ADVERTISEMENT

What is Dakari Johnson doing right now, today?

What if he CONTINUED to regress? Then he'd look at the possibility of not even getting drafted.

So returning wouldnt have been a risk-free move by Dakari.

We have a player on the team right now who's experiencing this.

That's for sure. But I think Dakari is just an all around better player than Lee. Lee just seems to have no skills.

But yea that is true. Had he continues to regress, I guess it could have effected his positioning more. Probably should just be glad we had him for 2.

I wil say, with the right major, that degree isn't just junk. And I know they can come back later, but its not the same. I know from coaching football and teaching, getting that degree while you're actually in school is so much easier. But now I'm sounding old so I'll leave that alone lol.

What good is his development in the d-league when he's making $30,000/year without an guarantee of an NBA contract?

He would have likely been a 1st round pick this season. That's a guarantee of at least two years and over a million in earnings.

Leaving UK was not a smart move on his end. The notion that he reached his ceiling as a sophomore (a myth promoted by some of the same posters in this very thread) was false.
The argument isn't that he reached his ceiling, it's that it was pretty easy to guess his ceiling based on his limitations. This is a bad draft, so he might have managed to sneak into the first round, but it isn't a guarantee. I'm of the opinion that an extra year of school is very rarely the difference between a long NBA career, and being out after a year or two. I'd say it's too early to say for him.

I definitely think people overrate the impact he'd have on this team.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
The problem with Dakari last season is he was not really needed on that team. When he was a fixture on the team his first year he actually did pretty well. This season he would have been THE MAN down on the block and would have flourished. He also would have been a rebounding machine on both ends of the court.
Sure he would be playing for "free", but all his meals and lodging would be free also. He is maxed out at 25K and for half the year paying for all essentials in life. Multi million dollar mistake. But it is his life and his decisions.

Wow I disagree big time.

He would be the clear cut #1 option to go to down low when we need a bucket.

Dakari had a legitimate low-post game, was a space eater with strong hands, and never got pushed out of the way going for a rebound.

Agree, Dakari would be a difference make for sure.

Dakari is actually playng really well in the D-League. Putting up good numbers, actually hitting mid-range shots & looks relatively more fluid in the post.

Guy has improved alot in a short span. His training in the offseason w/ NBA trainers + the D-league coaches have everything to do w/ his improvement.

I'd only want him back on this team if he wears those SWEET GOGGLES!!!!!!

Reactions: 5iveStarRecruit
DJ was the type of player who wasn't going to progress much playing limited minutes. He needed 20+ minutes.
On this year's team he would have made a huge impact, and would be averaging around 12 & 8. And instead of 20-7 our record would be more like 24-3.
DJ reminded me a bit of Nazi Mohammad.

Reactions: ib4ky
I understand that, but the op used Orton as an example of "if you're not a first round lock, you shouldn't go."

And, I think that this year is a much weaker draft. Even if his numbers only improved slightly, he would have gone higher.

I would be willing to bet that he wishes he would have stayed at UK another year and was playing right now. We would have fewer losses and he would be averaging a double double, be the best Center in the SEC and probably be in the lotto, if not, first round for sure. I get that a kid leaves early if he is lotto or guaranteed first round, but if you are over 6'10" and you aren't a first round lock, then you shouldn't go. Just see Randolph Morris, Marquis Estill, Daniel Orton AND Dakari Johnson.

Looking at you Skal, Lee and Poythress, only reason they should go is if they don't have a choice.
On his way to making millions of dollars while you type on message boards.

I think hindsight is 20-20.

Would Dakari help us this year? Yes

Would he have improved his draft stock? Maybe. He does not have a NBA center skill set nor athleticism. However this is a REALLY weak draft.

Did he make the right choice? Probably. He and everyone else was rating Skal as the guy who outplayed Simmons in the HS all star games. He had to think he would have been on the bench again for a third straight year. Remember, we all thought Skal was going to be more AD thean AJ Stewart.

But he could be a red-shirt junior if Derek and Cal wanted it!

He could potentially earn a 5th year via a medical RS I think, but POY trying out the NBA next year vs staying in school is not even remotely close to DJ or Skal leaving early as the OP lumped him into.

So a 20yo seven footer avg 12.8/8.3 in the NBDL in only 28mpg could not have helped us much in a down year? Or gotten a guaranteed deal in a very weak draft? My goodness.

Count me in on feeling DJ could have helped us and possibly himself comin back. He wouldn't have even sniffed all-American honors or anything but he would have provided some much needed bulk & rebounding. He would be getting a lot of minutes this year. I still don't know if he'd go 1st round but he would have had a much better chance with a weak draft and decent Nazr-type numbers.

Getting paid to play basketball.

He was never coming back, get over yourself and what you want for his life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT