ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the most disappointing Wildcat since probation ended in 1991?

Cal era: Kahlil Whitney, Skal, Devin Askew, Wenyen Gabriel, EJ Montgomery.

Tubby Era: Antwain Barbour, Rashaad Carruth, Marvin Stone, Jason Parker, Desmond Allison

Pitino Era: Aminu Timberlake, Oliver Simmons,

Gillispie era: Alex Legion
Throw in Charles matthews and Johnny juzang too since they went on to have nice careers with other schools

I’ve not read through the 5 pages to see if he’s there, but Olivier Sarr has to be top 10. Aside from that, I can’t argue with any of them. Maybe replace Camara with him
Is it bad that Olivier Sarr has been almost completely wiped from my memory? Almost like last year never happened.

Reactions: drcats2013
Throw in Charles matthews and Johnny juzang too since they went on to have nice careers with other schools

i almost put matthews in there. Juzang…yeah because he didn’t stick it out and turned out to be good. But i thought he did okay in limited minutes as a freshman.

We ended up having a decent season that year but if we’re being honest Cal made a few questionable rotation decisions. Starting whitney over quickley and giving him minutes over juzang till he essentially quit on the team. Montgomery over Sestina was another one that i think hurt us.

i almost put matthews in there. Juzang…yeah because he didn’t stick it out and turned out to be good. But i thought he did okay in limited minutes as a freshman.

We ended up having a decent season that year but if we’re being honest Cal made a few questionable rotation decisions. Starting whitney over quickley and giving him minutes over juzang till he essentially quit on the team. Montgomery over Sestina was another one that i think hurt us.
Admittedly juzang couldn’t and still can’t dribble or play defense but I think cal put too much emphasis on it, ucla let’s juzang turn it over and get scored on and it made him comfortable enough where he’s putting up a lot of points

Who ya got?

My list:

#10. Jarred Vanderbilt - Ah, what could have been? Vanderbilt went from being one of the most intriguing players in the country (when healthy) to disappearing into injury oblivion.

#9. Jules Camara - a big man with all the physical tools to become a absolute matchup nightmare, but never took that ultimate step into All-SEC territory.

#8. Kahlil Whitney - from top 10 McDonald's All-American, to team quitter, the mystery of Kahlil Whitney continues to leave a bizarre residue in Lexington.

#7. Hamidou Diallo - Diallo was the most athletic player in the nation during his lone year at UK, but inconsistency blemished his freshmen campaign and ultimately hurt Kentucky's title chances.

#6. Jared Prickett - from starter on a Final Four team as a freshmen, to an 8th or 9th man as a senior. When did Prickett improve? .

#5. Marvin Stone - Stone came to UK as one of the premier talents in his high school class, but never become much more than a role player for Tubby Smith's Wildcats.

#4. Ryan Harrow - absolute head case who was the main reason for the NIT season in 2013.

#3. Skal Labissiere - one of the most overrated high school prospects in the modern era.

#2. BJ Boston - Was expected to lead UK to a solid season but only ended up leading UK to a 9-16 record.

#1. Rodrick Rhodes - Along with Jason Kidd, was considered one of the top 2 prospects in the nation coming out of high school. Ended up as a 5 year college player who barely made a cameo in the NBA. Was absolutely dreadful in season-ending games for UK where he went a collective 2/20 from the field in three games and scored a total of 8 points.
Skal by a mile.

Rashaad Carruth deserves mention here
Rashaad played at Oak Hill for Steve Smith. When he got to UK he has that famous incident where he got mad at Tubby and wouldnt shoot anymore, so Tubby called Steve Smith explaining what happened and said what to I do? Coach Smith said, "no idea but he's all yours now!".

Tubby and Coach Smith are great friends.

One not mentioned was Derrick Hord. Great guy and had a decent career but he had real lofty expectations out of high school that didnt quite pan out.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Every player being mentioned but one has something in common the other can’t claim…

At least they got out on the court for the name on the front of the jersey, and tried to some degree. The other guy couldn’t care less.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Skal is #1. Straw man was tougher and had more brains (before meeting the wizard) than that kid!

WCS had an incredible junior year at UK, especially in relation to his ranking out of high school. That last game left a sour taste in some mouths, I guess. Which I can understand. Absolutely no showed against Wisconsin, hard to understand.
We all have our moments at the worst possible times.

I can't bring myself to read all the way through this thread. It's awful. Why is anyone discussing this topic? On the internet. Where everyone can see you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old_Red
I can't bring myself to read all the way through this thread. It's awful. Why is anyone discussing of this topic? On the internet. Where everyone can see you.
I suppose some fans can handle the highs and lows of player expectations versus actual performance and don't see certain subjects as taboo.

• Angry
Reactions: Old_Red
Admittedly juzang couldn’t and still can’t dribble or play defense but I think cal put too much emphasis on it, ucla let’s juzang turn it over and get scored on and it made him comfortable enough where he’s putting up a lot of points
He dribbles the ball just fine. He's a crafty scorer. He is pretty slow though n kills him defensively

Barbour has to be up there. Played JuCo with Tony Allen and was the more highly regarded prospect. Was projected to be a 1st rounder.

Career stats: 4.2 points, 2.0 rebounds per game on 40% shooting/26% three point shooting.

Ouchie.
I'd forgot about him but he may have been the most disappointing to me, watching him HS and then in JC I thought he would be a absolute stud

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
Who ya got?

My list:

#10. Jarred Vanderbilt - Ah, what could have been? Vanderbilt went from being one of the most intriguing players in the country (when healthy) to disappearing into injury oblivion.

#9. Jules Camara - a big man with all the physical tools to become a absolute matchup nightmare, but never took that ultimate step into All-SEC territory.

#8. Kahlil Whitney - from top 10 McDonald's All-American, to team quitter, the mystery of Kahlil Whitney continues to leave a bizarre residue in Lexington.

#7. Hamidou Diallo - Diallo was the most athletic player in the nation during his lone year at UK, but inconsistency blemished his freshmen campaign and ultimately hurt Kentucky's title chances.

#6. Jared Prickett - from starter on a Final Four team as a freshmen, to an 8th or 9th man as a senior. When did Prickett improve? .

#5. Marvin Stone - Stone came to UK as one of the premier talents in his high school class, but never become much more than a role player for Tubby Smith's Wildcats.

#4. Ryan Harrow - absolute head case who was the main reason for the NIT season in 2013.

#3. Skal Labissiere - one of the most overrated high school prospects in the modern era.

#2. BJ Boston - Was expected to lead UK to a solid season but only ended up leading UK to a 9-16 record.

#1. Rodrick Rhodes - Along with Jason Kidd, was considered one of the top 2 prospects in the nation coming out of high school. Ended up as a 5 year college player who barely made a cameo in the NBA. Was absolutely dreadful in season-ending games for UK where he went a collective 2/20 from the field in three games and scored a total of 8 points.

well done.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
He dribbles the ball just fine. He's a crafty scorer. He is pretty slow though n kills him defensively
lol what? Have u watched UCLA play at all? He can only dribble with one hand and he can’t do it in traffic he has to turn his back to protect the ball, have u ever seen him drive to the basket? No everything is off cuts, turn arounds or spot ups if he could dribble he would’ve went to the draft last year lol

Jodie Meeks. He was a selfish SOB. And he proved it when he bailed on his team when he learned he'd have to play with people better than him. Eff that guy. ;)

Skal. Cal had him with his back to the basket, much like an old school center, when he was never going to be that type of player.

Boston would be # 2 on any list I created using the OP's criteria.

lol what? Have u watched UCLA play at all? He can only dribble with one hand and he can’t do it in traffic he has to turn his back to protect the ball, have u ever seen him drive to the basket? No everything is off cuts, turn arounds or spot ups if he could dribble he would’ve went to the draft last year lol
He turns around because he is great at posting his man up off the dribble. It's the same move tons of NBA guys make. Kobe was one of the best at it. He didn't get drafted because he's slow.

He turns around because he is great at posting his man up off the dribble. It's the same move tons of NBA guys make. Kobe was one of the best at it. He didn't get drafted because he's slow.
Lol what????? Juzang does this behind the three point line, that’s not posting up, that’s protecting the ball because he can’t dribble. And again if he’s making the “same moves that tons of NBA guys make” then we would’ve gone in the draft last year. I’m not saying he would’ve gotten drafted, im saying he would’ve declared for the draft. he’s not going to increase his speed. That’s a mostly natural gift that can only be marginally improved. He came back to improve his skill

Let's tear your ACL and see how you do.

Easy there Tonya Harding.

Poythress was 8 games into his junior year when that happened. He was averaging 5.5 points a game and 3.8 rebounds. 2 full seasons and 8 games as a junior is enough of a sample size to know what you've got. His freshman game against Duke I thought we were getting a star. He turned out to just be an average player. I liked Poythress, he just didn't become near what I though he was capable of with his size and athleticism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT