ADVERTISEMENT

"What's the worst thing that could happen?"

St.PatterSoN-54-

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Made myself watch the media session on Cal's patio after the bracket was announced.

I'm paraphrasing, but he said something like "what are you guys worried about? What's the worst thing that could happen?" ............long pause.............

"Me getting fired? I've been there- I'm not worried about that"

-----------------------

Actually, Cal, we're worried that you'll sh*t the bed in the NCAA tourney, AGAIN. :mad:

I got some bad news for you that no one wants to accept -- even though the evidence is as close as last year's Final Four of FAU, San Diego State, Miami and Connecticut.

In the era of portals, unlimited transfers and a huge influx of semi-professional Europeans and Africans, there are about 40 teams in the tournament capable of playing with any of the other teams and the games will come down to who is hot, who gets a few calls and who is lucky.

In Kentucky's bracket, I've seen experts picking Texas Tech to go to the Final Four, and that is not a crazy pick if you know basketball and look at their roster. The NCAA basketball beat writer for the Athletic picks Marquette to go to the Final Four. Again, not a crazy pick considering their talent. NC State just beat Duke and North Carolina back-to-back. Duke and Wisconsin, Nebraska and Texas A&M and Florida are talented teams. James Madison won 30 games. And Houston has been one of the favorites all year. That's all in the South Region.

I like the Cats ' team and think they have a good shot at a Final Four. But so does Marquette and Houston and Texas Tech and Duke and Wisconsin and even Florida and NC State and Nebraska and Texas A&M. Only one of those teams will emerge. And it didn't mean all the others Sh*t the bed. It likely just means a team got hot at the right time. If you can't accept that the tournament is wide open these days, you are better off not watching.

Last edited:
I got some bad news for you that no one wants to accept -- even though the evidence is as close as last year's Final Four of FAU, San Diego State, Miami and Connecticut.

In the era of portals, unlimited transfers and a huge influx of semi-professional Europeans and Africans, there are about 40 teams in the tournament capable of playing with any of the other teams and the games will come down to who is hot, who gets a few calls and who is lucky.

In Kentucky's bracket, I've seen experts picking Texas Tech to go to the Final Four, and that is not a crazy pick if you know basketball and look at their roster. The NCAA basketball beat writer for the Athletic picks Marquette to go to the Final Four. Again, not a crazy pick considering their talent. NC State just beat Duke and North Carolina back-to-back. Duke and Wisconsin, Nebraska and Texas A&M and Florida are talented teams. James Madison won 30 games. And Houston has been one of the favorites all year. That's all in the South Region.

I like the Cats ' team and think they have a good shot at a Final Four. But so does Marquette and Houston and Texas Tech and Duke and Wisconsin and even Florida and NC State and Nebraska and Texas A&M. Only one of those teams will emerge. And it didn't mean all the others Sh*t the bed. It likely just means a team got hot at the right time. If you can't accept that the tournament is wide open these days, you are better off not watching.
This is the truth. The margin between the upper class and the rest has really shrunk in recent years because of the reasons you mentioned. There are 6 teams in from the Mountain West. I sit there every year and watch us struggle against these no name teams and think, wait we're UK and we're supposed to destroy these guys but then I watch and think, you know theres really not that much difference in our talent and theirs on the court.

Thats why you'll see us play games down to the wire over and over in conference and out any more. Ive said it before but this is the age of coaching now and teams with game changers on the bench will start getting the edge because the talent level on the floor is just too close together any more.

Made myself watch the media session on Cal's patio after the bracket was announced.

I'm paraphrasing, but he said something like "what are you guys worried about? What's the worst thing that could happen?" ............long pause.............

-----------------------

Actually, Cal, we're worried that you'll sh*t the bed in the NCAA tourney, AGAIN. :mad:
I could be wrong but didn’t he also say the players aren’t watching film and just focusing on themselves

Puckered Ass Syndrome

pMEyYJc.png

This is why coaching matters and where we fall extremely short. Of all the teams you mentioned only 1 has a roster that will have 6-8 players that will play professionally in the NBA so the talent is there, albeit mostly young. We also have one of the semi-pro Europeans on our team this year and cal doesn’t have a clue on how to utilize him most effectively. Square peg round hole which we have seen many times over the years. We will prepare ourselves to play but our opponents will prepare themselves to play us and that is a huge difference and why ultimately we will most likely fall short of reaching our goal. Hope I’m wrong there!!!

I could be wrong but didn’t he also say the players aren’t watching film and just focusing on themselves

If he didn't, it would be a surprise b/c he has said that a ton of times in the past.

This is why coaching matters and where we fall extremely short. Of all the teams you mentioned only 1 has a roster that will have 6-8 players that will play professionally in the NBA so the talent is there, albeit mostly young. We also have one of the semi-pro Europeans on our team this year and cal doesn’t have a clue on how to utilize him most effectively. Square peg round hole which we have seen many times over the years. We will prepare ourselves to play but our opponents will prepare themselves to play us and that is a huge difference and why ultimately we will most likely fall short of reaching our goal. Hope I’m wrong there!!!

Reference my response to Cal saying they aren't watching film and focusing on themselves...

Part of focusing on yourself IS understanding your opponent b/c then you can work on both your weaknesses and strengths regarding the opponent.

This is why coaching matters and where we fall extremely short.
So it was COACHING that made the difference in the region last year that included Scott Drew of Baylor, Tony Bennett of Virginia who both had won national championships, Nate Oats, a hot coach with the team of a lifetime, widely respected Matt McDermott of Creighton and so on? The guy from San Diego State was the best coach in that region?

And the guy from FAU outcoached Tom Izzo, and Matt Painter, and Rick Barnes and John Calipari and Jon Scheyer of Duke and Shaka Smart of Marquette to advance from his region?

Just give it up. 40 teams have the talent to ride a hot hand and some good match-ups to the Final Four. The best coaches in the country didn't stop that last year. And probably won't this year. I started following college basketball in 1966. The NCAA tournament is far, far more of a crap shoot than at any time in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Then why are we paying Cal $8+ million/year????

Why did Cal state for the last month that “This team is built for March”???? Yet NOW he is already making excuses if they lose early????

Wasn’t it Cal that said we “win or learn”???? Well it’s time to put together what they did “learn” those 9 times!!!

Isn’t it Cal that says “This place is not for everyone”, “It’s HARD here”, “We are the Gold Standard”, “We have some dogs”???? So WHY is he WHINING about the fans and media’s expectation for this team to reach a Final 4 at a minimum????

It is PUT UP OR SHUT UP time for Cal!!!!

Last edited:

I agree with most of that. College basketball, in general, is much deeper than it traditionally has been, thanks to the portal, NIL, and the extra Covid year.

While there aren't necessarily any powerhouse teams that are leaps and bounds above the field (like there traditionally has been), the field is much deeper. One could make a case (which I think you did) that 40-45 teams have a legit chance to win four straight and make the FF. We are seeing more and more "upsets" (and I use quotations because it is really only an upset based on seed, not really based upon how good these teams are) each and every year.

However, on the flip side, Cal has to get something done this year. That is the fact of the matter. UK hasn't been a one seed for a decade (since they didn't get one this yr), and 9 yrs since a FF appearance. Also, the last 3 years have been brutal to watch. He has had some of the best talent, albeit young talent, since his tenure began. To only be sitting on one title in his 15th yr is, to be honest, a poor reflection on him.

So it was COACHING that made the difference in the region last year that included Scott Drew of Baylor, Tony Bennett of Virginia who both had won national championships, Nate Oats, a hot coach with the team of a lifetime, widely respected Matt McDermott of Creighton and so on? The guy from San Diego State was the best coach in that region?

And the guy from FAU outcoached Tom Izzo, and Matt Painter, and Rick Barnes and John Calipari and Jon Scheyer of Duke and Shaka Smart of Marquette to advance from his region?

Just give it up. 40 teams have the talent to ride a hot hand and some good match-ups to the Final Four. The best coaches in the country didn't stop that last year. And probably won't this year. I started following college basketball in 1966. The NCAA tournament is far, far more of a crap shoot than at any time in my lifetime.
How many of the 40 teams will have more than 1 or 2 players playing professionally, let alone 75-80% of their entire rotation. Love the excuses you are already making should we lose yet will be one of the first on here to come back here crowing how great of a coaching job cal did if they are the one to emerge from the south 😂.

"We?" I'd bet a paycheck you are paying Calipari exactly as much as I am -- zero.

The people running the program those who are paying for Calipari to be the coach evidently think it's worth it to have a guy at the helm with a brilliant career behind him, who has run a clean program while others from Kansas to UNC to Louisville have fallen into disgrace, and who raises tens of millions of dollars when the people of the state and elsewhere are in need, and is an articulate, creative promoter of Kentucky basketball.
He is PAID to WIN at the HIGHEST level. He has FAILED MISERABLY over the past 4 seasons at doing so.

And “WE” actually contribute to his pay by buying season tickets, paying the K-fund, purchasing UK gear, watching EVERY game which causes the TV. Networks to pay UK the money to pay for his RIDICULOUS contract!!

Now try again!!

How many of the 40 teams will have more than 1 or 2 players playing professionally, let alone 75-80% of their entire rotation. Love the excuses you are already making should we lose yet will be one of the first on here to come back here crowing how great of a coaching job cal did if they are the one to emerge from the south 😂.
Eh.. I have always hated that argument. While Cal chooses to recruit that way, his teams are loaded with super talented 18 yr olds who have never played college bball before, and are beyond immature.

They typically, especially over the last few yrs, have to play against teams comprised of 22-24 yr old, guys are who physically and mentally mature.

Doesn't matter how many of our guys get drafted, as they are currently no where close to what they would be physically and mentally when they are 22-24 yrs old.

Yes, Cal should have at least one more title, but your argument surrounding NBA players doesn't work, in my opinion.

If coaching doesn’t matter wouldn’t having the best players be the best option.

Can you name 5 rosters with more talent than UK this year?

I get your premise the tournament is wide open and almost anyone after the first game could make a miracle run, but also I think you are downplaying some importance on the coaching.

Playing your best line up the most minutes, motivation is a big part of it, adjustments are a huge part of a final four run, talent is probably at the top, etc. it takes a lot more than just a guy getting hot and a favorable draw.

I have been down on Cal for a long time, but at this point in the year it’s time to just hope for the best, they have enough talent to win it all, but can’t see them winning 6 games in a row without a change in philosophy or a whole whole lot of luck.

Eh.. I have always hated that argument. While Cal chooses to recruit that way, his teams are loaded with super talented 18 yr olds who have never played college bball before, and are beyond immature.

They typically, especially over the last few yrs, have to play against teams comprised of 22-24 yr old, guys are who physically and mentally mature.

Doesn't matter how many of our guys get drafted, as they are currently no where close to what they would be physically and mentally when they are 22-24 yrs old.

Yes, Cal should have at least one more title, but your argument surrounding NBA players doesn't work, in my opinion.
I don’t disagree with you at all and also why I am ready to move on from cal. This is how our team will be every single year. But cal tried the other way too and got beat by St Peters so still coaching does in fact matter. Despite our team being young they are talented. Name a trio of guards in the country you would take over Reed/Rob/Reeves. Our coach plays them together for about 20% of the time. So coaching still matters despite what what the cal nut hugger in this thread is trying to state.

-----------------------

In the KSR Rapid Reaction video I posted, one of the guys that was in the house claims he heard Cal say off camera that if he got fired, he could buy an island. LOL

This is the truth. The margin between the upper class and the rest has really shrunk in recent years because of the reasons you mentioned. There are 6 teams in from the Mountain West. I sit there every year and watch us struggle against these no name teams and think, wait we're UK and we're supposed to destroy these guys but then I watch and think, you know theres really not that much difference in our talent and theirs on the court.

Thats why you'll see us play games down to the wire over and over in conference and out any more. Ive said it before but this is the age of coaching now and teams with game changers on the bench will start getting the edge because the talent level on the floor is just too close together any more.
Then we’re screwed. Our coach just rolls out the balls and says “have fun”.

Man, you just hit the nail on the head!

Kudos to you for being able to make it through that trash. But the worst that could happen is exactly what we’ve been witnessing since 2017.

Cal has turned against the fanbase (all started around the time the whole country went nuts over politics in 2016/2017, had the kneeling incident etc etc). Pre 2017 he loved us and was one of us. Nothing has been the same since and it’s been the opposite in fact; he loves to take shots at us, loves to talk down to us, doesn’t care about results, tries to prove us wrong all the time, etc etc etc. All the proof is in the pudding with his comments/actions. I get that a lot of you won’t accept it and don’t want to believe it, but it’s what is going on. Don’t underestimate the power of politics, it has caused people to lose their ever loving minds, including our ball coach.

Oh and that’s not even mentioning the drama with his daughters vs. “fans”. I’m sure that didn’t rub him the wrong way at all. Couple that with all the noise and criticism about his coaching and you have a coach who absolutely hates the fans of the team he coaches.

It’s Cal’s fault that we continually have young inexperienced players who have to play against juniors, seniors and fifth-year seniors. He recruits 5* raw talent and plays them mega minutes so he can pad his NBA numbers. He could, instead, focus on retaining players and recruiting from the portal to get more experienced teams. But, he doesn’t, and I cannot excuse him for that.

If he didn't, it would be a surprise b/c he has said that a ton of times in the past.

Reference my response to Cal saying they aren't watching film and focusing on themselves...

Part of focusing on yourself IS understanding your opponent b/c then you can work on both your weaknesses and strengths regarding the opponent.
Right. And if you're prepared for what the other team could throw at you, you would be an even better version of yourself.
His strategy doesn't make sense. That's like saying you are going to take the MCAT exam, but aren't going to study for it because you're just focused on being the smart.
I don't see how as player you wouldn't want to watch film. I'd want to know every play that they run like it was the back of my hand.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
In the KSR Rapid Reaction video I posted, one of the guys that was in the house claims he heard Cal say off camera that if he got fired, he could buy an island. LOL

Cal in no cares mode. He didn't hold much back in talking yesterday. Was quite on the offensive. I will admit I like that Cal. Hope he's agressive for six more games.

In reality, the worst thing that will happen to him is fans will be mad. We could lose by 40 to Oakland and unless Cal walks away voluntarily, he will be sitting in that chair again next year.

I am willing to bet my mortgage and life savings that UK won’t fire Cal for anything basketball-related.

He was inferring that the St Peters loss was the worst thing and he has already experienced that. So he is basically ADMITTING that his “This team is built for March” mantra for the last month is actually just more BS!!!

He sounds like a BITTER old man that is at odds with the very people that have afforded him the opportunity to not only make a TON of money, but coach at the PREMIER program in college basketball!! And we have also been willing to give up A LOT of our program’s “traditions” in exchange for winning at the highest level. And for the last 4 seasons he has FAILED MISERABLY!!! Yet he STILL insists on WHINING about our high expectations of him and his team!!

He is beyond ridiculous!!!

He was inferring that the St Peters loss was the worst thing and he has already experienced that. So he is basically ADMITTING that his “This team is built for March” mantra for the last month is actually just more BS!!!

He sounds like a BITTER old man that is at odds with the very people that have afforded him the opportunity to not only make a TON of money, but coach at the PREMIER program in college basketball!! And we have also been willing to give up A LOT of our program’s “traditions” in exchange for winning at the highest level. And for the last 4 seasons he has FAILED MISERABLY!!! Yet he STILL insists on WHINING about our high expectations of him and his team!!

He is beyond ridiculous!!!
He speaks like a cult leader. Dude is a tumor on this program.

Wow, didn’t realize that it’s all good if we lose again, after all it’s all luck anyway!! Explains why the last few champions have been UCONN and Kansas and 1 seeds, just crazy luck! Can’t control anything in this zany tournament!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT