ADVERTISEMENT

When do you really start to feel that football season is getting close?

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
For me, it's always been after the 4th of July.

After the Fourth, you start seeing the back to school sales popping up. Stores begin scaling back their outside lawn garden departments significantly.

SEC Media Days are the following week.

Getting close now.

Reactions: LordEgg
Late May, early June when the preseason mags hit the stands. I'd hate to know how much money I've spent on them over the years, from the time I was a kid and Street & Smith's was pretty much the only one doing it, to today where there are several more available.

After the Fourth, you start seeing the back to school sales popping up. Stores begin scaling back their outside lawn garden departments significantly.

Getting close now.
When basketball draft night is over.

Go Big Blue!

Late May, early June when the preseason mags hit the stands. I'd hate to know how much money I've spent on them over the years, from the time I was a kid and Street & Smith's was pretty much the only one doing it, to today where there are several more available.
Yep, specifically Phil Steel's magazine. However, I do believe when the Governor's Cup was game 1 it created an earlier anticipation of the season.

Peace

When the high school teams are out Saturday mornings do field clean ups. Painting bleachers, cutting grass. Etc

Wifey's a teacher, and when she starts getting ready for school to start in August,
I know it's getting close...

SEC Media Days for me. Thats when I see the coaches back to work and they, along with the players publicly talking about the season

When I start looking for Sunday Mashup topics to bring in to discussions throughout the season.

This Summer is flying by. July is almost half gone, and College Football will be on ESPN at the end of next month. California and Hawaii kick it off Aug. 26 on ESPN.

Last edited:
Longtime lurker, this thread got me in the football mindset in the summer doldrums. For me it's when I start seeing the first tobacco cut. Can't beat going for a drive in the country on a Saturday afternoon with the Cats on the radio and the smell of hickory smoke in the air.

A dude not making grades.
A knee injury.
A potential transfer recruit at practice.
An ice ceam truck.
A message board poster predicting 8 wins.
A bar fight.

Reactions: bigbluemist
Used to be for me when NCAA football game hit the shelves. Get the midnight release and then it was football. (Tuesday after July fourth usually)

Getting close now.

When irrational optimism begins to appear in posts.

A dude not making grades.
A knee injury. CHECK (Monty)
A potential transfer recruit at practice. CHECK (steal/theft guy)
An ice ceam truck.
A message board poster predicting 8 wins. CHECK
A bar fight.

@TuckyFB ^

We're getting close... Grades are next.

Getting close now.
When I smell it in the air....

There will be a Sat. when I go to the ymca and next door the youth league will be playing their games. I love to watch those games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT