, personable.
Deron gives golf lessons to kids in Maysville. He helped my daughter when she was learning about 5 years ago. His son is going to be a heck of a golfer.

Deron gives golf lessons to kids in Maysville. He helped my daughter when she was learning about 5 years ago. His son is going to be a heck of a golfer.
Deron could drive a golf ball 400 yards in his younger days. Massive drives...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT