ADVERTISEMENT

What is happening at Memphis?

Last edited:
Moussa Cisse is the only one of their players we were on at all as far as I can tell. Any point trying to poach something from their class? Assuming Memphis is going to have total mercenaries at this point but…

That’s a real bad look with practices and everything getting underway. I’m guessing either Penny is a complete a-hole to work with, or they know something we don’t and are jumping ship. Either way, this seems like the end for the Penny/Memphis experiment.

fight GIF

I wonder if there was a lot of disagreement between these four coaches, headed by Rick (who through all his faults is a good assistant), and Penny and Penny just showed them the door? Maybe Rick was trying to lead a coup to take over the program? Who knows.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Penny being Penny. He is placing blame and letting the assistants be the fall guys for not making the tournament last year. Penny knows he is on the hot seat and will place blame at the feet of others to save his own ass. Sad part is, Stansbury was the coach who signed MOST of the top recruits Memphis landed this year (including his son Noah). Stansbury is a hell of a recruiter, Penny just couldn't coach them. He was only with Memphis for last year and was responsible for signing most of this years roaster. I would say at minimum, his son leaves, probably more players will follow.

They finally realized that Memphis, other than Beale St., is a sh*thole town to live in.
I beg to differ. I have been here 16 years now and I don't believe you could pry me away. While it gets a bad rap, it is just like any other big city. Just know where NOT to go and you will be fine. Memphis has a lot of good to offer.

Reactions: sk73
I hate kicking anyone when they are down! but.... We could all see this happening after the behavior traits Penny has shown since he started coaching. Just because you played the game doesn't necessarily mean you can coach the game! I think he is a perfect example of this IMO.

Completely bizarre. I’ve heard of head coaches cleaning house like this in early spring right after an awful season, but NEVER in September right before a new season is about to begin.

If he didn’t like his staff, why would he wait this long to fire them? Something really ugly must’ve gone down behind the scenes.

I beg to differ. I have been here 16 years now and I don't believe you could pry me away. While it gets a bad rap, it is just like any other big city. Just know where NOT to go and you will be fine. Memphis has a lot of good to offer.
Some folks seem to believe that any town over like 50,000 is hell on Earth and anything over a a quarter million metro is the Devils anus on fire.

Had family living there over 100 years. Nary a problem.

Appears whole staff leaving. Rick Stansbury leaving? Did know he was there. Lots to be bad if Rick wants out.
I did not know he left WKU and had to research it.

He resigned from WKU on 3/11/23. Stansbury added, "This past season has been a challenging one, and I need some time to step away from things and focus on my health and my family. This is a very difficult decision but the right one."

He was hired at Memphis on 4/28/23.

Some folks seem to believe that any town over like 50,000 is hell on Earth and anything over a a quarter million metro is the Devils anus on fire.
No but there are many other places that are so much better where you can be just about anywhere at anytime without much worry. Why live in a pace where you have to have you head on a swivel 24/7 especially if you go down one wrong street?

I think it's simple...

These guys went to coach there b/c with the history of the program, etc, they thought the program & head coach were worth a dime, but in the end, it was really only a Penny.
This is a bit confusing to me. What exactly
do you mean the history of the program? Other than a few years under Cowl that school has repeatedly sucked year after year.

Reactions: ukfan041
I did not know he left WKU and had to research it.

He resigned from WKU on 3/11/23. Stansbury added, "This past season has been a challenging one, and I need some time to step away from things and focus on my health and my family. This is a very difficult decision but the right one."

He was hired at Memphis on 4/28/23.
He always struck me as a dirtbag. That seems to confirm it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT