ADVERTISEMENT

What is happening at Memphis?

I did not know he left WKU and had to research it.

He resigned from WKU on 3/11/23. Stansbury added, "This past season has been a challenging one, and I need some time to step away from things and focus on my health and my family. This is a very difficult decision but the right one."

He was hired at Memphis on 4/28/23.
He always struck me as a dirtbag. That seems to confirm it.

Reactions: Blue-ish
This is a bit confusing to me. What exactly
do you mean the history of the program? Other than a few years under Cowl that school has repeatedly sucked year after year.
They were good back in the day long before cal. Went to the 85 or 86 final four w/ a dude named keith lee who was probably first team all-american. They were one of the elite teams for the entire 4 yrs. Lee was there, for sure, and had some excellent teams other than his.

I did not know he left WKU and had to research it.

He resigned from WKU on 3/11/23. Stansbury added, "This past season has been a challenging one, and I need some time to step away from things and focus on my health and my family. This is a very difficult decision but the right one."

He was hired at Memphis on 4/28/23.

WKU let Rick resign rather than fire him. As a WKU alum I liked the talent Rick got but he kept falling short in the CUSA tournament final time and time again and is the only WKU coach to my knowledge never to make the NCAAs. The collapse in 2021 in the final vs North Texas was terrible. It was time for him to go and he knew it. And the next coach WKU hired after him made the tournament in 1 year and just bounced for Oklahoma State.

Reactions: Blue-ish
They were good back in the day long before cal. Went to the 85 or 86 final four w/ a dude named keith lee who was probably first team all-american. They were one of the elite teams for the entire 4 yrs. Lee was there, for sure, and had some excellent teams other than his.
I wasn’t busting your chops but if a storied program is qualified after 4 years then…… not sure what to say. They had a time in the 80s but other than that they sucked worse than IU.

do you mean the history of the program? Other than a few years under Cowl that school has repeatedly sucked year after year.

I wasn’t busting your chops but if a storied program is qualified after 4 years then…… not sure what to say. They had a time in the 80s but other than that they sucked worse than IU.

By history of the program, I was just meaning something similar to the other reply...to me, "storied program" = blueblood type history, so I wouldn't call Memphis's history of success anything close to that, but I was just meaning they've had some success in the past.

Mostly, I was just saying the coaches went there expecting more than they got... just so I could set up an intentionally bad "dad joke"

Reactions: YardCat and chroix
Penny is the Deion of basketball. Both insufferable blowhards that will be jobless next year.

Reactions: KFuqua
I remember Memphis and Penny being a big deal with James Wiseman and DJ Jeffries there for a couple years and then they fell back off of the face of the earth. Remember being really disappointed with Wiseman committing to them because he was going to get us back to the top. Think he ended playing like 5 games and was a bust in the NBA?

Reactions: chroix
I remember Memphis and Penny being a big deal with James Wiseman and DJ Jeffries there for a couple years and then they fell back off of the face of the earth. Remember being really disappointed with Wiseman committing to them because he was going to get us back to the top. Think he ended playing like 5 games and was a bust in the NBA?

That’s right. I thought it was Jeffries but Wiseman was supposed to be the prized recruit. Not gonna miss the sugar high of chasing those kinds of kids and hoping and praying their the solution to fix the recurring issues.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I'm not saying they're a "storied" program...just that cal wasn't the one who brought them their first taste of success. They were good in the 70's/80's time-frame, and excellent for half a decade or so...

With it being legal to pay players now (NIL). For the NCAA to sanction anyone now, their Memphis cheating must have been off the charts. If there was a level worse than Level 1 violations. This is probably what Memphis did. I love seeing cocky little slimeballs like Penny Hardaway get busted.

I wonder if Penny has ever thought about living in Bloomington Indiana. I’d be willing to write him a personal letter of recommendation if he wants to move to Bloomington next.

I’ll be suprised if Penny survives this season. This appears to have all the makings of a complete failure.

I bet the timing of the firings have nothing to do with this letter lol….
Penny did this as a defense. He has guys ready to fill in the assistants positions already. I look for him to have staff filled by next week. They won’t miss a beat going 20-12 again this year.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Not true. Memphis when they was still known as Memphis State had several stout years when Dana Kirk was coach there. Made the Sweet 16 or further 4 years in a row, and in 85 made the Final 4 losing to eventual champ Villanova in Rupp. Guys like William Bedford, Vincent Askew, Keith Lee, Andre Turner, Sylvester Gray, Baskerville Holmes, Elliot Perry made Memphis State a very formidable team all throughout the 80's into the 90's. Players like Lorenzen Wright and Hardaway kept Memphis winning.
What is really great and we talk about KY boys playing for UK, the 84-85 team all but 1 of the 12 players was from Memphis or Shelby County.
Made the NCAA tournament 7 times in the 80's
81-82 - (24-5) At one point was ranked #1 in both polls in the 82 season (Keith Lee team) Finished ranked #9
82-83 - (23-8) Beat Georgetown and Patrick Ewing in the tournament, then lost to #1 Houston and Phi Slamma Jamma led by Hakeem Olajuwon. finished 17th ranked in the final poll
83-84 - (26-7) - Lost to Houston in Sweet 16. 16th rank in the final poll.
84-85 - (31-4) - Lost in the Final 4 to Nova in Rupp. 5th in final poll.
85-86 - (28-6) - Lost to LSU on a buzzer beater with the famous clip of Dale Brown running around after the buzzer sounded. Finished 12th in the final poll.
86-87 - (26-8) Larry Finch's first year as coach. beat Louisville by 23 in the finals of the Metro Conf. tournament.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Glad to see Penny getting more heat from the NCAA. One of those assistants may need to stick around close to Memphis, Penny's days could be numbered. I wonder which assistant he will blame for paying the players in 2020 and 2022 ?

Not true. Memphis when they was still known as Memphis State had several stout years when Dana Kirk was coach there. Made the Sweet 16 or further 4 years in a row, and in 85 made the Final 4 losing to eventual champ Villanova in Rupp. Guys like William Bedford, Vincent Askew, Keith Lee, Andre Turner, Sylvester Gray, Baskerville Holmes, Elliot Perry made Memphis State a very formidable team all throughout the 80's into the 90's. Players like Lorenzen Wright and Hardaway kept Memphis winning.
What is really great and we talk about KY boys playing for UK, the 84-85 team all but 1 of the 12 players was from Memphis or Shelby County.
Made the NCAA tournament 7 times in the 80's
81-82 - (24-5) At one point was ranked #1 in both polls in the 82 season (Keith Lee team) Finished ranked #9
82-83 - (23-8) Beat Georgetown and Patrick Ewing in the tournament, then lost to #1 Houston and Phi Slamma Jamma led by Hakeem Olajuwon. finished 17th ranked in the final poll
83-84 - (26-7) - Lost to Houston in Sweet 16. 16th rank in the final poll.
84-85 - (31-4) - Lost in the Final 4 to Nova in Rupp. 5th in final poll.
85-86 - (28-6) - Lost to LSU on a buzzer beater with the famous clip of Dale Brown running around after the buzzer sounded. Finished 12th in the final poll.
86-87 - (26-8) Larry Finch's first year as coach. beat Louisville by 23 in the finals of the Metro Conf. tournament.
Again though, you’re referring to winning over 35+ years ago. If you think any player now days would ever pick a program because they won 40 years ago without NIL your insane. No kid would ever say well I’m going to a storied program that won 40 years ago and pick a hat. I appreciate the stats you provided, and honestly they win more than I thought, but their program being storied with winning is crazy talk in the modern day.

You all are just jealous of Penny

penny remembers GIF

• Haha
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Again though, you’re referring to winning over 35+ years ago. If you think any player now days would ever pick a program because they won 40 years ago without NIL your insane. No kid would ever say well I’m going to a storied program that won 40 years ago and pick a hat. I appreciate the stats you provided, and honestly they win more than I thought, but their program being storied with winning is crazy talk in the modern day.
Well I simply pointed that your statement "other than a few years under CAL", not Cowl, was not true. I never mentioned anything about NIL now, I simply stated Memphis was relevant before Cal, and they where. Not once was the discussion about signing players today. For the record, I can't stand Hardaway, and if it was some ordinary coach and not the cities "greatest son", he would have been fired BEFORE this latest scandal.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
Well I simply pointed that your statement "other than a few years under CAL", not Cowl, was not true. I never mentioned anything about NIL now, I simply stated Memphis was relevant before Cal, and they where. Not once was the discussion about signing players today. For the record, I can't stand Hardaway, and if it was some ordinary coach and not the cities "greatest son", he would have been fired BEFORE this latest scandal.
Eh, I still think the 80s was too far away to be relevant but I get it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT