ADVERTISEMENT

What would Calipari have done with the Arkansas roster (plus Quaintance) at UK?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Minus Travon Brazile, of course. What would Cal have done with an experienced roster at Kentucky?

C - Quaintance - Aidoo
F - Big Z - Thiero
G - Davis - Knox
G - Wagner - Richmond - Perry
G - Fland - Wagner - Perry

That would have likely been the makeup of the Kentucky roster had Cal stayed.

Not gonna lie. That's a ton of talent. All five starters have draft potential, and Fland, Z, and Quaintance will probably be first round picks.

Thoughts?

Reactions: chroix
Wagner wouldn’t have gotten any better. Fland would have had an off and on ankle injury and never really panned out. Quantenance would have not played and then transferred mid season. Then they’d get it together for a stretch during conference. Earn a bye in the SECT. Drop the first game and then lose as a 5 seed in the second weekend to 12 San Jose State.

Minus Travon Brazile, of course. What would Cal have done with an experienced roster at Kentucky?

C - Quaintance - Aidoo
F - Big Z - Thiero
G - Davis - Knox

Not gonna lie. That's a ton of talent. All five starters have draft potential, and Fland, Z, and Quaintance will probably be first round picks.

Thoughts?
10 losses, 3rd in the SEC and a round of 32 finish.

Reactions: TM2013 and chroix

C - Quaintance - Aidoo
F - Big Z - Thiero
G - Davis - Knox

Thoughts?
What about Cyril

Reactions: Fox2monk
Would of been another 10 loss season, no wins in the SEC or ncaa tournament and beat no one of significance.

Been a lot of bickering and fighting on the boards with 95% of the fanbase wanting him gone and the 5% delusional cal fans pointing out what a wonderful roster we would have for the next season.

Rinse repeat

So glad he's gone

I would be somewhat worried going into next season with that roster and Cal as the coach

Hmmm, are we just gonna ignore your posting history about Calipari? You were attacking posters for saying this exact type of stuff up until the day he left. It’s fine, just wondering if you did so much as offered an apology of any kind before you pretended it didn’t happen?

Appreciate the response I’ll throw you a like.

Calipari would have done the exact same thing he always does. That team is still young and lacks outside shooting. He is still one of the worst floor coaches in the SEC. He has a terrible coaching staff and that wouldn’t have changed either. Chin is terrible, Payne is terrible, and Orlando is nothing but a recruiter because recruiting is all Calipari cares about.

You’d be looking at a 4-8 seed and a 1st or second round exit more then likely.

Hmmm, are we just gonna ignore your posting history about Calipari? You were attacking posters for saying this exact type of stuff up until the day he left. It’s fine, just wondering if you did so much as offered an apology of any kind before you pretended it didn’t happen?

Appreciate the response I’ll throw you a like.
John Calipari is no longer the coach at Kentucky and that’s as far as my support goes.
My allegiance is to this team and whomever is associated with it. Don’t expect any apology for an opinion different than yours. I’m not that kind of guy.

Reactions: JimBR
John Calipari is no longer the coach at Kentucky and that’s as far as my support goes.
My allegiance is to this team and whomever is associated with it. Don’t expect any apology for an opinion different than yours. I’m not that kind of guy.

Well that’s fine I have pride issues at times myself. I guess you’re admitting you were just being a fan and lying about your position about him? I’m just saying you used to really attack people for saying exactly what you’re saying now. It’s just kind of odd or, hypocritical, I suppose.

I’m a fan myself however he was detrimental to the program so why would I support a guy that was detrimental to my program? To me anyway, I don’t put loyalty to a coach ahead of the program. If they’re good for Kentucky I’m in, if they’re not I’m out. Never understood the concept of supporting bad coaches that don’t put Kentucky in the best place to win. Going on the attack then Flip flopping is kind of my pet peeve that’s the only reason I ask. No big deal. I promised a like and you shall receive.

• Love
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
o-my-god-who-the-hell-cares.gif

A bunch of guards/wings that can’t shoot and big men who want to be guards and refuse to bang down low.

Would have been another first round flameout most likely.

Note: I don’t think Cal goes after Aidoo, in that scenario. Cyril would have been our backup 5, IMHO.

At UK? Finish getting run outta town.....
At ARK he will have to stroke his ego enough to say I told you so to the UK fans to half ass try.... and it'll at least be a acceptable season by ARK standards. Not looking for them to be world beaters though. Like here the idiot will still play players at the wrong position (cough Knox)

The bad thing is ARK fans think they are getting 09-17 Cal. 🙄 Fact is 85% of our fan base would've traded Cal for a Drumstick ice cream cone and felt like they got a good deal .....

No Once in a lifetime players like Wall, KAT or Davis I'd say ceiling is sweet 16. Head scratching losses to a couple nobody's. Easily 10 plus losses as Wagner, Richmond and Knox will shoot them out of games. Short bench and you know he will have a couple weeks in the season with 2 players injured. Play Wagner or Boogie over Davis and probably piss him off cause strife in locker room. Gotta make sure Wagner goes pro. Z and Thiero could be used wrong again and we're is there inside game? Same ol same ol more likely 10 losses maybe a SEC T win and a NCAA T win but I wouldn't bet on much more. Like someone else said possible the worst staff he's ever had on top of that. It might all click in a few games but it'll be about like the last 5 years.

Thiero could be used wrong again
That's what I didn't understand, Thiero and Z both could make a pretty strong case they both were twords the top of the list of most misused players of the year across D1..... Not only 1 but both of the followed that clown. I can see DJ following Cal because he's shown he will play you over better options, the recruits I understand because it's likely they were here at least partly if not mostly due to Cal..... but thiero's back injury must've been connected to his though processes.

Z just doesn't want to let Cal down kinda deal I think he probably would've been a lot better off here. but thiero has been there done that had a good opportunity at UNC, or Pitt and went to jacka** University to be treated the same as the last couple years expecting change.

Cal will continue to play AT the same exact way he did here, and if he plays Z it'll be in a low post, back to the basket like he made all the lanky athletic non traditional post bigs that we've had here over the years do and he will get bullied. Can you imagine Z trying to low block it with Williams? Imagine if he ever had to deal with a KAT, Boogie or someone like that with a big strong body. Cal will do it wait and see he will take everything the kid does well and try to make him do the thing he's not good at.....

That's what I didn't understand, Thiero and Z both could make a pretty strong case they both were twords the top of the list of most misused players of the year across D1..... Not only 1 but both of the followed that clown. I can see DJ following Cal because he's shown he will play you over better options, the recruits I understand because it's likely they were here at least partly if not mostly due to Cal..... but thiero's back injury must've been connected to his though processes.

Z just doesn't want to let Cal down kinda deal I think he probably would've been a lot better off here. but thiero has been there done that had a good opportunity at UNC, or Pitt and went to jacka** University to be treated the same as the last couple years expecting change.

Cal will continue to play AT the same exact way he did here, and if he plays Z it'll be in a low post, back to the basket like he made all the lanky athletic non traditional post bigs that we've had here over the years do and he will get bullied. Can you imagine Z trying to low block it with Williams? Imagine if he ever had to deal with a KAT, Boogie or someone like that with a big strong body. Cal will do it wait and see he will take everything the kid does well and try to make him do the thing he's not good at.....
I really think Thiero only went to Ark because of money. No other reason to follow the coach who misused you and played others over you who didn't deserve it.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
You guys are the ones who wanted Cal gone and now that he's gone you can't shut up about him but you expect people not to suspect that's because somewhere within you you know you were better off with him in Lexington than you are now with him in Fayetteville.
Ha!
Puff puff pass.

A bunch of guards/wings that can’t shoot and big men who want to be guards and refuse to bang down low.

Would have been another first round flameout most likely.

Note: I don’t think Cal goes after Aidoo, in that scenario. Cyril would have been our backup 5, IMHO.
Davis is a 40+% three point shooter. Fland will probably shoot somewhere North of 35%. He was a good shooter in high school. Knox is decent. Richmond and Wagner, not so much. Z obviously can shoot the ball if Cal utilizes him well.

Also, I think Cyril would have cut bait and run regardless. He wasn't expecting Big Z to come back. Brazile basically replaced Quaintance, not Cyril. Aidoo is probably still on the table if Cal returned to UK.

I really think Thiero only went to Ark because of money. No other reason to follow the coach who misused you and played others over you who didn't deserve it.
It's a shame, too. Two guys who I think Pope could have really utilized properly were Thiero and Big Z. Put them on this current UK team, and that's an additional 2 or 3 wins for Pope. Hopefully Carr and Oweh give us more of the same in terms of what those two would have offered us.

Calipari would have done the exact same thing he always does. That team is still young and lacks outside shooting. He is still one of the worst floor coaches in the SEC. He has a terrible coaching staff and that wouldn’t have changed either. Chin is terrible, Payne is terrible, and Orlando is nothing but a recruiter because recruiting is all Calipari cares about.

You’d be looking at a 4-8 seed and a 1st or second round exit more then likely.
He wouldn’t even have Orlando to help, I mean here he would have but he lost his best hire in a decade after one year as well.

Overall talent ranking of the two rosters:
#1. Davis - Arkansas
#2. Fland - Arkansas
#3. Robinson - Kentucky
#4. Big Z - Arkansas
#5. Oweh - Kentucky
#6. Carr - Kentucky
#7. Brea - Kentucky
#8. Wagner - Arkansas
#9. Garrison - Kentucky (high potential to move up)
#10. Williams - Kentucky
#11. Aidoo - Arkansas
#12. Kriisa - Kentucky
#13. Knox - Arkansas
#14. Thiero- Arkansas (high potential to move up)
#15. Butler - Kentucky
#16. Brazile - Arkansas (high potential to move up)
#17. Chandler - Kentucky (high potential to move up)
#18. Richmond - Arkansas (high potential to move up)
#19. Almonor - Kentucky
#20. Perry - Kentucky (high potential to move up)
#21. Noah - Kentucky (high potential to move up)

Well that’s fine I have pride issues at times myself. I guess you’re admitting you were just being a fan and lying about your position about him? I’m just saying you used to really attack people for saying exactly what you’re saying now. It’s just kind of odd or, hypocritical, I suppose.

I’m a fan myself however he was detrimental to the program so why would I support a guy that was detrimental to my program? To me anyway, I don’t put loyalty to a coach ahead of the program. If they’re good for Kentucky I’m in, if they’re not I’m out. Never understood the concept of supporting bad coaches that don’t put Kentucky in the best place to win. Going on the attack then Flip flopping is kind of my pet peeve that’s the only reason I ask. No big deal. I promised a like and you shall receive.
It’s not pride, it’s discretion. Cal did a lot of great things for this program and represented the state with dignity on and off the court. When the losses became unacceptable, the hatred and vitriol written about him right on this forum was embarrassing.
I did not join in the posts degrading our coach, his character, his family or his legacy here at UK.
I was as dissatisfied with losing as anyone here, but decided to stay on the high road with regard to attacking our coach’s character.
I’m glad he is in Arkansas and we have Mark Pope and if 5 years from now, you and others and attacking him and his family for basketball losses, I’ll do the same thing again

#1. Davis - Arkansas
#2. Fland - Arkansas
#3. Robinson - Kentucky
#4. Big Z - Arkansas
#5. Oweh - Kentucky
#6. Carr - Kentucky
#7. Brea - Kentucky
#8. Wagner - Arkansas
#10. Williams - Kentucky
#11. Aidoo - Arkansas
#12. Kriisa - Kentucky
#13. Knox - Arkansas
#15. Butler - Kentucky
#19. Almonor - Kentucky
According to whom? I don't really see it this way.
I guess we will eventually play games and find out.

C - Quaintance - Aidoo
F - Big Z - Thiero
G - Davis - Knox

Thoughts?
I disagree with your estimate of roster

PG .. Wagner with Perry never played
SG… Fland
SF…Richmond snd Knox
PF…I guess Thiero snd Big Z…maybe Burks
C…Somto snd Quantsnce

I could see a lesser wing portal guy to replace Reeves to play with Fland Wagner in backcourt…:and that is about it

no competition at guard to offset Wigner

Richmond and Knox shaky at forwent spots but pretty guaranteed playing time for them

Somto and Quantance guaranteed center minutes

The entirety of success falls on Fland being second coming of Kyrie Irving at guard

Why anyone feels Knox and Richmond have NBA talent….i don’t get it. Knox is a lesser version of his brother who was up and down at UK snd has been a failure in NBA.

Next year would have been another Tubby- ish season

I agree, would have loved Z staying. It seems he could have thrived in Pope’s offense.

It’s not pride, it’s discretion. Cal did a lot of great things for this program and represented the state with dignity on and off the court. When the losses became unacceptable, the hatred and vitriol written about him right on this forum was embarrassing.
I did not join in the posts degrading our coach, his character, his family or his legacy here at UK.
I was as dissatisfied with losing as anyone here, but decided to stay on the high road with regard to attacking our coach’s character.
I’m glad he is in Arkansas and we have Mark Pope and if 5 years from now, you and others and attacking him and his family for basketball losses, I’ll do the same thing again

His daughter is a terrible person though, she’s bad and close to his personality. And Brad, I mean I think we both know why Brad takes the heat. Ellen has never been attacked so that just goes to show people are attacking the right people. Your post is rewriting history as there’s plenty of evidence that shows you didn’t just back him for those reasons. You attacked people around the spectrum for basketball reasons. Now you’re changing positions, and your flip flop correlates to the day he left, you didn’t qualify anything based on basketball or personal attacks. You simply supported Calipari aa our coach until he left, and you went back and forth with anyone who saw earlier what you seem to see now. Let’s not lie, it is what it is no big deal, but no.

We don’t actually have to keep going on and on about it. It’s no big deal I was just curious. You’ve explained yourself, but now we’re beginning to stretch that truth. You’re good.

#1. Davis - Arkansas
#2. Fland - Arkansas
#3. Robinson - Kentucky
#4. Big Z - Arkansas
#5. Oweh - Kentucky
#6. Carr - Kentucky
#7. Brea - Kentucky
#8. Wagner - Arkansas
#10. Williams - Kentucky
#11. Aidoo - Arkansas
#12. Kriisa - Kentucky
#13. Knox - Arkansas
#15. Butler - Kentucky
#19. Almonor - Kentucky

SOS I'd go
1. Davis ark
2. Robinson uk
3. Aidoo ark
4. Garrison UK
5. Williams UK
6. Oweh UK
7. Carr UK
8. Brea UK
9. Big Z ark
10. Butler UK
11. Wagner ark