ADVERTISEMENT

What I Need Right Now

A few years ago a thread like this would’ve been quickly shut down. People would point to the miraculous run of the 2014 team. I think that team bought Cal a lot of run. Every one could point to it as reason to believe that better times were soon ahead. The fans don’t see it that way now.

I remember John Wall using the phrase “stay humble, stay hungry.”. Cal has been the opposite of that. He’s been arrogant. He’s too comfortable.

Im just a basketball Benny. All I can do is sit back and watch.
yes, that 2014 team has created alot of optimism for getting thru bad Decembers.

But the past years have had a cumulative effect on that being more unicorn than norm.

Cal sounds much like another national championship coach I remember when his fan base dared to question diminishing results. I’m talking about Nolan Richardson at Arkansas. He began attacking his fan base and low and behold the most popular guy in the state a few years earlier was GONE in less than a year. Cal’s recent mocking of our fans ( at his presser a couple of weeks ago) is strikingly similar. He seems to have grown the type of ego they feel he is beyond criticism, and certianly not from the lowly fans. If you saw the presser his disdain for our fan base was obvious. All I can tell him is he has” no idea” how bad things will get if things don’t improve. My guess is he will over on to NBA rather than endure it and completely trash our fans and program on his way out the door. I hope I’m wrong but I bet I’m not.
Mocking the fans was not a smart move. We are a loud voice. He will not win that battle.

‘Oh you read minds from such a great distance. You just use foil on your head or you have a little antenna too?
No, water head. He said you should reply to Jedwar like you reply to us on here. You know, call him dumb, idiotic, never played the game. You know insult the he’ll out of him. After all, that is your style on here. Man up, dude show us what you got, bring it. Dont cower in the corner. Show us what a big man, and expert on basketball you are. Challenge Jedwar in the same manner you challenge us? We are all waiting. I am sure you won’t disappoint us.

JDh8I80.png

Reactions: Cawood86
Hard to take any of this serious when we all know the man...he is not going to do any of the items you all wish he would do.
Cal is not going anywhere and it's going to be an epicly terrible situation for a school to force out someone who has a lifetime contract.

That's the reality....something that many of you don't or won't understand. I think once you get a better grasp of the situation, you will just accept that Cal has a bad team this year and that's that. Every coach has a bad team and that's life when it comes to sports.

We have a clean program, a national high profile coach who is loved by his players (current and former), brings in great recruits...and we have a fan base that is b1tching about not winning a national championship every year.

If Cal and the team bothers you that much, go root or watch another team. Its amazing how fans get so bothered by their sports teams. Maybe you need to do some self reflecting....

Mocking the fans was not a smart move. We are a loud voice. He will not win that battle.

Is this really what you have to talk yourself into to justify getting rid of Cal? Did he really hurt you?

Its sad, but you are talking yourself into this make believe stuff. Cal has been one of the best ambassadors for UK and it's still not enough for you and others.

I know people are frustrated, but post after post of delusional stuff is not going to make things better at all. I think these types of posts are just adding fuel to a non-needed self-infliction for the fan base.

I don't want a repeat of trying to find a coach after Tuby left. If Cal didn't come after BCG, not sure who would have come in to save us.

Hard to take any of this serious when we all know the man...he is not going to do any of the items you all wish he would do.
Cal is not going anywhere and it's going to be an epicly terrible situation for a school to force out someone who has a lifetime contract.

That's the reality....something that many of you don't or won't understand. I think once you get a better grasp of the situation, you will just accept that Cal has a bad team this year and that's that. Every coach has a bad team and that's life when it comes to sports.

We have a clean program, a national high profile coach who is loved by his players (current and former), brings in great recruits...and we have a fan base that is b1tching about not winning a national championship every year.

If Cal and the team bothers you that much, go root or watch another team. Its amazing how fans get so bothered by their sports teams. Maybe you need to do some self reflecting....
You are right. Cal will not be fired nor do I expect him to be. Cal will leave when he is ready. But, he has lost a large majority of the fan base. How long can he be expected to be coach when he is not supported by the fans? Same road was traveled with Tubby. Tubby was never, ever going to be fired, but he knew he had lost the fan support so he left. Cal will do the same. I have watched one half of UK basketball this year, the KU game. I doubt I watch another game this year. So unless I die, I will be fine till Cal leaves, then I can watch UK again.

I know people are frustrated, but post after post of delusional stuff is not going to make things better at all. I think these types of posts are just adding fuel to a non-needed self-infliction for the fan base.

I don't want a repeat of trying to find a coach after Tuby left. If Cal didn't come after BCG, not sure who would have come in to save us.
So you are afraid of change then? Ok. You are willing to accept the mediocre product on the floor because you fear a coaching search? Are you really that big of a pussie, or are you just a die hard Calipari fan and not so much a UK fan?

You are right. Cal will not be fired nor do I expect him to be. Cal will leave when he is ready. But, he has lost a large majority of the fan base. How long can he be expected to be coach when he is not supported by the fans? Same road was traveled with Tubby. Tubby was never, ever going to be fired, but he knew he had lost the fan support so he left. Cal will do the same. I have watched one half of UK basketball this year, the KU game. I doubt I watch another game this year. So unless I die, I will be fine till Cal leaves, then I can watch UK again.

Stop doing that...you WILL watch the next game. Setting yourself up for failure is not something you should do. Enjoy the game for what it is...a game. If they win, AWESOME. If they crap the bed, go hug a loved one and move on.

So you are afraid of change then? Ok. You are willing to accept the mediocre product on the floor because you fear a coaching search? Are you really that big of a pussie, or are you just a die hard Calipari fan and not so much a UK fan?

Maybe it is because I am not originally from Kentucky, I have a different perspective. But outside of taking a chance (our last flyer was on BCG) on a young coach, there are no established coaches that are going to come to UK, especially after CAL.

There is your reality. And the lifetime contract thing. If that is what makes me a pussy, then so be it.

I'm with you if you can tell me the alternative to Cal. Can you? Who's coming?

Cal reminds me of the type of politicians we see currently flying to some tropical Destination for a holiday while posting from the plane “ do not gather in your homes “ they just think they are so above it all. And just as in politics people don’t always hold them accountable.
Do as I say, not what I do.

Maybe it is because I am not originally from Kentucky, I have a different perspective. But outside of taking a chance (our last flyer was on BCG) on a young coach, there are no established coaches that are going to come to UK, especially after CAL.

There is your reality. And the lifetime contract thing. If that is what makes me a pussy, then so be it.

Dont know, don’t care. The athletic department will figure that out. Whomever it is, I will support them and give them a chance. If they fail, the university will correct it, just like they did with BCG. Sometimes change is a good thing. Stagnation is always a bad thing.

Is this really what you have to talk yourself into to justify getting rid of Cal? Did he really hurt you?

Its sad, but you are talking yourself into this make believe stuff. Cal has been one of the best ambassadors for UK and it's still not enough for you and others.
there is no talking yourself into it. Cal is frustrated with the fan reaction and expectations put on him - but he knew that coming here, he didn't shy away from it, early on he owned it.

Now he has to invest an inordinate amount of his time deflecting criticism. He paints it as he is a buffer between him and the players, but the fans really don't have a problem with the players- they are what they are, the problem is Cals approach to using them, his system and how its become this monster he can't control but still has to feed.

Cal might be a good ambassador for UK but he isn't a good ambassador for college basketball as a whole, and when his system fails to work - which you can argue has been some marginal year after year decline as of late, then people are going to line up to remind him what he's done to college, UK changing with it - no senior night (also meaning no emphasis on a college degree), turnover on the program , fan apathy, a focus on the NBA

its all tolerated when the system works, when the system fails there is a bunch of pent up anger in the price UK has paid to support it.

there is no talking yourself into it. Cal is frustrated with the fan reaction and expectations put on him - but he knew that coming here, he didn't shy away from it, early on he owned it.

Now he has to invest an inordinate amount of his time deflecting criticism. He paints it as he is a buffer between him and the players, but the fans really don't have a problem with the players- they are what they are, the problem is Cals approach to using them, his system and how its become this monster he can't control but still has to feed.

Cal might be a good ambassador for UK but he isn't a good ambassador for college basketball as a whole, and when his system fails to work - which you can argue has been some marginal year after year decline as of late, then people are going to line up to remind him what he's done to college, UK changing with it - no senior night (also meaning no emphasis on a college degree), turnover on the program , fan apathy, a focus on the NBA

its all tolerated when the system works, when the system fails there is a bunch of pent up anger in the price UK has paid to support it.

Our fans has run out many players as well...stop being so naive. And if you can't even acknowledge that Cal is a good ambassador (might?), then outside of winning a national championship every year, you will never be satisfied. Hence Cal's correct assessment that you are an unreasonable fan.

Our fans has run out many players as well...stop being so naive. And if you can't even acknowledge that Cal is a good ambassador (might?), then outside of winning a national championship every year, you will never be satisfied. Hence Cal's correct assessment that you are an unreasonable fan.
An unreasonable fan is one that expects to beat Evansville, Richmond, GA tech? Ok, so be it then. I am unreasonable.

An unreasonable fan is one that expects to beat Evansville, Richmond, GA tech? Ok, so be it then. I am unreasonable.

The entire time Cal has been here, he has had clunkers at the beginning of the year. Maybe you just aren't following UK basketball as much as you claim.

Maybe you are the problem...constantly claiming that you are not going to watch anymore and then do the complete opposite and in the process, constantly complain about the smallest things. Unreasonable.

Its how you define ambassador

runs a clean program, focused on helping kids? absolutely

aligns himself with the ideals of college? nope, his approach has turned college basketball on its ear.

If you can't acknowledge that its resulted in fan apathy toward the program, a lack of emphasis on the college experience and players dedicated to the program, then you aren't seeing the whole picture either.

It was a high risk , high reward approach. Cal made a conscious decision to go in the direction he did, and to his credit he was transparent about it, but the fans had to make a choice - do you support mercernaries pretending to be college students to achieve the goals of winning a national championship? At least that what fans thought they were signing up for.

Then it turned into a science project for Cal, his attempt to be the patron saint of generational poverty, and he used - and used is the key word here, UK as his platform to execute it.

And while I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theories, Cal's abrasive , swag attitude - has made the road for UK success that much harder with referees, the NCAA and the media.

Maybe we just have a much different idea what a good ambassador for a college program is.

The entire time Cal has been here, he has had clunkers at the beginning of the year. Maybe you just aren't following UK basketball as much as you claim.

Maybe you are the problem...constantly claiming that you are not going to watch anymore and then do the complete opposite and in the process, constantly complain about the smallest things. Unreasonable.
I already admitted being unreasonable according to your definitions. What more you want, my blood? FYI, I have been a UK since the Issel/Pratt days. A looong time. No, I don’t plan to watch another UK basketball or football game as long as Stoops and Cal remains the coach. Make of that what you will, but you do not have the qualifications to judge how much I have followed over the years since the 1960’s. I do disagree with what you call an unreasonable fan.

It was a high risk , high reward approach. Cal made a conscious decision to go in the direction he did, and to his credit he was transparent about it, but the fans had to make a choice - do you support mercernaries pretending to be college students to achieve the goals of winning a national championship? At least that what fans thought they were signing up for.

And while I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theories, Cal's abrasive , swag attitude - has made the road for UK success that much harder with referees, the NCAA and the media.

The constant moving of the goal posts...I thought the counter-argument to the "unreasonable fan needing a championship every year" was , well we just need to be in the conversation. So now you are claiming we need to win a championship each year for you to be satisfied?

And was it Cal calling Higgin's roofing company?

The constant moving of the goal posts...I thought the counter-argument to the "unreasonable fan needing a championship every year" was , well we just need to be in the conversation. So now you are claiming we need to win a championship each year for you to be satisfied?

And was it Cal calling Higgin's roofing company?
I find myself at a crossroads in these debates quite often lately.

Do I engage them with a response when they make an absurd reply or do I just stop responding?

so my question is, do you really think I am demanding a national championship every year?

if yes, then you don't merit a response, if no, then why did you choose to respond with hyperbole? Do you believe that furthers reasonable discussion?

Yes this team will get better although probably later and less than most of them and probably too late.

The cumulative effect of new rosters and horrid play early are taking a toll on fans. Even when it does work its frustrating to the point of being no fun. Year after year of this is alienating the base.

Cal also gives the impression that anyone disagreeing with the ultimate goal of this strategy doesn't see the light. He is that arrogant.

Last edited:
I don't usually post the day of a loss. I know myself well enough to not do that. I will not post except for this. I do not want Cal gone. Okay, that's out of the way. What I need right now is not we are young, the schedule is too hard for these guys. Rather what I need is a coach who mans up and examines himself and his program honestly and recognized systemic issues and addresses them head on even if that means not using the same model he had in 2010 and with elite players. It's 11 years later. What worked then is not working now.

If Cal would step up and say something is wrong with what I'm doing system wise, we are not good. It is my fault and the guys are not playing well, but they and myself and my staff will work our tails off to get it right. I am so sick of the schedule talk, the young talk, the snarky remarks etc. Who controls that? If Cal thinks this fan base and the Lex press won't turn, he's very wrong. Anyway, that's all I have because the rest just is not forum friendly.

jed, a lot of fans feel just like you do. However, if he isn't willing to change, then "Next Man Up." There is no need to keep riding a dead horse. For what were paying him, we can get just about anyone we want.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I find myself at a crossroads in these debates quite often lately.

Do I engage them with a response when they make an absurd reply or do I just stop responding?

so my question is, do you really think I am demanding a national championship every year?

if yes, then you don't merit a response, if no, then why did you choose to respond with hyperbole? Do you believe that furthers reasonable discussion?

Yes, you probably do expect one every year and you know what I meant...yet, you still responded. You, yourself, can't even hold yourself to your own imaginary standards...similar to the other poster who keeps saying he's not going to watch anymore, yet continues to watch over and over and over again.

Like I said, it wasn't Cal who called a person's roofing business, yet that incident put Cal in an uncomfortable position. Yet, you call out Cal for his abrasive behaviour?

Yes, you probably do expect one every year and you know what I meant...yet, you still responded. You, yourself, can't even hold yourself to your own imaginary standards...similar to the other poster who keeps saying he's not going to watch anymore, yet continues to watch over and over and over again.

Like I said, it wasn't Cal who called a person's roofing business, yet that incident put Cal in an uncomfortable position. Yet, you call out Cal for his abrasive behaviour?
question answered.

Just after KU. He's gotta do it. Or this thing goes to a whole different level if we keep losing, (I see nothing that indicates we wont). The whole different level will be a nasty fan base and a potentially nasty press that may be tired of his act.

Jed, your right, most of us are tired of his act. Cal seems to think that he is the only person in Kentucky who knows basketball. Probably 90% of the posters on here have played basketball in high school. We learned basics, plays and we drove if the opportunity was there. We learned to block out for rebounds. We learned ball movement, with crisp passes, If you dribbled to much instead of passing, we learned to get a seat by the coach. The one thing we all knew, and loved, was putting the ball in the basket. We could shoot the 10 to 12 foot jumper, or screen a man, and then roll off the screen for a CRIP shot. I doubt if the players have heard that word.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: KyFaninNC
No, water head. He said you should reply to Jedwar like you reply to us on here. You know, call him dumb, idiotic, never played the game. You know insult the he’ll out of him. After all, that is your style on here. Man up, dude show us what you got, bring it. Dont cower in the corner. Show us what a big man, and expert on basketball you are. Challenge Jedwar in the same manner you challenge us? We are all waiting. I am sure you won’t disappoint us.

KYFAN, ignore Bass. He is ignorant when it comes to basketball. There are others on here who are quick to defend Cal, regardless of what he does. No one wants Cal fired if he realizes he is NOT bigger then UK basketball, and makes some changes in his coaching. He should see that his system is no longer working. Even Ray Charles could see it's not working. Bass talked about Fundamentals in a post when he was bad-mouthing me. I knew by his reply, that he didn't know basketball, and had never played the game, except in the back yard. Anyone that can't see that what Cal is doing, is not going to work, is as bad as Cal. He wants to blame everyone but himself.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Albany, not being from Ky. tells me a lot. Your wrong! We will stack the money up so high, we will get who we want. Don't kid yourself. Coaches will be standing in line to get this job. Alabama is like that in football, and UK is like that in basketball. MONEY TALKS AND Bull Crap walks.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Albany, you need to quit arguing on here. Your making a fool of your self. The problem at UK basketball is Coach Cal. He is arrogant, conceited, and thinks he is above the UK fans. He's wrong, and his system is wrong. Did you watch the GT game? He was completely out coached the second half. GT went to a zone, and said, "If you beat me, then you have to do it from the outside." UK's length didn't help them, because Cal doesn't recruit shooters, just athletes. You still have to put the ball in the basket. We didn't guard the three point shooter, and when we pulled out on them, their crisp passes got short jump shots. We looked like a deer in the headlights, and so did Cal. All he could do was jump up and down during TO's and chew the players. Embarrassing!

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I don't usually post the day of a loss. I know myself well enough to not do that. I will not post except for this. I do not want Cal gone. Okay, that's out of the way. What I need right now is not we are young, the schedule is too hard for these guys. Rather what I need is a coach who mans up and examines himself and his program honestly and recognized systemic issues and addresses them head on even if that means not using the same model he had in 2010 and with elite players. It's 11 years later. What worked then is not working now.

If Cal would step up and say something is wrong with what I'm doing system wise, we are not good. It is my fault and the guys are not playing well, but they and myself and my staff will work our tails off to get it right. I am so sick of the schedule talk, the young talk, the snarky remarks etc. Who controls that? If Cal thinks this fan base and the Lex press won't turn, he's very wrong. Anyway, that's all I have because the rest just is not forum friendly.

You are correct but he’s not likely to say publicly that his system is broken or whatever dramatic speech you can muster up. It will be bad for marketing and branding to do it. I simply want him to evaluate internally and fix it. I don’t need a grand “I’ve been wrong and failed the fans” speech.

Albany, you need to quit arguing on here. Your making a fool of your self. The problem at UK basketball is Coach Cal. He is arrogant, conceited, and thinks he is above the UK fans.

The same was said of Pitino and Tubby...maybe the coaches are not the issue.

I mean, fans were going out of their way to complain about Joanne/Donna and they had nothing to do with the basketball teams. LOL.

You think we NEED a title every year? Where did you get that? Haven't won a title in 9 seasons and haven't been to a final 4 since 2015, but we have been pretty quiet and supported Cal hoping he would make good on the promises he made in 2009 and has been making every year since.
The loud roar you are hearing now, is stemming from years of aggravation and bad losses. Starting off 1-3 against this pathetic schedule is unacceptable.
10 million a year should get us a better product than this. He more than doubles Roy Williams' salary and he makes almost 3 million more than coach K, a guy with 5 titles to his name. Is this acceptable to you?

I never once said get rid of him. I said I want him here. Seriously.

to quickly summarize, its alot of people saying the same things being said on here - only they aren't anonymous, some are sportswriters, sports websites, even Duke Basketball noted UK is 1-3 on the year.
Good....I hope he gets blasted daily for this mess he created

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT