ADVERTISEMENT

Did Mitch make the right call?

OP, to be honest no one (or at least only a very few) here were talking about Pope as a legit consideration after Calipari officially left. It was all Hurley, Donovan, Wright, Beard, Pearl and Drew. Some were ready to jump off a bridge if it wasn't one of those guys. So, I'd say the Pope hire was a out-of-left-field type thing. Even in Vegas the odds were long that Pope would get the job. And those guys know a thing or two.

But, he is now our coach and hopefully we all support him 100%. He deserves that and a chance to succeed or fail. But, supporting Pope does not guarantee success. For me (and many other Cat fans if they're honest) we need to be convinced and that only comes with winning and contending against a very tough schedule of opponents in the OOC and SEC. Pope has never led a program the likes of UK. Never been overly scrutinized and criticized over every post/pre-game comment, substitution or in-game adjustment like he will here.

I still maintain Pope was a gamble hire for Barnhart. But, probably the best gamble he could make. Pope 'gets' what UK basketball is about and what it means to the fanbase. He knows the passion. Now, he has to make it work. Again, I think he deserves every chance to do that.
So, OP your question is valid IMO. But, we won't really know the answer until 3-4 years have passed.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Thank you sir. A 70 year old man like me, doesn't give a shit if every word is spelled correctly, but apparently jerks do. Have a great day!
I responded to you being a JERK telling me not to post. If you had just made comment on the content and left that little jab at me on the end off. I would have let it slide because I knew what you were trying to say but failed at in the execution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT