ADVERTISEMENT

What is Dakari Johnson doing right now, today?

Jan 28, 2005
I would be willing to bet that he wishes he would have stayed at UK another year and was playing right now. We would have fewer losses and he would be averaging a double double, be the best Center in the SEC and probably be in the lotto, if not, first round for sure. I get that a kid leaves early if he is lotto or guaranteed first round, but if you are over 6'10" and you aren't a first round lock, then you shouldn't go. Just see Randolph Morris, Marquis Estill, Daniel Orton AND Dakari Johnson.

Looking at you Skal, Lee and Poythress, only reason they should go is if they don't have a choice.

It'd be nice to have the extra body, but unless he took a huge leap, he is far away from being the difference maker down low this team needs.

Reactions: CatsnRoses
Dakari Johnson had 17 points & 9 rebounds (both team highs) in D-League OKC's 95-91 win at Austin. Marquis Teague added 9 points, 7 assists.

It'd be nice to have the extra body, but unless he took a huge leap, he is far away from being the difference maker down low this team needs.
Wow I disagree big time.

He would be the clear cut #1 option to go to down low when we need a bucket.

Dakari had a legitimate low-post game, was a space eater with strong hands, and never got pushed out of the way going for a rebound.

For whatever reason, it seemed like DJ regressed a bit. I'm positive with the extra Playing time and practice he would have improved beyond his freshmen year. Would have been the best center in conference this year and would have been a great leader for this team.

DJ made a mistake leaving, as it appears now, but that doesn't mean it will still be a mistake in 2-5 years. Hope he continues to improve his game and gets a shot in the league not starting with a D. Was a good kid overall.

DJ would have been a fine player for us this year. He would have been the best big man on the roster and a true C...something only The Hump is when he plays.

And Orton was a far better athlete than Dakari will ever be. Had legitimate bounce and didn't get his shot blocked > 50% of the time in the paint.

I understand that, but the op used Orton as an example of "if you're not a first round lock, you shouldn't go."

I think people forget how much Dakari seem to regress from his Freshman year to his Soph. I think he wanted out of school so I bet he regrets nothing.

Can't imagine he would be in the lottery discussion. I do think he would have raised his draft stock a bit by returning.

He wanted to get paid right away though. Can't really blame him for that.

Can't imagine he would be in the lottery discussion. I do think he would have raised his draft stock a bit by returning.

He wanted to get paid right away though. Can't really blame him for that.

Well he did stay 2 years...so not like he lit out of here after his frosh season. He probably should have stayed one more but maybe he thought Cal would play Skal over him and he'd not get big minutes. To be fair as the season began did anyone think we'd miss DJ or he'd play much more than last year at best? He probably didn't wanna come back to share minutes.

Skal scared him off. I liked him, but he couldn't jump over a phone book (by the way, not sure if Briscoe can either). So I'm not sure how much an extra year at UK would help him.

I believe you should stay in school to a) mature as a person and b) get educated. If you want to become a better basketball player, the D-League might be a better option.

The only reason i think it would have made more sense to stay is, yes he would have been our top option down low, yes he would get quality minutes, yes another year of experience, but the real thing is how much weaker this draft is. All of those factors would have probably allowed him to be better prepared for the draft and drafted higher. but you cant fault a kid for chasing his dreams.

Dakari is actually playng really well in the D-League. Putting up good numbers, actually hitting mid-range shots & looks relatively more fluid in the post.

Guy has improved alot in a short span. His training in the offseason w/ NBA trainers + the D-league coaches have everything to do w/ his improvement.

Last edited:
He did not get an NBA contract so the max he is making is $25000 in the D League. I really bet he wishes he was back at UK. He would have definitely improved his game and been a first round pick this year. Multi million dollar mistake.

Ingram is the guy who we had a realistic shot at getting that would have made the most difference. The guys who left in the draft either made the right choice or wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

Dakari Johnson had 17 points & 9 rebounds (both team highs) in D-League OKC's 95-91 win at Austin. Marquis Teague added 9 points, 7 assists.

That's great. I guess. At least Daniel Orton who is terrible, got draft money. Nobody on here can tell me Dakari couldn't have gotten drafted in the first round had he come back. Was it a lock? No. Last time I checked, the D-League isn't either.

What good is his development in the d-league when he's making $30,000/year without an guarantee of an NBA contract?

He would have likely been a 1st round pick this season. That's a guarantee of at least two years and over a million in earnings.

Leaving UK was not a smart move on his end. The notion that he reached his ceiling as a sophomore (a myth promoted by some of the same posters in this very thread) was false.

Dakari is actually playng really well in the D-League. Putting up good numbers, actually hitting mid-range shots & looks relatively more fluid in the post.

Guy has improved alot in a short span. His training in the offseason w/ NBA trainers + the D-league coaches have everything to do w/ his improvement.

And still no NBA contract. Bottom line: had he returned, he'd be in a decent position to be a 1st round pick, with a guaranteed contract and at least $1.8 million in future earnings locked up.

And still no NBA contract. Bottom line: had he returned, he'd be in a decent position to be a 1st round pick, with a guaranteed contract and at least $1.8 million in future earnings locked up.

Thats the thing this fanbase doesnt understand - He was never going to be a 1st round pick. Never.

He simply doesnt have the tools or the skillset. Short arm'd, unathletic C who can;t stretch the floor or protect the rim.

His draft upside was always the 2nd round. IDC how weak a draft is, he was always going to be a bad prospect.

Thats the thing this fanbase doesnt understand - He was never going to be a 1st round pick. Never.

He simply doesnt have the tools or the skillset. Short arm'd, unathletic C who can;t stretch the floor or protect the rim.

His draft upside was always the 2nd round. IC how weak a draft is, he was always going to be a bad prospect.

Wrong on so many points it's not worth even going through. He would have been a first round pick this year, no question about it.

What good is his development in the d-league when he's making $30,000/year without an guarantee of an NBA contract?

He would have likely been a 1st round pick this season. That's a guarantee of at least two years and over a million in earnings.

Leaving UK was not a smart move on his end. The notion that he reached his ceiling as a sophomore (a myth promoted by some of the same posters in this very thread) was false.

I like Matt Jones, but it's also a myth he won't shut up about. "he could have came back, but his stock wasn't going to improve."

I've heard that on his show way too many times. Yes Matt, most of those kids draft stock won't improve. However, some will. Nobody in here can tell me Dakari Johnson couldn't have went first round this year. Nobody.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Wrong on so many points it's not worth even going through. He would have been a first round pick this year, no question about it.

Pls, go in-detail.

Its weird, a leap heading into his 3rd year is a lock to everybody when he REGRESSED in his 2nd.

So a guy who didnt improve for a full year...is expected to make BIG leaps & become a 1st rounder with bad all-around tools? Gotcha. Not a homer take at all. Nope.

Reactions: kats23
It's funny how many of our fans have bought into the "leave as quick as you can!" mentality, even when it's not the smart business decision.

Now playing for a title contending team and staying in school is automatically worse than making money, no matter how meager.

Reactions: .S&C.
Pls, go in-detail.

Its weird, a leap heading into his 3rd year is a lock to everybody when he REGRESSED in his 2nd.

So a guy who didnt improve for a full year...is expected to make BIG leaps & become a 1st rounder with bad all-around tools? Gotcha. Not a homer take at all. Nope.

Aren't you just so smart. Good for you.

Now tell everyone how good our reserves (you know, the 2nd starting 5) have done in the league this season. You're so full of stats and everything. Throw Ulis in there too. He didn't start.

Aren't you just so smart. Good for you.

Now tell everyone how good our reserves (you know, the 2nd starting 5) have done in the league this season. You're so full of stats and everything. Throw Ulis in there too. He didn't start.

I dont see how that has anything to do with my post/topic.

it has everything to do with it. dakari regressed, right?

Yes, every UK fan knows this.

What does his running mates in the 2nd platoon have to do with this? Those guys were freshmen + Lee.

The freshmen, who're in the league or starting for us ( Ulis), have made a leap. Something Dakari didnt do in his season after his first yr at UK, which is why its dumb to expect one in his 3rd when he was taking STEPS BACK.

Lee is basically the same player, just getting more PT. Same problems that bit him in the past, are biting him now.

So again..what point are you trying to make here??

5starrecruit knows his NBA, and I get he understands draft positioning too. No need to give him crap over his opinion. He states it and gives good reasons why.

Having said that, I slightly disagree. I think given the draft, and his position on this years team, someone might have taken him in the first round. I understand his limitations, but I think there would have been a chance. I think he made a mistake leaving. Again, just one mans opinion.

As for his regression, thats not uncommon. Its called a sophomore slump, and it happens to the best of them. As a junior starting with Ulis and Murray, I think he could have shined.

IN any event, I would have returned for a shot at a title, to be really close to my degree, and even if 5star is on the mark, gone the same in the draft after that. So why not?

Reactions: JFCats22
IN any event, I would have returned for a shot at a title, to be really close to my degree, and even if 5star is on the mark, gone the same in the draft after that. So why not?

What if he CONTINUED to regress? Then he'd look at the possibility of not even getting drafted.

So returning wouldnt have been a risk-free move by Dakari.

Just look at Poythress. He never made a leap & is gonna go undrafted. Had he left after his first two seasons, he would've been selected.

Reactions: KYDave32 and .S&C.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT