ADVERTISEMENT

Keys to SC game?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
1. Give BV time - SC has some good edge rushers so we have to keep them out of BV's face.
2. Make SC's passing offense beat us. Not convinced their QB is much of a passer and, at least to my eyes, they have fewer game changers on the outside than normal. Spy on the QB and front 7 have to play well. SC's OL played pretty poorly against ODU - they'll come out fired up to prove that was a fluke. Their QB seems very limited in his ability to pass so don't concede easy 5-6 yard throws that allow him to find some rhythm. Make him read the defense and make big-time throws. My guess he's not going to consistently beat us that way.
3. No huge TOs that give them cheap points. I don't think they'll be able to drive consistently against our D and their D is pretty good so a cheap TD or FG could mean a ton in this game.
4. Special teams need to be solid - punting to flip the field, coverage teams, punt/kick return for the Cats to set up a score.
5. They tend to have a bunch of guys who woof all game long - we need to ignore that crap, keep our focus and make the woofers eat their words.
6. Get several 3-and-outs so we can control the ball and wear their D out.

1. Give BV time - SC has some good edge rushers so we have to keep them out of BV's face.
2. Make SC's passing offense beat us. Not convinced their QB is much of a passer and, at least to my eyes, they have fewer game changers on the outside than normal. Spy on the QB and front 7 have to play well. SC's OL played pretty poorly against ODU - they'll come out fired up to prove that was a fluke. Their QB seems very limited in his ability to pass so don't concede easy 5-6 yard throws that allow him to find some rhythm. Make him read the defense and make big-time throws. My guess he's not going to consistently beat us that way.
3. No huge TOs that give them cheap points. I don't think they'll be able to drive consistently against our D and their D is pretty good so a cheap TD or FG could mean a ton in this game.
4. Special teams need to be solid - punting to flip the field, coverage teams, punt/kick return for the Cats to set up a score.
5. They tend to have a bunch of guys who woof all game long - we need to ignore that crap, keep our focus and make the woofers eat their words.
Hell that is pretty much the WHOLE parts of a game. When I think keys to a game, I think of a couple things, not every faucet of the game. We do not have to win EVERY faucet of the game to win, just a few key ones.

Simple. Block, and win the turnover battle. Do those 2 things, UK wins fairly easy. I am concerned with SC's defense getting after BV and cause him to make quick decisions / mistakes.
I would add tackle. They have two good runners in QB and RB

Reactions: satcheluk
I would add tackle. They have two good runners in QB and RB
Not really. Unless you consider 3 yards per carry great (I don't). They as a team rushed 56 times for 174 yards, 3.1 yards per carry. Not great. Especially against a team like ODU. The SC offensive line got pushed around against a Sun Belt cellar dweller.
To further my points :
Sanders - 24 carries / 88 yards / 3.7 per
Sellers (QB) - 22 carries / 68 yards / 3.2 per carry.

Turnovers : Old Dominion 4 (FOUR) South Carolina 1

Old Dominion fumbled twice inside their own 10 yard line and led to the only 2 SC TD's. Also, the QB for ODU threw a interception in the SC endzone. South Carolina even with the two gift TD's and 4 turnovers to 1 margin, still only won 23-19. IF Old Dominion had only fumbled once inside their own 10, they would have won even while losing the turnover margin 3-1. ODU was picked to finish 6th in a 7 team Sun Belt East division. Not exactly a powerhouse.

If UK wins the turnover margin 4-1 against South Carolina, the game will not be close.

Pretty sure you could cut and paste most of these for every game. :)
Having said that, I agree with everything. Their QB can run and he's big, so need to punish him every time by gang tackling and forcing him back into traffic. Also, he has a nice deep ball, so I like our typical deep zone and experienced LBs dropping into underneath passing lanes. I suspect we can easily confuse him by bringing the simulated pressures from different angles. Lastly, make sure the special team guys are ready for shenanigans because I don't think they can beat us without some freaky plays/turnovers.

Hell that is pretty much the WHOLE parts of a game. When I think keys to a game, I think of a couple things, not every faucet of the game. We do not have to win EVERY faucet of the game to win, just a few key ones.
I'm pretty sure every faucet is in the locker room. :)

• Haha
Reactions: The-Hack
I'm pretty sure every faucet is in the locker room. :)

Another Lair classic!!

And the key: limit turnovers. Old Dominion lost by 4 in Columbia, and fumbled twice within their own 10 yard line, spotting the Cocks 10 points.

Old Dominion outgained South Carolina, but was minus 3 on turnovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: satcheluk
Another Lair classic!!

And the key: limit turnovers. Old Dominion lost by 3 in Columbia, and fumbled twice within their own 10 yard line, spotting the Cocks 14 points.
Indeed. I suspect they will play better, but if we both play our A game, we smoke them. The only way we lose is if we lay an egg or -3 TOs/special teams TDs.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT