ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Calipari rank among UK all-time coaches?

Where do you rank Calipari among UK all-time coaches?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Calipari is #3 for me, and that's his floor. There's just about nothing he could do to go lower than that.

I also don't think it's possible he can get to #1, but all he really needs to pass Pitino is one more F4 and return to his 2016-2020 production level.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
That is not correct. Off the top of my head, John Wooden, Dean Smith, Coach K went to 4 final fours in 6 years.
What I had read/heard - and more than once - is that Wooden, Krzyzewski and Calipari are the only 3 coaches in history to go to 4 Final Fours in 6 seasons.

Dean Smith Final Fours (11):

Looks like you're right. I'm wondering if I got the question wrong (maybe it was 4 final fours in 5 years? Wooden, K and Cal did that but not Smith) or if I got the answer wrong. If the right question is "which coaches made 4 final fours in 6 seasons?" you're right, Dean should be in there......

Those of you saying Calipari is less than Hall......Calipari got in the Hall of Fame mostly on the back of what he's done at Kentucky (4 of his 6 final fours and his only title). How is it then that Cal is in the Hall and Joe B is not? I don't think Hall has ever even been a finalist, or had much support - at all - to speak of. Joe B and Tubby were pretty similar.

There's a clear top 3. Neither Tubby nor Eddie nor Joe B are in the discussion.

Rupp is clearly first.

So it's between Rick and Cal. Cal's first 6 years were better than Rick's (tournament eligible) 6. One title, 4 final fours > one title, 3 final fours. I don't think either one could keep up that pace. We know that's true for Cal, as he's dipped after those 6 years. I suspect it would have been true for Rick - his recruiting was already started to take a hit, plus he's self-destructive anyway. But we don't know that for certain. In short, I would rank them as tied for second, but wouldn't argue with anyone ranking one over the other.
I'm not sure I'd agree that Rick's recruiting was taking a hit.

His last class had Michael Bradley, Myron Anthony, Byron Mouton, Ryan Hogan, and the transfer Heshimu Evans coming in, and this after Tracy McGrady had all but committed to UK before Adidas offered him $10 million to go pro and sign with them.

I mean, if Pitino was recruiting in the OAD Era, T-Mac would be right up there with Anthony Davis as far as prestige and talent. T-Mac wanted Kentucky. Pitino was hardly a dinosaur when it came to convincing elite players UK was for them. I think some people look at that Shane Battier class and see Pitino whiff on him and William Avery and assume he lost his touch, but Coach K brilliantly played the "Pitino to the NBA" angle to get those two, and it worked (and it proved true).

Also, keep in mind that Pitino was recruiting guys to UK when there were already established Final Four veterans on the roster. His Michael Bradley class (his last one that you said was "taking a hit") had Wayne Turner, Scott Padgett, Jeff Sheppard, Cameron Mills, Allen Edwards, Scott Padgett, Nazr Mohammed, and Jamaal Magloire all coming back from a team that almost won a title. Even so, Pitino managed to convince three top 40 guys (Mouton, Bradley, Anthony) and an elite transfer (Evans) to come to Lexington. He had even convinced T-Mac that UK was the place for him before Adidas came calling.

Additionally, Pitino had Vincent Yarbrough locked up for the following year and had us in great shape for Tayshaun Prince, JaRon Rush, and others. Yarbrough is forgotten now, but he was the #1 player in his class when Pitino left for the Celtics.

There was no "hit". He had Kentucky rolling, both in recruiting and on the hardwood.

For the record:

#1. Rupp
#2. Pitino - to go from probation to Final Four in two years (91-93) - yeah, there's only one guy who could do that on this planet.
#3. Calipari - would have been #2 but he's slipping since 2015 and his 2015 Final Four disaster doesn't help matters.
#4. Hall
#5. Smith
#6. Sutton
#7. BCG

For the record:

#1. Rupp
#2. Pitino - to go from probation to Final Four in two years (91-93) - yeah, there's only one guy who could do that on this planet.
#3. Calipari - would have been #2 but he's slipping since 2015 and his 2015 Final Four disaster doesn't help matters.
#4. Hall
#5. Smith
#6. Sutton
#7. BCG
looks correct to me.

Calipari is #3 for me, and that's his floor. There's just about nothing he could do to go lower than that.

I also don't think it's possible he can get to #1, but all he really needs to pass Pitino is one more F4 and return to his 2016-2020 production level.
You think it’s possible for Cal to move to number 1 on the list? Like pass Rupp? Seriously? Pass what ya smoking, my man.

edit: okay, I think I misread. My bad.

Reactions: VAWildcat15
Tied for 3rd with Joe B Hall. If his slide continues he can drop to 5th.
He’s barely treading water above Tubby at the moment.
Same amount of titles in more seasons.
And Tubby never missed the NCAAT while at UK!
I agree with this. Also IF Rick would have had Cals talent he would have won 5 titles. But stars really didnt matter with with Rick, he could develop 3 and 4 star kids into title contenders. Cal can't win with 5 star players unless one or more are AD level. Cal is tied with Hall and thats being kind.

Those of you saying Calipari is less than Hall......Calipari got in the Hall of Fame mostly on the back of what he's done at Kentucky (4 of his 6 final fours and his only title). How is it then that Cal is in the Hall and Joe B is not? I don't think Hall has ever even been a finalist, or had much support - at all - to speak of. Joe B and Tubby were pretty similar.
Hall never had a 9 win season

Right now I’d have Cal pretty firmly in 3rd.

Rick just ran a better program while he was here. With Cal it’s no longer a guarantee we’ll be good from one year to the next. Rick was never lower than a 3 seed in 6 tournament eligible seasons. Cal has missed the tourney twice, gotten an 8, a 5 and 2 4’s. And we were right on the fence between a 3 and a 4 when they called it last season. Bracket matrix had us as the top 4 seed.

Depending on how his final years play out Cal will finish anywhere from 2 to 4.

OK - then tell me how you distinguish between Joe B and Rick
Rick: 3 final fours, 1 title
Joe B: 3 final fours, 1 title
you make a very good point, To me the difference is style of play, Hall ball was as boring a Tubby ball. Ricks style was a blast to watch. His up tempo high speed style was fun, that press was killer and he loved the 3.

Good question, and I don’t want to undermine it, so I’ll say 4th, behind Rupp, Pitino, and Hall. But, who would you want to coach next year, given the criteria, and assuming they could and would? How many would pick Cal? Not me. I’d pick Tubby before, and probably Sutton, along with the previous mentioned. Hell, I’d probably pick BCG before Cal.

I may have high standards, but I never get why people think either Hall or Smith are HOF coaches. I think they’re a notch below being HOF coaches

You forgot the option to make him first for ending so much generational poverty......

I’ve also got him tied for third.

If he’d have left after 2015 I’d have had him tied for second. Or possibly even alone at second (reason being Rick brought us back from a place where probation sucked but “Kentucky” still meant “Rolls Royce” to most recruits—-Cal brought us back from a place where we were actually a joke to most recruits until he got here).

However, he’s tanked since 2015 and he’s been bringing us down with him as he goes....

OK - then tell me how you distinguish between Joe B and Rick?

Rick: 3 final fours, 1 title
Joe B: 3 final fours, 1 title
Did not know we were comparing Rick, personally having watched them both, I say Joe B is on par with Rick, what sets Rick apart is the fact that he took over the program when it was devastated by the Eddie scandal and brought it back to glory in a short period. Just for pure love of watching the game I take Rick or Joe B over Cal's last 5 years.

I agree it’s not clear cut to me between Joe B and Cal. Cal has one more final four (that also is his one extra EE) in I believe 2 less eligible years than Hall. That’s really the main thing, but you can weigh it against the losing season and call it a tie.

Some say win% but Hall never had as many or in many years any cupcakes on his schedule. Add 4 wins a year to Hall’s record and his win% is right with Cal’s.
True if Joe B. had played a schedule like Cal he would have at least 100 more wins to his record.

I’m curious to see where others think Calipari stands - as of now - among all-time UK coaches. Personally I have him tied with Joe B at 3rd, but since there’s several coaches with only 1 title I can see some debate.

Feel free to post your full list if you’d like.

*I didn’t include 1st or 6th as options to discourage troll votes.
After some thought and deliberation I think Cal's 1sty 5 years put him second, but since then I wouldn't rank him above Tubby, matter of fact the last few years remind me of Tubby ball.

I would actually argue that what Cal did at other schools had a the largest impact on his HoF induction. He holds the honor of being 1 of 2 coaches to take 3 schools to final fours. That alone, plus the title, is likely enough for the hall.

But he only needed 1 title at UK to do that. That alone wouldn’t even put him on Tubbys level much less Hall’s imo as far as his UK tenure. Seeing as this is a poll on UK legacy the HoF seems fairly irrelevant.

Also using the HoF as a barometer seems dubious in and of itself. It is by definition a popularity contest, and Naismith HoF has more criticisms than others for zero transparency (no one even knows the voters), inconsistent standards and a bias towards active coaches and players.

I would argue Rick’s first 6 are better based on where he started and finished. The cupboard was truly bare for him. On top of that Rick left the program at an absolute high, based on how Tubby was able to win a title in his first year.

Then a fictional 6 year slump can’t be held against Pitino, that makes no sense to me. He could just as easily have won a 2nd title in 1998 and maybe even a 3rd.

To me it’s Rick solidly in 2nd for now. Cal can jump up there but only with title #2.
To be fair the cupboard wasn't flowing with milk and honey for Cal either when he accepted the job. He went out and got the kids needed to win immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT