ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever happened to Gimel Martinez ?

I lost a little respect for Gimel back in the day. I was a student at UK at the same time he was there with Mashburn and the rest. I was in Tolly Ho, pretty late at night, it was packed. I was carrying my tray with a burger on it, but the direction i was going got clogged up with people so I turned around, Gimel was directly behind me and Mash was behind him. in the process of turning around Gimel who was drunk off his ass and waving his arms around, knocked my burger off onto the table next to me, the burger actually survived the fall in tact, but Gimel had to be a Dickhead and pick it up and put it back on my plate then proceed to press his thumb hard down into the middle of it, then drunkenly mumbled something dickheadish. Mashburn just looked at me and shook his head and apologized for his drunk teammate. So in the end I lost respect for Gimel but gained respect for Jamal.

Last edited:
I lost a little respect for Gimel back in the day. I was a student at UK at the same time he was there with Mashburn and the rest. I was in Tolly Ho, pretty late at night, it was packed. I was carrying my tray with a burger on it, but the direction i was going got clogged up with people so I turned around, Gimel was directly behind me and Mas was behind him. in the process of turning around Gimel who was drunk off his ass and waving his arms around, knocked my burger off onto the table next to me, the burger actually survived the fall in tact, but Gimel had to be a Dickhead and pick it up and put it back on my plate then proceed to press his thumb hard down into the middle of it, then drunkenly mumbled something dickheadish. Mashburn just looked at me and shook his head and apologized for his drunk teammate. So in the end I lost respect for Gimel but gained respect for Jamal.
That’s hilarious. Look man, Gimel could put it away, I’m sure he would apologize now if he could. He is actually a super nice guy. Like, super nice, humble, hard working dude. Let’s forgive. Want me to talk to him about this for you?

I lost a little respect for Gimel back in the day. I was a student at UK at the same time he was there with Mashburn and the rest. I was in Tolly Ho, pretty late at night, it was packed. I was carrying my tray with a burger on it, but the direction i was going got clogged up with people so I turned around, Gimel was directly behind me and Mas was behind him. in the process of turning around Gimel who was drunk off his ass and waving his arms around, knocked my burger off onto the table next to me, the burger actually survived the fall in tact, but Gimel had to be a Dickhead and pick it up and put it back on my plate then proceed to press his thumb hard down into the middle of it, then drunkenly mumbled something dickheadish. Mashburn just looked at me and shook his head and apologized for his drunk teammate. So in the end I lost respect for Gimel but gained respect for Jamal.

This makes me cringe. Only because it makes me remember some of the dumb things I did when I pushed the limits when I was younger.

Gimel Martinez - Sales And Marketing Representative - W.H. Humphrey, Inc | LinkedIn

Glad you survived. You still seem rather bitter. Have you considered therapy?

Easily my least liked player in following UK basketball 35 years.

He could not be less aware of his skill set than if he were performing brain surgery with a chain saw.

The misguided three he took against Michigan in the Final 4 was one of the worst shot attempts in UK basketball history.

Reactions: NociHTTP
That’s hilarious. Look man, Gimel could put it away, I’m sure he would apologize now if he could. He is actually a super nice guy. Like, super nice, humble, hard working dude. Let’s forgive. Want me to talk to him about this for you?
Nah, That's OK, was just sharing an anecdote, I'm sure he's grown and matured like the rest of us, 30+ years heals the wound, LOL.

I lost a little respect for Gimel back in the day. I was a student at UK at the same time he was there with Mashburn and the rest. I was in Tolly Ho, pretty late at night, it was packed. I was carrying my tray with a burger on it, but the direction i was going got clogged up with people so I turned around, Gimel was directly behind me and Mash was behind him. in the process of turning around Gimel who was drunk off his ass and waving his arms around, knocked my burger off onto the table next to me, the burger actually survived the fall in tact, but Gimel had to be a Dickhead and pick it up and put it back on my plate then proceed to press his thumb hard down into the middle of it, then drunkenly mumbled something dickheadish. Mashburn just looked at me and shook his head and apologized for his drunk teammate. So in the end I lost respect for Gimel but gained respect for Jamal.
Aww you poor soul..

Nah, That's OK, was just sharing an anecdote, I'm sure he's grown and matured like the rest of us, 30+ years heals the wound, LOL.

Listen, the reconciliation between you and Gimel is internet content gold just waiting to happen. Give the proceeds to the NIL foundation if you don’t want the money. Everybody’s on a super emotional high because of Reed, and there’s not going to be a better time to cash in on this. Could probably get SEC network to do a bit on it. Maybe even Dr Phil. Don’t say No, just think about it.

If you got 4 yrs in at UK without doing something stupid/inappropriate/vile while drunk at Tolly Ho you weren’t having fun.

If you got 4 yrs in at UK without doing something stupid/inappropriate/vile while drunk at Tolly Ho you weren’t having fun.
This all day. You want to talk about doing stupid shit, often, let’s talk Jared Prickett. Love him too though. Or Saul, I watched him pass out at a bar in a restaurant. Everyone has their days. Gimel was a gem!

Reactions: bigbluemagoo
A few years ago he was playing in a rec. basketball league in Columbus. Had a friend who played in that league.
My buddy is 6 foot 7 and could do nothing against him.

3 on 1. Martinez back alone and here's a charge. OHHHHHH. I can't believe that. They can't believe that. Martinez will never take a better charge but it goes the other way.
Cawood in the Duke game.

Gimel Martinez needs his jersey retired and raised to the rafters. Mash said it best when he said, “Gimel is the lifeblood of this team and this program”.

Listen, the reconciliation between you and Gimel is internet content gold just waiting to happen. Give the proceeds to the NIL foundation if you don’t want the money. Everybody’s on a super emotional high because of Reed, and there’s not going to be a better time to cash in on this. Could probably get SEC network to do a bit on it. Maybe even Dr Phil. Don’t say No, just think about it.
I was thinking Jerry Springer.

Then I found out he was deceased.

Bummer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT