ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the GOAT for Kentucky Basketball?

I was born in 78 so never watched him live, but has to be Big Dan.

Now total career wise? Could make a strong case for Pat Riley.

Injuries must be considered face facts
If Mike Casey doesn’t break his leg in 1970
We don’t lose to Jacksonville and probably have 9 titles makes Issel look a lot better
1- Coach Rupp (near retirement/bad health) was losing his edge
2- UCLA owned the NCAA with Alcindor (Jabbar)
3- NO AT LARGE BIDS = had to win SEC Title to get in
4- Mike Casey (one of our greatest) broke his leg
5- Ref fouled Dan out on a Bogus call running down court (Jacksonville)

IMPORTANT:
Don't think of Dan as ancient history. He averaged 22 points 9 rebounds a game for his pro career playing against:
..David Thompson
..Kareem
..Dr J
..Larry Bird
..Magic Johnson etc
2) UK would have to reach F4 back then to ever play UCLA, it was geographically based; so that was NOT a factor
3) UK got in 2 of his 3 years, 1-1 both times
4) Mashburn never had a Casey
5) Mashburn was also very questionably fouled out in OT in both E8 and F4 games

Again not saying Issel not on the 2-man short list, and probably the favorite. He is!
Again we aren’t including pro careers. Mashburn’s 19-5-4 nba career stats pretty good too, playing vs guys like Jordan, Olajuwon, Malone, Pippen, Shaq, Webber, Kobe, Robinson, Duncan, McGrady.

I didn’t mean to upset you Jonathan but I loved Mashburn too. But Issel was just that much better. I am not close minded at all, it’s just there in plain sight. You have to make a rude comment on baby boomers when you are from Gen X which many consider to be the lost generation. Just let it go and accept the fact they were both great at UK.
You started the rude comments. And many blame the Boomers for a lot of what is wrong with America.

And your last statement is what I’ve been saying!!!!!
I’ve even said “yeah it’s probably Issel”!!
You are the one been saying we shouldn’t even consider Mash (or any others) in the conversation.

2) UK would have to reach F4 back then to ever play UCLA, it was geographically based; so that was NOT a factor
3) UK got in 2 of his 3 years, 1-1 both times
4) Mashburn never had a Casey
5) Mashburn was also very questionably fouled out in OT in both E8 and F4 games

Again not saying Issel not on the 2-man short list, and probably the favorite. He is!
Again we aren’t including pro careers. Mashburn’s 19-5-4 nba career stats pretty good too, playing vs guys like Jordan, Olajuwon, Malone, Pippen, Shaq, Webber, Kobe, Robinson, Duncan, McGrady.
Jonathan, I won't debate with you.
You apparently are not old enough to have seen Dan play.
But in my not so humble opinion, you are totally wrong.
It's not even close. Issel is our GOAT.

Rupp was having physical issues but his mind was sharp I know this Joe Hall did a lot of coaching at that time
That team with Casey healthy world be hard to beat even UCLA May have lost
Issei was fouled out on a cheap charging call
When Vaughn Wedking set up at mid court
And did not let Dan have space to land and
Go up court
We still had the lead when that occurred
Mark Soderberg had to come in and play center Tom Parker almost won the game for us
All factors
WW, you nailed it above.

FWIW, I sort of knew Coach Rupp too. (not like you did)
Coach and Esther were best friends with my Aunt/Uncle.
(My Aunt called him "Babe")

They hung out and vacationed together.
So I had a few occasions. Visited him on his Farm once.

Reactions: WILDCAT WILLIE69
Jonathan, I won't debate with you.
You apparently are not old enough to have seen Dan play.
But in my not so humble opinion, you are totally wrong.
It's not even close. Issel is our GOAT.
You made excuses for Issel, who is probably our GOAT, thus shouldn’t need excuses. And I shot them down. You lose.
And if you are not literate, I have not said Issel is not our GOAT, in fact I’ve said several times he probably is.

Anybody before the 70s dismiss, they wouldn't stand a chance today, so stop the foolishness with Issel, Beard, Nash ETC

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
Injuries must be considered face facts
If Mike Casey doesn’t break his leg in 1970
We don’t lose to Jacksonville and probably have 9 titles makes Issel look a lot better

Oh ok so we are allowed to crown mythical titles now. Let's add 2014 and 2015 then as locks and 1997 too. 2003 is a maybe and so on.

We probably should have 13 titles. Should. Don't.

Mashburn’s 19-5-4 nba career stats pretty good too.
Issel averaged 22.6 pts and 9.1 rebounds over his 15 year pro career. Why do keep saying he’s “probably” the best / in the top 2. There can only be one GOAT. Quit being wishy-washy.

Anybody before the 70s dismiss, they wouldn't stand a chance today, so stop the foolishness with Issel, Beard, Nash ETC
I always disagree with this take. You have to look at how guys compare in their specific era. Of course guys like Nash and Beard would never be able to compete in todays game, but it doesn’t mean that they can’t be considered the GOAT.

Just think, in 2042, someone is going to say Mashburn shouldn’t be considered one of the greats bc he played 50 years ago.

You have to compare them to the success of their era.

Dan Issel
Yes! We’ve been blessed with some of the greatest to ever play college basketball and I’m very proud to say I’m a Kentucky Wildcat! Saying that, Big Dan is the greatest of them all and it’s going to be very hard for anyone to take that away from him. They’ll have to play at minimum two years and be very close to his career production. I hope to see that happen, but with the game setup like we have now, it’s almost impossible! Had Davis played another year and had an even better year than his first, maybe we have a new king. For now though, Dan wears the crown for Kentuckys greatest player at the college level. JMO of course. Thanks

Reactions: KFuqua
It hurts Mash's legacy just a *little* that he didn't win a title here, but if you were old enough to watch where we came from and how he (along with Pitino) resurrected our program from the ashes to lead us to that heartbreaker against Duke in the Elite Eight, and then ultimately back to the Final Four just a few short years after coming off a devastating probation there's a little grace there for not actually winning the title. Also, in my lifetime I've just never seen someone have a better career at UK spanning multiple seasons. Like I said, no doubt best single season AD. Best career for me, Mashburn. Again I'm talking my lifetime.
He fouled out of the games that matters. He's not even in the top 5.

• Angry
Reactions: STL_Cat
The topic is GOAT (one person). You acknowledge Bogans isn’t it so what’s there to discuss with him?
Sorry I thought this was a discussion board where you discussed things. I didn't realize it was a board that no discussion was allowed and we all had to agree on one person. 🙄

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT