ADVERTISEMENT

Who was your favorite random team over the years?

The Xavier Elite 8 runs in 2004, 2008, and 2017 were all really fun to watch as a native Cincinnatian. I like UC basketball too, but for non blue blood teams that are good programs, it’s the Elite 8 that gets you that “they made a run” stamp. UC ain’t done that since 96, I’m just a bit too young to remember that. First team I remember was 98 Kentucky Champions!!

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
My favorite player of all time. Best SF in NBA history. Sorry LeBron but you couldn't touch Bird.
I thought Larry was legendary and at his peak at Indiana st but my God what he did at Boston made him God like best basketball player I have ever seen in my lifetime and you know his teammate Danny ainge at byu was not shabby either led byu to a final four with nothing may have been the same year or the year we won it in 78

I thought Larry was legendary and at his peak at Indiana st but my God what he did at Boston made him God like best basketball player I have ever seen in my lifetime and you know his teammate Danny ainge at byu was not shabby either led byu to a final four with nothing may have been the same year or the year we won it in 78
Bird, Ainge, Chief, McHale, Maxwell, DJ. My favorite NBA years without a doubt. If you haven't seen Magic and Bird A Courtship of Rivals then give it a watch. Loved it. I was the rare Celts fan who loved Magic. Fun times back then. Apparently last week there was a newly released Bird interview from back in the day. Have yet to watch but I will. Read about it on Barstoolsports.com.

Reactions: ORCAT and blubo
#1 has to be indiana state. dayton’s team with obi toppin was rolling to a #1 seed with a real shot to win it until covid shut them down. uc with kenyon martin was fun to watch and i think could’ve won the nc until he broke his leg in the tournament.

#1 has to be indiana state. dayton’s team with obi toppin was rolling to a #1 seed with a real shot to win it until covid shut them down. uc with kenyon martin was fun to watch and i think could’ve won the nc until he broke his leg in the tournament.
The Dayton team I remember most was the 1984 squad with Roosevelt Chapman and Cedric Toney who lost to Georgetown in the Elite Eight.

Reactions: blubo
79 Indiana St and one man show Larry bird greatest player I have ever seen In My lifetime
This one.

I liked NC St in 83. Cozell McQueen. I liked Bailey, Whittenburg and Lowe. Lorenzo Charles and Terry Gannon.

I liked some Gonzaga teams and liked Utah when not playing us.

Rooted hard for Nova in 85, who didn't? Georgetown was like Darth Vader.

Creighton last year as I thought they could take out UCONN.

Wichita St a few years back.

Last edited:
Nova in 85 saved the world. Did it again in 16.

I loved the Gonzaga team three years ago that beat UCLA in the best game since the Laettner game.

Surprised no one has brought up 83 NC State. Probably the best run in college basketball history.

I'm 45, so going with;

Fab Five for the hype train
UNLV was just something special
40 min of Hell was fun, even if you are a Kentucky fan
Purdue with Big Dog was pretty fun up here.

EDIT; I spent a decade in Charlottesville, so was absolutely hyped for UVA to finally get it done. Lot of good friends down there still.

Reactions: Tida Nysage
I remember when Gonzaga played in 1999 and they made a Cinderella run to the Elite 8. I kept asking who that team was and had to look up where they were located. I love Cinderella stories (except when they play UK, of course!), especially when they make a good run in the tournament and beat the pants off of teams I hate.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

2008 Davidson was fun to watch. Steph Curry had everyone wondering how all the big programs missed out in him.

I remember really getting into the 1990 Final Four as a kid. That UNLV team was sick. GT too. I also remember my parents hoping first year UK coach Rick Pitino would get UK to the FF soon. He did.

Ha, yes, this popped in my mind as well. I barely remember that team but just remember really enjoying watching him play.
Beilein ball at its finest. Solid defensively but really pretty, unselfish basketball on the offensive end. Shooter from 1-5.

The 2008 Western Kentucky team that ran into the 1 seed UCLA with Love, Westbrook & Collison in the Sweet 16. They had Steffphon Pettigrew from my hometown, Courtney Lee who had a decent NBA career, Orlando Mendez-Valdez, Jeremy Evans & Tyrone Brazelton. Went back to the Tournament in 2009.

'89-'90 Xavier team. I was in 4th grade, grew up in Northern KY so they were all over media. Team only made it to Sweet 16 but I remember that being the first tournament I paid attention to. I couldn't even remember how far they made it, but just looked it up. Lost to a Texas team coached by Tommy Penders (name from the past)...that team have 3 guys averaging 20+ ppg...yikes.

Reactions: bthaunert
th

When I was a kid, for some reason I loved the 1993 Syracuse team with Lawrence Moten, Adrian Autry, J.B. Reafsnyder, etc. I also liked the Vandy teams with Billy Mccaffrey, Ronnie McMahan, Frank Seckar, Howard Pride, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT