ADVERTISEMENT

Vandagriff

64% Completion , 2:1 TD to pick rate and 2800 yards for the season passing. 15 YPG rushing. That would put him in mid-tier SEC rankings IMO. He doesn't have much game experience but he has been with one of the top teams in college football for 3 years so he has had some excellent coaching and a lot of practice snaps against some of the best defensive players in football so he probably has a bit higher ceiling than that.

64% Completion , 2:1 TD to pick rate and 2800 yards for the season passing. 15 YPG rushing. That would put him in mid-tier SEC rankings IMO. He doesn't have much game experience but he has been with one of the top teams in college football for 3 years so he has had some excellent coaching and a lot of practice snaps against some of the best defensive players in football so he probably has a bit higher ceiling than that.

I think he has a bigger year than you predicted. With the WR talent UK has I think he does something like 26 TD with 5-7 int. Of course that would depend how much CMS allows the offense to open up. And he is a much better runner than seems to be getting credit for, but GA private school classification is SEC, but he looked good when he pulled it down and took off at UGA. I think he is over 3k total offenses fairly easy.

I think he has a bigger year than you predicted. With the WR talent UK has I think he does something like 26 TD with 5-7 int. Of course that would depend how much CMS allows the offense to open up. And he is a much better runner than seems to be getting credit for, but GA private school classification is SEC, but he looked good when he pulled it down and took off at UGA. I think he is over 3k total offenses fairly easy.
If he does as well as what you’ve stated I’ll be quite the happy camper.

Think this is a good prediction of what to expect if he avoids injury. He can definitely run.

Think this is a good prediction of what to expect if he avoids injury. He can definitely run.

Well of course it's a prediction made with him having no serious injury. He is a much better athlete than some here seem to think he is. He doesn't have the quickness and elusiveness of Stetson Bennet, but is much stronger physically and probably faster 40 time. When he played for UGA, I thought if anything he was too quick to pull it down and take off, of course that was on limited snaps.

Well of course it's a prediction made with him having no serious injury. He is a much better athlete than some here seem to think he is. He doesn't have the quickness and elusiveness of Stetson Bennet, but is much stronger physically and probably faster 40 time. When he played for UGA, I thought if anything he was too quick to pull it down and take off, of course that was on limited snaps.
I think Bennet is one of the coolest football stories I’ve seen in a long time, especially for how great he played and how amazing UGA was. Don’t see players often not hyped and walk on only to become a player like that and drafted.

I think Bennet is one of the coolest football stories I’ve seen in a long time, especially for how great he played and how amazing UGA was. Don’t see players often not hyped and walk on only to become a player like that and drafted.

Thanks, he could always play, he was just little, but what he lacked in size he made up for with how quick he could read the defense and know where to go with the ball as quick or quicker than anyone and definitely had the swagger, couple teams tried to hurt him but he survived.

I might be crazy but I think since season end there has been a concerted effort program wide to tone down boastful hopeful preseason talk. Downplaying themselves, being quiet and avoid making headlines.

It wasn't helpful leading into 2022 or 2023 having media blab all preseason about UK being a sleeper SEC East contender, that UK could be the 1 to topple Georgia. IMO that bred some comfort and complacency in the program. some players & coaches thought and acted as though we has made it when we weren't there yet.

I like the silence now going into 2024. Save the talk for games, S Carolina week 2, Georgia week3, Ole Miss week 5.

This will be another year of watching it all unfold. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Not a bad thing, keeps football extremely interesting. Hoping for this team to over achieve by a ton. Would be a fun year to go from the baseball teams year, Olympics, Football to basketball. Mix in women's basketball interest and women's volleyball and you have tons of interesting stories this fall/winter/spring.

If he only throws 5-7 Interceptions this offense will be golden.

That would put BVG as one of the most efficient QBs in the country.

And he is a much better runner than seems to be getting credit for, but GA private school classification is SEC, but he looked good when he pulled it down and took off at UGA.

In the UGA Spring Game, I thought he looked a tad quicker than Will Levis, but without Levis’s power.

BVG had a thousand yard rushing season in HS, so it is something he was good at at a far lower level.

Last edited:
In the UGA Spring Game, I thought he looked a tad quicker than Will Levis, but without Levis’s power.

BVG had a thousand yard rushing season in HS, so it is something he was good at at a far lower level.

He was also his teams leading receiver as a frosh, rushed for the 1000+ yards as a soph. He is a very good athlete, I don't know if he is as quick or quicker than Levis, but to think he can't run the ball is just incorrect. But even as big and strong as Levis was, he took a beating running the ball as much as he did.

How many former Cats make the Olympics?

One whose name was not familiar to
me made it today or yesterday. Sydney Mac is a lock. Abbey Steiner is likely. Might have some Olympic shooters, too.
Hall I think but not sure who else right now. Hall has not made it yet but is close, I think. Watched some trials last night along with UT / AM baseball game.

I'd rather have a guy that takes off too quick and then work on adjusting him off that from there thatn have one that is reluctant or just slow to take off and use his feet to make plays when needed. Hard to get those guys to change where I think you can teach Brock to be a little more patient but still have the instinct to take off and make a play.

Ive said it before but a QB's ability to use his feet to make big plays and keep drives alive is the biggest weapon and biggest threat to defenses in college football. It has to be part of the offense today. I know the threat of injury gets brought up but I still contend that there's a bigger threat of getting hurt standing in a collapsing pocket with 350 pounders falling into your legs than running where you can prepare for the hits or just get down.

I know the threat of injury gets brought up but I still contend that there's a bigger threat of getting hurt standing in a collapsing pocket with 350 pounders falling into your legs than running where you can prepare for the hits or just get down.
good point. I think I recall reading some data to support that. The QB in the pocket is unprotected, but if running can either lower his shoulders to protect or slide. Of course the 3rd option is to throw the ball away.

Ive said it before but a QB's ability to use his feet to make big plays and keep drives alive is the biggest weapon and biggest threat to defenses in college football.

Simply true and well stated.

Look at the last two Super Bowls!!

And here’s a stat that will make you think: BVG ran for more yards his best two years in HS than did the QB for Kansas City in his best two in high school. (Likely vastly different talent levels faced, though).

I'd rather have a guy that takes off too quick and then work on adjusting him off that from there thatn have one that is reluctant or just slow to take off and use his feet to make plays when needed. Hard to get those guys to change where I think you can teach Brock to be a little more patient but still have the instinct to take off and make a play.

Ive said it before but a QB's ability to use his feet to make big plays and keep drives alive is the biggest weapon and biggest threat to defenses in college football. It has to be part of the offense today. I know the threat of injury gets brought up but I still contend that there's a bigger threat of getting hurt standing in a collapsing pocket with 350 pounders falling into your legs than running where you can prepare for the hits or just get down.

I think the pulling it down quick comes from playing small private school ball, he was just a better athlete than anyone else and could get a 1st down running easier than making a tough throw. I think that is just a habit.

As for getting injuries by 350 lb all around your feet, sure it can happen, but lots of new rules to protect a QB today, can't touch their helmets, or go low on them when in pocket, but if they run they can slide and not be hit. But it's a collision sport, and injury can happen at any time. BV isn't frail, not a Tebow who is a monster by any stretch, but near Levis physically and if he runs smart should be fine, but you don't want your starting QB lowering his shoulder to get an extra yard.

Reactions: Soupbean
Simply true and well stated.

Look at the last two Super Bowls!!

And here’s a stat that will make you think: BVG ran for more yards his best two years in HS than did the QB for Kansas City in his best two in high school. (Likely vastly different talent levels faced, though).

I agree with Soup and you. In fact, I'll even go as far as to say that it doesn't have to be a big play. 3rd and 6 is very different than 3rd and 10.

Reactions: The-Hack
Episode 7 Movie GIF by Star Wars

but you don't want your starting QB lowering his shoulder to get an extra yard.

Yeah.

Levis’s first year, he was the hammer, and not the nail, and consistently got behind his pads to avoid injury.

His second year was slowed by an injury sustained against Ole Miss on the road. The Lord Giveth, and the Lord Taketh Away.

Yeah.

Levis’s first year, he was the hammer, and not the nail, and consistently got behind his pads to avoid injury.

His second year was slowed by an injury sustained against Ole Miss on the road. The Lord Giveth, and the Lord Taketh Away.
I remember him missing a game or 2, but couldn't remember when he was hurt.

Legend has it Levis broke his toe kicking something in frustration of the ole Miss loss. And hampered him the rest of the yr.

good point. I think I recall reading some data to support that. The QB in the pocket is unprotected, but if running can either lower his shoulders to protect or slide. Of course the 3rd option is to throw the ball away.
Yep. And the upside you get by the playmaking advantage of a, I wont say running QB but lets say a QB that will take off when needed makes it even more of a plus vs a guy that hangs in the pocket looking for his third or 4th read taking sacks and getting taking hits there.

I used to think it was a luxury to have a QB that can do that, now I its a must. Bennett at UGA was a perfect example of this. The kid was thought of as a game manager, marginal athlete but after watching him evolve the thing that made him a championship QB and so effective was his abiliyt to take off and kill teams with 3rd down conversions with his feet. The kids may not have been a big time athlete but he was quick and would take off at the drop of a hat to put a dagger in the defense.

I think the pulling it down quick comes from playing small private school ball, he was just a better athlete than anyone else and could get a 1st down running easier than making a tough throw. I think that is just a habit.

As for getting injuries by 350 lb all around your feet, sure it can happen, but lots of new rules to protect a QB today, can't touch their helmets, or go low on them when in pocket, but if they run they can slide and not be hit. But it's a collision sport, and injury can happen at any time. BV isn't frail, not a Tebow who is a monster by any stretch, but near Levis physically and if he runs smart should be fine, but you don't want your starting QB lowering his shoulder to get an extra yard.
Yeah Levis was a little reckless with his running sometimes, got caught up in the macho thing a little. You dont want to do that and dont really want to be running all the time. I'm just one that believes the ability to break the pocket on pass plays and take off is a HUGE threat today and much more of an offensive weapon than standing there and looking for read 3 or 4. The success rate on completions to reads 3 or 4 vs. the success rate of a QB that can avoid the rush and take off are 180 from each other in the take off favor.

I'm just one that believes the ability to break the pocket on pass plays and take off is a HUGE threat today

So true.

And it has always been a play that deflates /frustrates a defense.

I’ll never forget the classic call by UGA’s great play-by-play man (Larry Munson) when Lorenzen was gashing them up the middle: “Lorenzen looks like a Big Blue Christmas tree, and the Georgia defenders look like red ornaments hanging off of him.”

Reactions: Soupbean
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT