ADVERTISEMENT

Where Does Cal Have To Finish This Upcoming Season To Stay at UK? (You are the AD)

Where Does Cal Have To Finish This Year To Stay at UK?

• Total voters

bbncal02

All-American
Nov 14, 2017
Hopkinsville
We all know that a great deal of the fan base is unsatisfied with Cal currently.

We also know that at the moment, Cal will be here this upcoming season (unless something crazy occurs).

So, you get to be Mitch. You can’t fire Cal at present. No funds available. But you’re making preparations for the end of next season.

If you are Mitch, where must Cal lead the team next year to keep his position?

I picked "something else". Sure I want us to succeed but with Cal I'd be more interested in seeing if he can change his mindset. What does he prioritize, a players draft position or what is best for the team and program, team building and so on. Changing his mindset would lead us towards more success, in my opinion.

Personally, I don't think he'll ever change as he's getting away with the same thing year after year.

Tough question, if we have a poor regular season and say finish 4th in the SEC and go out in the 1st or 2nd round in the SECT I would need at least an E8. If we have a strong regular season and win the SEC regular season and/or tourney then I could deal with a S16 depending on circumstance and who we lost to. If I was the AD I would only fire him honestly if we had a poor regular season AND and 1st/2nd round exit.

it is unfair and i think it puts too much pressure on the team but i feal like it will take a final four to satisfy the fans next year.
as far as firing him unless he misses the tourny or gets in trouble i dont see any way and ad could fire a hofer coach. as much as i dont like it

Why do you idiots keep bringing this crap up? Get on with your life. Cal’s not going anywhere until he decides to retire. He’s never going to win less than 25 games a season, and nobody gets fired with numbers like that.
he isn't going anywhere, some of you on this board need serious mental help

I love when reasonable honest discussion is met with scorn and disdain. Sorry that we have displeased you my lieges.

We all know that a great deal of the fan base is unsatisfied with Cal currently.

We also know that at the moment, Cal will be here this upcoming season (unless something crazy occurs).

So, you get to be Mitch. You can’t fire Cal at present. No funds available. But you’re making preparations for the end of next season.

I see no way UK can fire Calipari with that huge buy out. While I think Calipari is a great coach and should not be fired and it would set UK back a few seasons until the next coach can rebuild.

I voted FF. However, I’m honestly not sure that’s possible because I really think he’s going to overthink things now that he’s on a
Sizzler.

I believe the team is going to have to have a hot start, and start SEC play with a chip, Every head scratching loss is going to compile, and the team could implode if Cal doesn’t keep them motivated.

That’s why it’s either going to be a FF season, or Cal will whiff again. I just don’t see a S16 or E8 finish because of the environment that’s going to be present.

Why do you idiots keep bringing this crap up? Get on with your life. Cal’s not going anywhere until he decides to retire. He’s never going to win less than 25 games a season, and nobody gets fired with numbers like that.
so your answer to the main question is just win 25 games...wow, how low we have sunk to accept that as a team and also to accept fans on your level...I am a much better fan of UK because I expect more from a program...I am not looking for Coaches heads, I am just looking for results...put them up or be gone

By my count and interpretation of his contract, to fire him next off-season would cost 39.75 million dollars. So it would have to be a 2020-21 esque season along with countless questionable public messages. Even then if he had Wagner and others on board for 23 it would probably not be enough.

To answer the question, for me as AD to be done with him(disregarding the behemoth contract), it would take a season not really in the top 25, no tournament success, and no real recruits of note. Something like Roy Williams last couple seasons at UNC(32-30 records with slipping recruiting).

By my count and interpretation of his contract, to fire him next off-season would cost 39.75 million dollars. So it would have to be a 2020-21 esque season along with countless questionable public messages. Even then if he had Wagner and others on board for 23 it would probably not be enough.

To answer the question, for me as AD to be done with him(disregarding the behemoth contract), it would take a season not really in the top 25, no tournament success, and no real recruits of note. Something like Roy Williams last couple seasons at UNC(32-30 records with slipping recruiting).

I don’t even think it would take all that. I think another season with two early tourney exits would do it.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
The problem is Barney is a fundamentalist bean counter. Cal isn't doing anything morally shameful, like a certain school 90 miles up 64, and his contract is too big to eat so no doubt Cal will be back. We are stuck in Cal mediocrity for at least 2 more years. Cal CAN get it done. He's proven it time and again. So if he doesn't improve, that just proves he's gotten fat and lazy.

Reactions: ukfan041
Um........nowhere because the dude that was AD before me happened to give him a lifetime contract lol

Cal lost a bunch of fans with the Sharpe fiasco.

To many, that thing was unforgivable and unforgettable.
I think the Sharpe fiasco (great word btw) was the icing on the cake
But it’s really no one thing..it’s a conglomerate of issues. One can explain away any one of those, but taken as a whole?
I’m going to say we need SEC regular season title, two wins in SECT , plus elite 8 AT THE MINIMUM
But those are easy criteria
I’m interested in seeing not only individual player, but team development..including the bench, offensive sets, learning to inbound, and solid defense. Quit playing thefavorites just because they’re NBA bound, unless they’re doing their job and quit the mindless screaming.

that might be asking for too much though

Has to meet the terms of his contract. No excerpts of that contract I have seen places any requirements on the tournament. Unlike a forum peopled win anonymous haters, the contract sets definite requirements. The shit slung here has no relevance.

Has to meet the terms of his contract. No excerpts of that contract I have seen places any requirements on the tournament. Unlike a forum peopled win anonymous haters, the contract sets definite requirements. The shit slung here has no relevance.
You know why most coaches get a buyout when they're fired? Guess, come on, guess...........ah nevermind, it's because they met the terms of their contract but got fired for poor results. Your turn Mr. Wizard.

I simply don't believe he can get it done anyore. Plain as that.

I'm not really interested in another year with him as coach.

He will play Wheeler at PG. We've already seen that movie. 9 Scholly players as of today. Already seen that movie.

I just don’t have any confidence in him anymore. Bash away. Last two years killed anything I had left for him.

I voted Championship after a 9-16 season and a loss to 15 seeded Peacocks. Anything less than that it’s a total failure and it’s time to negotiate that buyout because the 🔥 is going to be so bad from not just the AD but the FANS!

Reactions: RunninRichie
Replacing 2016-2022 Cal, no big deal. He’s been terrible overall.
Has it really been terrible? The 9 win season I give ya but the rest have been good teams. Every great coach has their down seasons except for Wooden, who never seem to be down after he started winning. I would give Calipari at least one more chance.

Has it really been terrible? The 9 win season I give ya but the rest have been good teams. Every great coach has their down seasons except for Wooden, who never seem to be down after he started winning. I would give Calipari at least one more chance.
Last 5 equal to Tubby’s last 5, last 2 equal to BCG’s. Yes, it’s been bad.

It doesn’t matter. He is not quitting and he has a 9,000,000 contract. I doubt our AD cares

Reactions: Fox2monk
This is his last chance. Before this year I was ready to give Cal two shots to win the title. Last year looked really good until it didn’t.

Last chance to prove he can keep up as most of the old guard with him has moved on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT