ADVERTISEMENT

"What's the worst thing that could happen?"

I could be wrong but didn’t he also say the players aren’t watching film and just focusing on themselves

Probably.

I'm not gonna read through this post much, but I bet people are already making excuses for why Cal will lose in the tourney.

Parity
Young team
Hot team
Ran into a buzz saw
Everybody's super bowl
Off night
They were more physical
X Wanted it more

And last but not least during the post game presser, "been saying all year that we can't do X..."

It's never going to be Cal's fault. Too many heads buried up that keester for anyone to smell the turds he lays

I got some bad news for you that no one wants to accept -- even though the evidence is as close as last year's Final Four of FAU, San Diego State, Miami and Connecticut.

In the era of portals, unlimited transfers and a huge influx of semi-professional Europeans and Africans, there are about 40 teams in the tournament capable of playing with any of the other teams and the games will come down to who is hot, who gets a few calls and who is lucky.

In Kentucky's bracket, I've seen experts picking Texas Tech to go to the Final Four, and that is not a crazy pick if you know basketball and look at their roster. The NCAA basketball beat writer for the Athletic picks Marquette to go to the Final Four. Again, not a crazy pick considering their talent. NC State just beat Duke and North Carolina back-to-back. Duke and Wisconsin, Nebraska and Texas A&M and Florida are talented teams. James Madison won 30 games. And Houston has been one of the favorites all year. That's all in the South Region.

I like the Cats ' team and think they have a good shot at a Final Four. But so does Marquette and Houston and Texas Tech and Duke and Wisconsin and even Florida and NC State and Nebraska and Texas A&M. Only one of those teams will emerge. And it didn't mean all the others Sh*t the bed. It likely just means a team got hot at the right time. If you can't accept that the tournament is wide open these days, you are better off not watching.
Wow, making excuses already. We know even you pumpers don't really believe Cal can pull this off. LOL

Made myself watch the media session on Cal's patio after the bracket was announced.

I'm paraphrasing, but he said something like "what are you guys worried about? What's the worst thing that could happen?" ............long pause.............

"Me getting fired? I've been there- I'm not worried about that"

-----------------------

Actually, Cal, we're worried that you'll sh*t the bed in the NCAA tourney, AGAIN. :mad:
He obviously has been to a shrink . That’s one of their lines .

I understand that and agree Cal isn't a good coach. But him saying that is just coaching trying to pump Wagner up. EVERYONE pumps Reed up he doesn't need it but Wagner does. He knows Wagner is struggling .
Yea I agree about the Reed situation but I still remember the way he treated Dontaie Allen after he won us a game. And the way he treated Derek Willis like he was a second class citizen behind Wenyen. Or the way he treated Jemarl Baker after fouling on a three point attempt in the tourney. He had no problem treating these guys like crap because they weren’t the chosen ones.

That's bull crap. The players were exact as all year. We ran into a team that is the best one on one drivers of the basketball in the country. Something we are the worst at. Nothing tight about the performance
Yeah, you weren’t paying attention then. Cal screamed like a mad man practically the whole game. Reed wouldn’t shoot in the 2nd half. Edwards disappeared. Multiple unforced turnovers, missed free throws by players who normally don’t miss. It was not a fluid effort by any means but if you think so good for you.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Eh.. I have always hated that argument. While Cal chooses to recruit that way, his teams are loaded with super talented 18 yr olds who have never played college bball before, and are beyond immature.

They typically, especially over the last few yrs, have to play against teams comprised of 22-24 yr old, guys are who physically and mentally mature.

Doesn't matter how many of our guys get drafted, as they are currently no where close to what they would be physically and mentally when they are 22-24 yrs old.

Yes, Cal should have at least one more title, but your argument surrounding NBA players doesn't work, in my opinion.
Experienced 22/23 year old 3* > 18/19 year old freshmen 5*

I got some bad news for you that no one wants to accept -- even though the evidence is as close as last year's Final Four of FAU, San Diego State, Miami and Connecticut.

In the era of portals, unlimited transfers and a huge influx of semi-professional Europeans and Africans, there are about 40 teams in the tournament capable of playing with any of the other teams and the games will come down to who is hot, who gets a few calls and who is lucky.

In Kentucky's bracket, I've seen experts picking Texas Tech to go to the Final Four, and that is not a crazy pick if you know basketball and look at their roster. The NCAA basketball beat writer for the Athletic picks Marquette to go to the Final Four. Again, not a crazy pick considering their talent. NC State just beat Duke and North Carolina back-to-back. Duke and Wisconsin, Nebraska and Texas A&M and Florida are talented teams. James Madison won 30 games. And Houston has been one of the favorites all year. That's all in the South Region.

I like the Cats ' team and think they have a good shot at a Final Four. But so does Marquette and Houston and Texas Tech and Duke and Wisconsin and even Florida and NC State and Nebraska and Texas A&M. Only one of those teams will emerge. And it didn't mean all the others Sh*t the bed. It likely just means a team got hot at the right time. If you can't accept that the tournament is wide open these days, you are better off not watching.
I understand what you are saying. But if we miss the Final 4 again, we will go at least 10 years between Final Fours. This, after going 13 years between 1998 and 2011.

Never has been, or will be acceptable at Kentucky. Nor should it be.

This quote is why UK must act and soon. Cal doesn’t even care guys. He doesn’t. If he wins, then great. He will be condescending and swaggy and insult the base. If not, then he will remind us of all the stuff he did years ago and remind us he doesn’t worry about the clutter. We have a Jim Boeheim situation on our hands that will only get worse as people allow him to lower standards.

Cal just needs to go. I hope it can be a mutually agreed upon parting but it won’t. He will absolutely be an A$$ and make the divorce as ugly as possible to make us look bad and cause coaches to shy away from the job.

I said before the season he needed to do 1/3… sec reg, sec tourney or final four.

Well, he’s 0/2 and I have little faith he gets us to Phoenix.

I’d love nothing more than to see him become his old self and get driven to win again… but that dude is long, long gone.

He’s a part of the country club (HOF) and has his jacket. He has thrown his feet up and enjoying the $$$ rolling in for all he USED to accomplish.

I see that you're already preparing where you're going to parachute out of the plane when it begins to crash. You are to deflections what John Wooden was to winning titles - you're absolutely the GOAT, man.

Tell me, do those other teams have two top 7 picks and one other guy who is an All-American, with three or four other future pros?

No?

Didn't think so, but deflecting is what you do. It's why no one takes you seriously here anymore. You're far too subjective to be seen as a serious poster. It's funny that you hid for most of the season. I expect you be hiding for most of the summer as well once the plane crashes and after your deflections don't go nearly as far as they used to 7 or 8 years ago with BBN.

I understand what you are saying. But if we miss the Final 4 again, we will go at least 10 years between Final Fours. This, after going 13 years between 1998 and 2011.

Never has been, or will be acceptable at Kentucky. Nor should it be.
It's all good with MDWildcat. He doesn't care that much about losing. To him, UK having the most talent in their region doesn't matter. The tournament is just too random. He has no standard of excellence. UK could literally go another ten years without a Sweet Sixteen, and he'd still be on here spouting off some repetitive drivel about the randomness of the tournament.

Yea I agree about the Reed situation but I still remember the way he treated Dontaie Allen after he won us a game. And the way he treated Derek Willis like he was a second class citizen behind Wenyen. Or the way he treated Jemarl Baker after fouling on a three point attempt in the tourney. He had no problem treating these guys like crap because they weren’t the chosen ones.
Not sure I have ever been as pissed at cal as I was during the Alabama home game during Allen’s 2nd year. Bama came out firing on all cylinders hitting 8-10 from 3 point range. Allen came into play and after a couple of trips down the floor bama hit another 3 on his side of the floor making them 9-11 at that stage. Cal who hadn’t flinched on the first 8 made 3’s lost his freaking mind and damn near yanked Allen off the floor himself as it happened in front of uk’s bench. I have never wanted to jump through a TV and beat the shit out of someone as bad as I did cal at that moment. Not a players coach by any means, he is a “his players coach”. Cant wait until that prick is gone.

Reactions: crestcat
Worst that happens is we get knocked out and UConn, UNC, or Duke wins a title to get closer to us for 2nd most all-time.

I don’t disagree with you at all and also why I am ready to move on from cal. This is how our team will be every single year. But cal tried the other way too and got beat by St Peters so still coaching does in fact matter. Despite our team being young they are talented. Name a trio of guards in the country you would take over Reed/Rob/Reeves. Our coach plays them together for about 20% of the time. So coaching still matters despite what what the cal nut hugger in this thread is trying to state.
My question to people that are upset about one and done is "do you not take those players?" I think the teams that have older players have them because they weren't good enough to go pro so they stayed. Serious question, should we recruit more players that are not the top talent in the hopes that they will be really good in 4 years, or do you continue to recruit the best players? Perhaps so more balance between recruiting high school kids and portal guys? I don't know. But I think tons of teams are in the predicament that if you recruit the best, they are going to leave as soon as they can get drafted. Tyler Herro was a good example, so is Reed. When recruited no one thought they would play well enough to be drafted where they were or will be. Cal gets tons of shit for only playing his top recruits, but both Tyler and Reed debunk that theory I think. They were both probably the lowest rated recruits in their respective classes, but will both be drafted really high because they developed well while at UK to exceed what their rankings were.

Reactions: TexKat
If it’s just about “helping the kids”, why does he only recruit 5 star kids who don’t need his help. They’re going to be millionaires with or without him. He just likes taking credit for what’s already inevitable. He wants us to believe the Dillinghams, Wagners, and Edwards of the world would end up homeless without his intervention.
So are you saying he should recruit worse players?

I would never but more happy to be wrong in my life if we win it all this year. I just don’t get doing the same thing over and over again ( starting the five he does ) and always being down six to ten points while his Two best players are on the bench . Strange way to coach .
I just don’t suffer fools well.
You do realize that we are not always down 6-10 points with this starting lineup don't you. Sure it has happened, but it also happened without this starting lineup. While I see the argument that Reed should start, starting Rob would likely limit his minutes even more due to his propensity to foul. Letting him observe the flow of the game and how the whistle is being blown is good for a player like him.

My question to people that are upset about one and done is "do you not take those players?" I think the teams that have older players have them because they weren't good enough to go pro so they stayed. Serious question, should we recruit more players that are not the top talent in the hopes that they will be really good in 4 years, or do you continue to recruit the best players? Perhaps so more balance between recruiting high school kids and portal guys? I don't know. But I think tons of teams are in the predicament that if you recruit the best, they are going to leave as soon as they can get drafted. Tyler Herro was a good example, so is Reed. When recruited no one thought they would play well enough to be drafted where they were or will be. Cal gets tons of shit for only playing his top recruits, but both Tyler and Reed debunk that theory I think. They were both probably the lowest rated recruits in their respective classes, but will both be drafted really high because they developed well while at UK to exceed what their rankings were.
Get 1 or 2 per class but the rest of the roster needs to be built with returnees and a couple of guys from the portal in an area of need. Those 1 or 2 per class also aren’t starting with a leg up. If they are good enough they won’t need it. The 1 or 2 you do go after need to be good all around players or at least really good at their position. No guards or wings who struggle shooting. No centers that need a good 40-50 lbs to be close to effective or have zero offensive ability. Build a team that the pieces fit together instead of getting a grab bag and figuring out from there. This years team goes together well as we have all the pieces, they just aren’t fine tuned to where they need to be. This year is an anomaly, not the norm of late.

He is literally saying that he doesn't care about whether he gets fired, or what the fans think. And now I'm thinking that he has been told what the minimum expectations are for the NCAA tournament. He's the kind of person who doesn't need the money AT ALL and is now at the point that he's going after the people who CAN do something about him.
That is not what he is saying. He is saying "you have to stay loose and not worry about negative possibilities, because that drags you down." I always gave my kids the same advice, "what is the worst that can happen" go have fun and try your best, but don't jump off a bridge if things don't work out the way you planned. Do focus solely on the potential negative outcome before the contest even happens is a recipte for failure.

He treated Derek Willis tough to teach him, and he learned. Baker and Allen both sucked, and ended up sucking everywhere they played.

Yeah, you weren’t paying attention then. Cal screamed like a mad man practically the whole game. Reed wouldn’t shoot in the 2nd half. Edwards disappeared. Multiple unforced turnovers, missed free throws by players who normally don’t miss. It was not a fluid effort by any means but if you think so good for you.
Do you think Reed didn't shoot because he was afraid Cal would be mad? He yells at him for not shooting.

Not sure I have ever been as pissed at cal as I was during the Alabama home game during Allen’s 2nd year. Bama came out firing on all cylinders hitting 8-10 from 3 point range. Allen came into play and after a couple of trips down the floor bama hit another 3 on his side of the floor making them 9-11 at that stage. Cal who hadn’t flinched on the first 8 made 3’s lost his freaking mind and damn near yanked Allen off the floor himself as it happened in front of uk’s bench. I have never wanted to jump through a TV and beat the shit out of someone as bad as I did cal at that moment. Not a players coach by any means, he is a “his players coach”. Cant wait until that prick is gone.
Your not really saying that Allen should have played more here are you? He wasn't very good.

Do you think Reed didn't shoot because he was afraid Cal would be mad? He yells at him for not shooting.
Never said that. I said the team played tight and that was an example. My reply was to another poster who commented on a post of mine so not sure you really had a clue why I even stated what I did.

So it was COACHING that made the difference in the region last year that included Scott Drew of Baylor, Tony Bennett of Virginia who both had won national championships, Nate Oats, a hot coach with the team of a lifetime, widely respected Matt McDermott of Creighton and so on? The guy from San Diego State was the best coach in that region?

And the guy from FAU outcoached Tom Izzo, and Matt Painter, and Rick Barnes and John Calipari and Jon Scheyer of Duke and Shaka Smart of Marquette to advance from his region?

Just give it up. 40 teams have the talent to ride a hot hand and some good match-ups to the Final Four. The best coaches in the country didn't stop that last year. And probably won't this year. I started following college basketball in 1966. The NCAA tournament is far, far more of a crap shoot than at any time in my lifetime.
It’s actually Greg McDermott that coaches Creighton. San Diego state’s coach Brian Dutcher has done pretty good when you look at his time as the head coach there. The Covid season they had a 30-2 record. He’s only been a head coach for 7 years and is one win away from matching total tournament wins with McDermott, who has been a head coach since the 90s.

It’s always been hard to win the tournament. Other than last season, 2011 was the last time two programs that weren’t in the power 5 conferences made it to the final four. You remember who their coaches were? Shaka Smart and Brad Stephens. Florida Atlantics coach is going to end up with a much bigger job soon. Let’s give credit where it’s due, he did a hell of a job last season.

Part of judging a head coach is regular season and tournament success. It’s always been that way and always will be. Cal hasn’t done a very good job recently, and that’s a fair criticism. You did make some good points, but I think you went about it wrong. To summarize what I would hope you meant was theirs a lot of good coaches out there and if you have an off night you’ll get your butt kicked. With this team Cal has a good opportunity to change that though. This team has the talent to win it this year and I hope that happens because our fanbase and program needs this.

Cal in no cares mode. He didn't hold much back in talking yesterday. Was quite on the offensive. I will admit I like that Cal. Hope he's agressive for six more games.
Yeah no cares in some regards, no cares in coaching will lead to another early exit. He won’t care who plays as long as he “doesn’t take their heart.” As long as they have 5 stars by their name. Joey Hart must not have a heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: NociHTTP
This quote is why UK must act and soon. Cal doesn’t even care guys. He doesn’t. If he wins, then great. He will be condescending and swaggy and insult the base. If not, then he will remind us of all the stuff he did years ago and remind us he doesn’t worry about the clutter. We have a Jim Boeheim situation on our hands that will only get worse as people allow him to lower standards.

Cal just needs to go. I hope it can be a mutually agreed upon parting but it won’t. He will absolutely be an A$$ and make the divorce as ugly as possible to make us look bad and cause coaches to shy away from the job.

I said before the season he needed to do 1/3… sec reg, sec tourney or final four.

Well, he’s 0/2 and I have little faith he gets us to Phoenix.

I’d love nothing more than to see him become his old self and get driven to win again… but that dude is long, long gone.

He’s a part of the country club (HOF) and has his jacket. He has thrown his feet up and enjoying the $$$ rolling in for all he USED to accomplish.
Cal is absolutely not getting us to Phoenix. His players might, in spite of his dumb self.

I think to some degree they know Cal will do what he can to protect their draft status above any goals for the college basketball program he's supposed to coach.
That’s one thing that is hard to argue against. While most coaches, especially those who want to keep their job will do anything they can to win. Cal is the only major coach I can think of who will limit team success to protect kids who were on the draft boards. Especially the 5 stars he had lineup up for the next year. It’s easy to see.

Reactions: know1
Probably.

I'm not gonna read through this post much, but I bet people are already making excuses for why Cal will lose in the tourney.

Parity
Young team
Hot team
Ran into a buzz saw
Everybody's super bowl
Off night
They were more physical
X Wanted it more

And last but not least during the post game presser, "been saying all year that we can't do X..."

It's never going to be Cal's fault. Too many heads buried up that keester for anyone to smell the turds he lays
You forgot all the great coaches in his bracket too.

It's all good with MDWildcat. He doesn't care that much about losing. To him, UK having the most talent in their region doesn't matter. The tournament is just too random. He has no standard of excellence. UK could literally go another ten years without a Sweet Sixteen, and he'd still be on here spouting off some repetitive drivel about the randomness of the tournament.
He would be a great Indiana fan.

Dude. Stop commenting on my post when I’m not talking to you. You really aren’t following a damn thing.
When you post, are you talking directly to someone or to the board? If you are talking to only one person, you should use the direct message feature, or at least start your post with their name, like a letter.

Reactions: know1
Puckered Ass Syndrome

pMEyYJc.png
This is fantastic! 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT