ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you rather

Who would you rather have as the UK Coach in there prime?

• Rupp

Votes: 53 56.4%
  • Calipari

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Bob Knight

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Dean Smith

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Coach K

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Jeff Van Gundy

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Steve Alford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Juwan Howard

• Penny Hardaway

• Phil Jackson

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters
Rupp built a dynasty. But it's questionable about how well he sustained it (59-73).
Pitino, not on the list, did a quick re-build/recovery, and had the personality to sustain it, but we'll never know if he would have.
Smith was consistently impressive, while not every "wow".
Knight was as good a coach as any on this list, but the personality was NOT one to sustain a dynasty.
Wooden, not on the list, did something that will never be repeated (w/ $$ support), but outside of those dozen years was just ok.
Jackson, great in pro's, when he had one of the 2-3 best in the game leading his team. No idea about college.
I voted for K. He both built (you could argue re-built) a dynasty, and he sustained it. He was actually who I wanted instead of Pitino in 88. Of course we all learned to hate him since then.

You have Alford, Penny & Howard on the list, when most wouldn't put them in the top 50 coaches of all time. Yet you omit Wooden & Pitino?
I was going to say Alford, Penny and Howard combined would have been a Spectacular player, not so much as a coach. Might as well have BCG included with these chumps.

I mean in their PRIME?!

There is zero doubt it's Cal or Pitino.

We saw what both can do in their prime's with the keys to the kingdom.

Sadly Cal is not in his prime anymore.

Reactions: Jont0805
If your answer is anything but Rupp, I don't know what to tell you.

Pitino or Cal is a close second, but Rupp won 4 titles and had a .800+ winning percentage.

If you get anyone in their prime, you take Rupp.

Rupp built a dynasty. But it's questionable about how well he sustained it (59-73).
Pitino, not on the list, did a quick re-build/recovery, and had the personality to sustain it, but we'll never know if he would have.
Smith was consistently impressive, while not every "wow".
Knight was as good a coach as any on this list, but the personality was NOT one to sustain a dynasty.
Wooden, not on the list, did something that will never be repeated (w/ $$ support), but outside of those dozen years was just ok.
Jackson, great in pro's, when he had one of the 2-3 best in the game leading his team. No idea about college.
I voted for K. He both built (you could argue re-built) a dynasty, and he sustained it. He was actually who I wanted instead of Pitino in 88. Of course we all learned to hate him since then.
K was as sleazy as they come and apparently a complete condescending ass off the court. Worse than Rick. At least Rick could feign politeness and charm. K is just a giant rat's d!(&

And take this from someone, even as a UK fan, used to admire him for his toughness and grit. Nah, he let his players act like overgrown toddlers. No thank you.

And yet in their prime they each only have 1 title.

Rupp had 4.

Okay but can we all admit that basketball was completely different back then? I mean black players didn't even play for the majority of Rupp's career.

The tournament had 8 teams in it.

Kentucky was one of the only places in the world that had some of their games televised.

It'd be like saying you'd take Oscar Robertson in his prime over Michael Jordan because he has more championships.

We can admit that basketball was just different back then.

I mean come on, what are we even talking about here?

Okay but can we all admit that basketball was completely different back then? I mean black players didn't even play for the majority of Rupp's career.

The tournament had 8 teams in it.

Kentucky was one of the only places in the world that had some of their games televised.

It'd be like saying you'd take Oscar Robertson in his prime over Michael Jordan because he has more championships.

We can admit that basketball was just different back then.

I mean come on, what are we even talking about here?
But was coaching? Perhaps so, but again, do you think Pitino or Cal could outcoach Rupp? On an x and o level?

That's highly highly debatable.

The Chosen One, Richard Pitino, AKA, Cal’s Daddy!

Last edited:
I mean if we are talking about in their PRIME Cal or Pitino.

The only reason I don't include Rupp in my answer is because I wasn't alive at that time. Obviously Rupp was great, it's just hard for me to compare him to Cal or Pitino.

I just know Pitino in the 90’s and Cals first years here was a hell of a time being a uk basketball fan! Damn I miss those days!!

I guess the people here choosing Pitino like winning only 1 championship. I like winning too much to be happy with RP’s resume.

As much as this board hates him, I think Coach K is the answer. Rupp dominated his era, K dominated multiple eras and was able to change his coaching style and philosophy as the times changed. Plus, no one can doubt he loved the school we worked for and would go to war for the school and players. Even late in his tenure his passion for winning never seemed to died down, unlike some others we know…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT