ADVERTISEMENT

What is happening at Memphis?

This is a bit confusing to me. What exactly
do you mean the history of the program? Other than a few years under Cowl that school has repeatedly sucked year after year.
They were good back in the day long before cal. Went to the 85 or 86 final four w/ a dude named keith lee who was probably first team all-american. They were one of the elite teams for the entire 4 yrs. Lee was there, for sure, and had some excellent teams other than his.

I did not know he left WKU and had to research it.

He resigned from WKU on 3/11/23. Stansbury added, "This past season has been a challenging one, and I need some time to step away from things and focus on my health and my family. This is a very difficult decision but the right one."

He was hired at Memphis on 4/28/23.

WKU let Rick resign rather than fire him. As a WKU alum I liked the talent Rick got but he kept falling short in the CUSA tournament final time and time again and is the only WKU coach to my knowledge never to make the NCAAs. The collapse in 2021 in the final vs North Texas was terrible. It was time for him to go and he knew it. And the next coach WKU hired after him made the tournament in 1 year and just bounced for Oklahoma State.

Reactions: Blue-ish
They were good back in the day long before cal. Went to the 85 or 86 final four w/ a dude named keith lee who was probably first team all-american. They were one of the elite teams for the entire 4 yrs. Lee was there, for sure, and had some excellent teams other than his.
I wasn’t busting your chops but if a storied program is qualified after 4 years then…… not sure what to say. They had a time in the 80s but other than that they sucked worse than IU.

This is a bit confusing to me. What exactly
do you mean the history of the program? Other than a few years under Cowl that school has repeatedly sucked year after year.

I wasn’t busting your chops but if a storied program is qualified after 4 years then…… not sure what to say. They had a time in the 80s but other than that they sucked worse than IU.

By history of the program, I was just meaning something similar to the other reply...to me, "storied program" = blueblood type history, so I wouldn't call Memphis's history of success anything close to that, but I was just meaning they've had some success in the past.

Mostly, I was just saying the coaches went there expecting more than they got... just so I could set up an intentionally bad "dad joke"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT