ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the most disappointing Wildcat since probation ended in 1991?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Who ya got?

My list:

#10. Jarred Vanderbilt - Ah, what could have been? Vanderbilt went from being one of the most intriguing players in the country (when healthy) to disappearing into injury oblivion.

#9. Jules Camara - a big man with all the physical tools to become a absolute matchup nightmare, but never took that ultimate step into All-SEC territory.

#8. Kahlil Whitney - from top 10 McDonald's All-American, to team quitter, the mystery of Kahlil Whitney continues to leave a bizarre residue in Lexington.

#7. Hamidou Diallo - Diallo was the most athletic player in the nation during his lone year at UK, but inconsistency blemished his freshmen campaign and ultimately hurt Kentucky's title chances.

#6. Jared Prickett - from starter on a Final Four team as a freshmen, to an 8th or 9th man as a senior. When did Prickett improve? .

#5. Marvin Stone - Stone came to UK as one of the premier talents in his high school class, but never become much more than a role player for Tubby Smith's Wildcats.

#4. Ryan Harrow - absolute head case who was the main reason for the NIT season in 2013.

#3. Skal Labissiere - one of the most overrated high school prospects in the modern era.

#2. BJ Boston - Was expected to lead UK to a solid season but only ended up leading UK to a 9-16 record.

#1. Rodrick Rhodes - Along with Jason Kidd, was considered one of the top 2 prospects in the nation coming out of high school. Ended up as a 5 year college player who barely made a cameo in the NBA. Was absolutely dreadful in season-ending games for UK where he went a collective 2/20 from the field in three games and scored a total of 8 points.

Last edited:
He'd be top 20, for sure.

For me, Rhodes was the most disappointing. He was a lot like Felipe Lopez in regards to being a very good college player for four years, but neither of these guys was supposed to be "very good." Both were expected to be program icons, and it just never happened.
When he clanked the 2 Freebies v Arkansas in the SECT final I thought UK was done for!

That’s a good list, OP. Prickett and Camara were actually after party all Americans, so maybe not fair to include them.

Jon Hood never panned out. Believe he was rated higher than Kawi Leonard in high school if you can believe it.

The end of Jason Parker’s career should have its own category in this space. And then a separate wing adjacent to the conversation with Johnathan Stewart.

Alex Poythress makes my list too. He had so much athletic ability to be so soft. His freshman year against Duke in the champions classic game I thought we were getting a beast.
I started to put him in there, but that ACL injury probably made a huge difference in dooming him. I didn't think it was right to hold that against him.

That said, he always seemed to be one game away from breaking out and becoming a star. It never happened though.

Duh... JARED CARTER. easy answer.
But for real: Matt Pilgrim. I kid!!
How about Rashad Carruth? Huh?

Kelenna Azubuike dude had it all except a killer instinct. I expected him to be the next Michael or Kobe. The talent was there
His was the first recruitment I really followed and I thought he was going to come in and be unstoppable 🤣. I think he would have had a better nba career without injuries. He definitely had some sick highlights though. Still liked him as a player though… just thought he was gonna be an all American.

Reactions: Cat in ga
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT