ADVERTISEMENT

"What's the worst thing that could happen?"

Well in this case, he's fairly correct in that not much bad can happen to him. He and his family are set for generations to come.

That being said, it's just another in a long line of unfortunate comments that don't speak very well of his dedication to the UK program.

You people will run with anything.

He was asked if he’s nervous.

He said no, what is the worst that could happen.

Funny thing is if he said something like “hell yeah I’m nervous the last two tournaments have been awful and I need this monkey off my back” you all would be up in arms about that too.

Reactions: BBBLazing
He loves to rub it in the fans faces.
images

In reality, the worst thing that will happen to him is fans will be mad. We could lose by 40 to Oakland and unless Cal walks away voluntarily, he will be sitting in that chair again next year.

I am willing to bet my mortgage and life savings that UK won’t fire Cal for anything basketball-related.
Yes, you’re right all he has to do is get another number one recruiting class, and the fans will be worshiping his butt!! 😂🏀

Well in this case, he's fairly correct in that not much bad can happen to him. He and his family are set for generations to come.

That being said, it's just another in a long line of unfortunate comments that don't speak very well of his dedication to the UK program.
He answered the question immediately. He could be fired. As he said at the time: I've been fired. Meaning: it's not bad enough to have a conniption about. Losing isn't enough to have a conniption about. If you burned your toast at breakfast, that was worse than losing any number of basketball games.

He was inferring that the St Peters loss was the worst thing and he has already experienced that. So he is basically ADMITTING that his “This team is built for March” mantra for the last month is actually just more BS!!!

He sounds like a BITTER old man that is at odds with the very people that have afforded him the opportunity to not only make a TON of money, but coach at the PREMIER program in college basketball!! And we have also been willing to give up A LOT of our program’s “traditions” in exchange for winning at the highest level. And for the last 4 seasons he has FAILED MISERABLY!!! Yet he STILL insists on WHINING about our high expectations of him and his team!!

He is beyond ridiculous!!!
I guess it could get worse if he lost as a 1 seed against a 16. But I don’t think he ever has to worry about being a 1 seed again.

I think everyone can agree that Cal is FAR too loose and carefree with his results at UK. Maybe some of that was to motivate the players, maybe some of it was to put a dig in the fanbase.. but when you stop prioritizing your work results, then you're time to go is drawing near.
I think Cal has entered that stage in his life where he gives zero f’s. Good for him, and I hope we all can reach that point lol. The problem is he still has a high profile job, with a million eyes on him. Deep down I wouldn’t be surprised if Cal wishes he was retired, but he still has that ego and a lot of money in front of him.

I think to some degree they know Cal will do what he can to protect their draft status above any goals for the college basketball program he's supposed to coach.
So you're saying there is no synergy between bringing in high level players and the success of the program?

So you're saying there is no synergy between bringing in high level players and the success of the program?
Nope. Didn't say that at all. I have no clue where you would get that from.

The question is why those players would choose KY. And I answered it.

There was nothing at all about the success of the program in that exchange. My guess is you're trying to shift the conversation.

I got some bad news for you that no one wants to accept -- even though the evidence is as close as last year's Final Four of FAU, San Diego State, Miami and Connecticut.

In the era of portals, unlimited transfers and a huge influx of semi-professional Europeans and Africans, there are about 40 teams in the tournament capable of playing with any of the other teams and the games will come down to who is hot, who gets a few calls and who is lucky.

In Kentucky's bracket, I've seen experts picking Texas Tech to go to the Final Four, and that is not a crazy pick if you know basketball and look at their roster. The NCAA basketball beat writer for the Athletic picks Marquette to go to the Final Four. Again, not a crazy pick considering their talent. NC State just beat Duke and North Carolina back-to-back. Duke and Wisconsin, Nebraska and Texas A&M and Florida are talented teams. James Madison won 30 games. And Houston has been one of the favorites all year. That's all in the South Region.

I like the Cats ' team and think they have a good shot at a Final Four. But so does Marquette and Houston and Texas Tech and Duke and Wisconsin and even Florida and NC State and Nebraska and Texas A&M. Only one of those teams will emerge. And it didn't mean all the others Sh*t the bed. It likely just means a team got hot at the right time. If you can't accept that the tournament is wide open these days, you are better off not watching.
And everything you said is cool, however, we cannot continue to be the team that shits the bed for four years in a row. We can't. That is unacceptable. Yes, the tournament is becoming more unpredictable. That is why you win games during the regular season, earn the best seed possible, and ideally do well in the conference tournament. If you do not do either of those things, and then crash and burn in the NCAA tournament, it isn't bad luck -- it's just being bad.

Nope. Didn't say that at all. I have no clue where you would get that from.

The question is why those players would choose KY. And I answered it.

There was nothing at all about the success of the program in that exchange. My guess is you're trying to shift the conversation.

You said "he can to protect their draft status above any goals for the college basketball program he's supposed to coach."

Do you think there is credence to the idea that the catering to high level players, leading to commitment of high level players, satisfies both player and program ambitions?

Reactions: BBBLazing
You people will run with anything.

He was asked if he’s nervous.

He said no, what is the worst that could happen.

Funny thing is if he said something like “hell yeah I’m nervous the last two tournaments have been awful and I need this monkey off my back” you all would be up in arms about that too.
No, I wouldn't. Because if he actually said your hypothetical, it would mean he gave a shit if we lost. But that is something Cal will never utter because it would be admitting he has been crapping the bed and his ego is far too big to admit that.

Reactions: NociHTTP
He is literally saying that he doesn't care about whether he gets fired, or what the fans think. And now I'm thinking that he has been told what the minimum expectations are for the NCAA tournament. He's the kind of person who doesn't need the money AT ALL and is now at the point that he's going after the people who CAN do something about him.

Reactions: know1
He is literally saying that he doesn't care about whether he gets fired, or what the fans think. And now I'm thinking that he has been told what the minimum expectations are for the NCAA tournament. He's the kind of person who doesn't need the money AT ALL and is now at the point that he's going after the people who CAN do something about him.
Literally every coach in America would have the same response as Calipari. All coaches live and die by success of the team. That's how sports work. What he's saying is the worst that can happen is he's fired.

that's it

You said "he can to protect their draft status above any goals for the college basketball program he's supposed to coach."

Do you think there is credence to the idea that the catering to high level players, leading to commitment of high level players, satisfies both player and program ambitions?
I said" they think that... "

And yes, it CAN satisfy both ambitions, but that doesn't mean it does simply on its own.

And again, it was an answer to a question that didn't ask about program ambitions.

I said" they think that... "

And yes, it CAN satisfy both ambitions, but that doesn't mean it does simply on its own.

And again, it was an answer to a question that didn't ask about program ambitions.

But that's the point.

The theory for "players first" is that is that is' also what is best for the program. This is why people who talk about "generational poverty" (a clear dogwhistle to curry political favor) or that Calipari doesn't care about the program are blatantly incorrect. Those two concepts are synergistic.

Now, obviously and arguably, that strategy has not been as successful as it was 2010-2015. That's valid criticism. However, I'd argue the biggest reason for that is actually lack of the elite of the elite level players, which we only had 1-2 of since 2019 where we were getting like 5 a year 2010-2015. This season is the closest we've had to that probably since the 2019 season.

Totally in-game to criticize that strategy, but the people who indicate "Cal doesn't care" or "players don't care", they just want to convey things that way to meet agenda. That's where Calipari is correct.

I got some bad news for you that no one wants to accept -- even though the evidence is as close as last year's Final Four of FAU, San Diego State, Miami and Connecticut.

In the era of portals, unlimited transfers and a huge influx of semi-professional Europeans and Africans, there are about 40 teams in the tournament capable of playing with any of the other teams and the games will come down to who is hot, who gets a few calls and who is lucky.

In Kentucky's bracket, I've seen experts picking Texas Tech to go to the Final Four, and that is not a crazy pick if you know basketball and look at their roster. The NCAA basketball beat writer for the Athletic picks Marquette to go to the Final Four. Again, not a crazy pick considering their talent. NC State just beat Duke and North Carolina back-to-back. Duke and Wisconsin, Nebraska and Texas A&M and Florida are talented teams. James Madison won 30 games. And Houston has been one of the favorites all year. That's all in the South Region.

I like the Cats ' team and think they have a good shot at a Final Four. But so does Marquette and Houston and Texas Tech and Duke and Wisconsin and even Florida and NC State and Nebraska and Texas A&M. Only one of those teams will emerge. And it didn't mean all the others Sh*t the bed. It likely just means a team got hot at the right time. If you can't accept that the tournament is wide open these days, you are better off not watching.
Correct sir. Nice analysis.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
I’m just saying. No need to throw shade my way for telling the apparent truth.

We can be mad online for eternity, but Mitch isn’t going to fire Cal for anything that happens on the basketball court unless it’s consecutive losing seasons, and even then I am not sure he’d be willing to pull the trigger then.

So, I see it as my options are to complain about it redundantly every single day or learn to accept “it is what it is and there’s nothing I can personally do about it,” which is what I’ve done.

Cal is too comfortable in his role, but Mitch isn’t exactly one to drive a hard bargain and the university president likely won’t want to pay the insane buyout unless he can figure out something else on campus to privatize.
I wasn't calling YOU Mitch, I was ACTUALLY just voicing my displeasure with Mitch for giving Cal that HORRENDOUS contract that leaves the program and UK attached at the hip to Cal for it's entirety or if they could somehow buy him out.

And it will take the WHOLE amount of that buyout to get rid of him.

That's why I said "Thanks Mitch". That contract is a Ball and Chain to UK Basketball now. Unless Cal can bring back the old magic from those first 8 seasons, I don't see our program getting better.

SAD

Tmmthe exaggerations were dumb but h9nestly most of what he said is likely more right than wrong.

I don't want Cal here (as he lost it and is no longer an elite coach) but I csn say I always admired how he seems to really care alot about his players.
He cares about his five stars that he made promises to. He can’t take their heart. But he doesn’t have a problem throwing other guys under the bus. For example this year, if a reporter says Reed had a good game Cal will say yea but how about DJ’s good game. He just can’t stand it.

Ask yourself, before this season began, would you be happy with a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament?
It’s been an up and down season, as they always are, but we are ranked higher at the end of the season than we were at the beginning.

This is the truth. The margin between the upper class and the rest has really shrunk in recent years because of the reasons you mentioned. There are 6 teams in from the Mountain West. I sit there every year and watch us struggle against these no name teams and think, wait we're UK and we're supposed to destroy these guys but then I watch and think, you know theres really not that much difference in our talent and theirs on the court.

Thats why you'll see us play games down to the wire over and over in conference and out any more. Ive said it before but this is the age of coaching now and teams with game changers on the bench will start getting the edge because the talent level on the floor is just too close together any more.
People seem unable to accept that there's the tiniest difference in talent, top to bottom, these days. Almost all of these kids are fantastically capable players. For some reason, I've recently gone on a binge of watching really old games. The skill of contemporary players puts older players in the shade. The speed that the current game is played at is staggering compared to the old days. The athleticism. The shooting. And I don't mean 40s and 50s. I mean the 1970s. I suspect some of it is what refs allow, and some of it is the year-round training beginning in high school, and a lot of it is that basketball salaries attract much better athletes. And now NIL is spreading that around. It really is a level playing field. If your expectations and demands are for a return to dominance, you're setting yourself up for a stroke.

Reactions: Soupbean
He cares about his five stars that he made promises to. He can’t take their heart. But he doesn’t have a problem throwing other guys under the bus. For example this year, if a reporter says Reed had a good game Cal will say yea but how about DJ’s good game. He just can’t stand it.
I understand that and agree Cal isn't a good coach. But him saying that is just coaching trying to pump Wagner up. EVERYONE pumps Reed up he doesn't need it but Wagner does. He knows Wagner is struggling .

I just watched about 10 minutes myself before turning it off. His job is to get these kids loose. Is that what he did for the SECT? Never seen a team/coach so uptight!!!!!
That's bull crap. The players were exact as all year. We ran into a team that is the best one on one drivers of the basketball in the country. Something we are the worst at. Nothing tight about the performance

Made myself watch the media session on Cal's patio after the bracket was announced.

I'm paraphrasing, but he said something like "what are you guys worried about? What's the worst thing that could happen?" ............long pause.............

"Me getting fired? I've been there- I'm not worried about that"

-----------------------

Actually, Cal, we're worried that you'll sh*t the bed in the NCAA tourney, AGAIN. :mad:
I am worried that he will not be fired.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT