ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the GOAT for Kentucky Basketball?

Why is there any debate? Of course it's Dan Issel.
It has to be Issel or Mashburn. Although I could understand an argument for maybe Beard or Groza, but very few left who ever saw them play. But only 2 names should even be considered over the past 70 years.

It always amazes me that in these conversations the one name that never gets brought up is Keith Bogans. He is the 4th leading scorer all time, SEC All Freshman team, All SEC as a Sophomore, SEC POY as a Sr, 2nd or 3rd team All American according to 4 different outlets as a Sr, drafted in the 2nd round and went on to play for 13 years in the NBA. Is the the GOAT? Maybe not but he deserves to be in the conversation.
The topic is GOAT (one person). You acknowledge Bogans isn’t it so what’s there to discuss with him?

Would love to hear everyone’s choices and the reason why.

I’m going with AD just because he took college basketball by storm, was probably one of the greatest defensive players of all time in college basketball, and won a title with the 2012 team… I’m sure a lot of people will not choose AD but that’s mine.
Dan Issel is the all time leading scorer and rebounder at UK.
That's make you the GOAT doesn't it?

Up07bsQ.png

Dan Issel is the all time leading scorer and rebounder at UK.
That's make you the GOAT doesn't it?
You have to take into account other factors. For example Issel played at a time when it was common for the best of the best averaged 25, 30, even 35+ ppg, and when the best of the best were that all 3 years. Over the past 26 seasons there have been only 2 guys average 30ppg. But from 54-80 (27 seasons) there was only 1 year where there wasn’t at least 1 guy average 30+ ppg; over half of those 27 years there was at least one average 35+ ppg, and 5 years 40+ ppg. And rebounding was even more distorted compared to now. He also played when absolutely no one left college early to go pro. But on the other hand, FR were not eligible so he did it in 3 years, and there was no 3pt shot.
Should Issel be on the short (2 names) list? Yes! Is he probably it? Yes. But it’s not automatic.

Reactions: Zissou87
You have to take into account other factors. For example Issel played at a time when it was common for the best of the best averaged 25, 30, even 35+ ppg, and when the best of the best were that all 3 years. Over the past 26 seasons there have been only 2 guys average 30ppg. But from 54-80 (27 seasons) there was only 1 year where there wasn’t at least 1 guy average 30+ ppg; over half of those 27 years there was at least one average 35+ ppg, and 5 years 40+ ppg. And rebounding was even more distorted compared to now. He also played when absolutely no one left college early to go pro. But on the other hand, FR were not eligible so he did it in 3 years, and there was no 3pt shot.
Should Issel be on the short (2 names) list? Yes! Is he probably it? Yes. But it’s not automatic.
Yes it is

Reactions: KFuqua
Would love to hear everyone’s choices and the reason why.

I’m going with AD just because he took college basketball by storm, was probably one of the greatest defensive players of all time in college basketball, and won a title with the 2012 team… I’m sure a lot of people will not choose AD but that’s mine.
Issel

I am not one who thinks MVPs must come from champs and so on, but it is a valid argument that in 3 chances Issel made 0 F4s; missing 1 tournament and going 1-1 in the others.

So NO IT IS NOT!!!
Yes it is. He was the best by a long shot. The tittle did not say based on Final fours etc. it said who was the greatest player at UK. And it was Issel. Not sure how old u are but you sound like a millennial. Probably never saw Issel play.

Yes it is. He was the best by a long shot. The tittle did not say based on Final fours etc. it said who was the greatest player at UK. And it was Issel. Not sure how old u are but you sound like a millennial. Probably never saw Issel play.
Lol 😂 me a millennial 😂🤣😂. I’m 53. And no I never saw Issel play. But I did see Mashburn (who played before millennials were born much less before they were watching basketball). And Mash was head and shoulders above anyone else the past 40 years. Was he better than Issel? IDK, but he was good enough for there to be a debate. Mash was successful as a player AND made his teams that much better. In his 3 years, as good as those 3 teams were, I’m not sure he had even one teammate good enough to play 1 game in the NBA. If Issel was “significantly better” than that then wouldn’t he have won more than 2 total ncaa-t games in 3 years?
I’m open minded enough to say, maybe it is Issel (I think it probably is), whereas you appear too close minded to consider anyone else, obviously the Boomer mentality.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Lol 😂 me a millennial 😂🤣😂. I’m 53. And no I never saw Issel play. But I did see Mashburn (who played before millennials were born much less before they were watching basketball). And Mash was head and shoulders above anyone else the past 40 years. Was he better than Issel? IDK, but he was good enough for there to be a debate. Mash was successful as a player AND made his teams that much better. In his 3 years, as good as those 3 teams were, I’m not sure he had even one teammate good enough to play 1 game in the NBA. If Issel was “significantly better” than that then wouldn’t he have won more than 2 total ncaa-t games in 3 years?
I’m open minded enough to say, maybe it is Issel (I think it probably is), whereas you appear too close minded to consider anyone else, obviously the Boomer mentality.

Agreed.

Issels UK teams way under performed in the ncaa tourney IMO. Spare me the injuries excuse as it isn't allowed for the 2014 or 2015 team so don't want to hear it for the whatever team 50 years ago.

He is the best stats wise but Beard was better factoring n things that matter with titles and AD is best n the modern era holistically overall

Agreed.

Issels UK teams way under performed in the ncaa tourney IMO. Spare me the injuries excuse as it isn't allowed for the 2014 or 2015 team so don't want to hear it for the whatever team 50 years ago.

He is the best stats wise but Beard was better factoring n things that matter with titles and AD is best n the modern era holistically overall
Injuries must be considered face facts
If Mike Casey doesn’t break his leg in 1970
We don’t lose to Jacksonville and probably have 9 titles makes Issel look a lot better

We don’t lose to Jacksonville and probably have 9 titles makes Issel look a lot better
1- Coach Rupp (near retirement/bad health) was losing his edge
2- UCLA owned the NCAA with Alcindor (Jabbar)
3- NO AT LARGE BIDS = had to win SEC Title to get in
4- Mike Casey (one of our greatest) broke his leg
5- Ref fouled Dan out on a Bogus call running down court (Jacksonville)

IMPORTANT:
Don't think of Dan as ancient history. He averaged 22 points 9 rebounds a game for his pro career playing against:
..David Thompson
..Kareem
..Dr J
..Larry Bird
..Magic Johnson etc

1- Coach Rupp (near retirement/bad health) was losing his edge
2- UCLA owned the NCAA with Alcindor (Jabbar)
3- NO AT LARGE BIDS = had to win SEC Title to get in
4- Mike Casey (one of our greatest) broke his leg
5- Ref fouled Dan out on a Bogus call running down court (Jacksonville)

IMPORTANT:
Don't think of Dan as ancient history. He averaged 22 points 9 rebounds a game for his pro career playing against:
..David Thompson
..Kareem
..Dr J
..Larry Bird
..Magic Johnson etc
Rupp was having physical issues but his mind was sharp I know this Joe Hall did a lot of coaching at that time
That team with Casey healthy world be hard to beat even UCLA May have lost
Issei was fouled out on a cheap charging call
When Vaughn Wedking set up at mid court
And did not let Dan have space to land and
Go up court
We still had the lead when that occurred
Mark Soderberg had to come in and play center Tom Parker almost won the game for us
All factors

Reactions: uky8unc5
Mash will always bey favorite Cat but in my lifetime it has to be Davis.

He won every award and a NATI in one season. Unreal.

Casey was my hero and his loss to the team can’t be underestimated. No disrespect to Artis Gilmore … even tho we lost, that was a great and exciting game!!!

I didn’t mean to upset you Jonathan but I loved Mashburn too. But Issel was just that much better. I am not close minded at all, it’s just there in plain sight. You have to make a rude comment on baby boomers when you are from Gen X which many consider to be the lost generation. Just let it go and accept the fact they were both great at UK.

Casey was my hero and his loss to the team can’t be underestimated. No disrespect to Artis Gilmore … even tho we lost, that was a great and exciting game!!!
Casey my UK roommate it was a great game
Should not been spoiled by the terrible foul call on Dan again if Case not injured we wil going away

Reactions: uky8unc5
I'll throw in Ralph Beard if we are talking about who was the best at their time compared in their era for personal and team accomplishments:

4 time 1st team all SEC
4 time all SEC Tournament
3 time consensus 1st team all american
2 time national champion
1 time NIT champion
1 time NIT runner-up
Overall record of 130-10
SEC record of 39-0
Olympic gold medal
How come Ralph Beard went to UK but Coach Rupp couldn’t get his brother Butch to come play here!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT