ADVERTISEMENT

How much does the coaches religion influence a recruits decision

52T

Oct 26, 2023
I have no idea but I'm curious. I would say In some situations it could. I'm not sure if the coach can give an opinion

Probably a particularly individual thing.

Some zero and some few a lot.

Some are very religious, some want little to nothing to do with it.
Many are just whatever their family is but may not think about it in any serious way and are just being teen and young adults doing their thing.

It isn't money, winning, coeds, or development that applies to nearly everyone.

Reactions: ThrowBackCat9
Probably how the coach behaves, and speaks to players (i.e in practice) is more of a factor. For example, for a highly religious player, he probably would not have wanted to play for Knight, coach K, and others who swore like sailors. In that instance, a coach like Tubby & others may have been a better fit.

Reactions: westerncat
Slim to none. Pope went to UK as a Mormon and I bet nobody on that team or staff were Mormon. I think the only one this besides Pope is Chandler. So 14 players and 5-6 coaches about 20 people and it's Pope and Chandler.

I have issues with some of the beliefs of Mormons.

But one thing is true: True Mormons are high moral, high character people. And that counts a lot to Moms/Dads. I have high confidence that Coach Pope will never embarrass or disappoint us off the court.

Much like in life, no one really cares who is religious or not as long as you aren’t trying to force it on them. NIL can make you overlook a lot anyways.
That sounds great on paper. Truthfully though, most people are subconsciously living out the implications of their worldview. The end result is that people often try to “force” others to live within their code of ethics even if they themselves may view their own actions as virtuous. An example of this may be someone who is a secular humanist who may view someone else evangelizing their faith to another person as violating their own view that someone should not impose their views on another person. The humanist begins to judge the person who evangelizes as a net negative to society and begins to tell the evangelist to take their preaching elsewhere. Strangely, the scenario is actually the humanist performing the very “sin” they believe the evangelist to be guilty of. Truthfully, the humanist isn’t intending to be inconsistent —- they are living out their own world view which in and of itself, is also a religious construct.

TLDR: There is a reason why the people who claim to be the most tolerant are often the most abrasive to anyone who doesn’t agree with their values.

Slim to none. Pope went to UK as a Mormon and I bet nobody on that team or staff were Mormon. I think the only one this besides Pope is Chandler. So 14 players and 5-6 coaches about 20 people and it's Pope and Chandler.
I'm pretty sure Vernon Hatton was a Mormon. A couple of my dad's Mormon cousins are married to Hatton's cousins who were Mormon. My dad played on a softball team their church had and met Hatton when he played against him in tournament between Mormon church teams. If I remember correctly my dad said Hatton was a Mormon, at least back then. Of course my dad wasn't one but they wanted him to play so the same could be said about Hatton. He played for Rupp so religion didn't affect his decision.

With Drew, I actually think it plays a larger factor. Edgecombe is a Christian, and he said the connection there helped.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT