ADVERTISEMENT

This from Athlon about CCC's departure ...

Ripcord65

Senior
Apr 29, 2009
Here's a copy-and-paste from the Athlon website:

Kentucky Basketball Gets a Bailout as Hogs Call John Calipari

The Hall of Fame coach won a national title with the Wildcats but leaves amid the sting of another early NCAA tournament ouster.

John Calipari, champion turned charlatan, took the easy way out of Lexington. He chickened out of a challenge and fled for the chicken money, abruptly leaving for Arkansas with his tail between his legs. The cockiest man in college basketball tacitly admitted he can’t fix what he built up and then broke at Kentucky.

Make no mistake, this is a voluntary demotion in terms of career trajectory. He’s leaving a golden job for a golden parachute, with Tyson Chicken magnate John Tyson helping broker a lucrative five-year deal. Calipari is going to a place that does indeed love basketball, but is not on the same plane as Kentucky.

I agree completely with this assessment !

The Hall of Fame coach won a national title with the Wildcats but leaves amid the sting of another early NCAA tournament ouster.

John Calipari, champion turned charlatan, took the easy way out of Lexington. He chickened out of a challenge and fled for the chicken money, abruptly leaving for Arkansas with his tail between his legs. The cockiest man in college basketball tacitly admitted he can’t fix what he built up and then broke at Kentucky.

Make no mistake, this is a voluntary demotion in terms of career trajectory. He’s leaving a golden job for a golden parachute, with Tyson Chicken magnate John Tyson helping broker a lucrative five-year deal. Calipari is going to a place that does indeed love basketball, but is not on the same plane as Kentucky.

Wow spot on!

I could care less what anyone at ESPN has to say about us, especially Jay Williams. Calipari quit on Kentucky plain and simple with this season proving so.

This article is spot on and Calipari went to Arkansas to avoid a huge hit on his resume. Calipari was only looking out for himself.

I am amazed he is going to an SEC school. Every coach in the conference knows how to play vs him. Whoever our next coach is, I hope they just throw different zone variations at him.
Pick and roll on him every time. Can't teach 'em how to guard it.

I firmly believe Cal was essentially fired. I think UK helped him save face and there was a mutual agreement, but they weren't going to allow him to be the coach next year.

I firmly believe Cal was essentially fired. I think UK helped him save face and there was a mutual agreement, but they weren't going to allow him to be the coach next year.
This would completely explain the TV meeting between Cal and Mitch. And also why players are out of the loop on this. Atleast publicly.

Arkansas will have nice looking rosters but not so nice looking TEAMS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT