ADVERTISEMENT

Legit Question on recruiting/Portal right now

CatsFanIL

Freshman
May 29, 2019
Pope said that they're talking to everyone - all of the recruits, all of the current players, and everyone in the portal that will take the call. So here's my question:

Who's helping Pope with all this right now? That is A LOT of dudes to connect with. So who's helping him make all these calls? Do we have staff not announced yet?

Pope said that they're talking to everyone - all of the recruits, all of the current players, and everyone in the portal that will take the call. So here's my question:

Who's helping Pope with all this right now? That is A LOT of dudes to connect with. So who's helping him make all these calls? Do we have staff not announced yet?
I'm sure several of those getting off the bus yesterday plus several more would help.

He also probably has assistants in place that just haven’t been announced yet. I’m sure that he isn’t alone in these efforts.

Didn't I read that a BYU assistant is coming with him. That's 1. I would not be surprised if he already has 1-2 more lined up. Would love is Ulis was utilized in this capacity.
Matt Jones tweeted (I know I know, just hush) that 2 people from BYU were coming with him; 1 administrative and 1 bench coach , and at least 1 former UK player would be on the staff. So I'd say those 3 and maybe some other former players and Mitch are helping make those calls.

Matt Jones tweeted (I know I know, just hush) that 2 people from BYU were coming with him; 1 administrative and 1 bench coach , and at least 1 former UK player would be on the staff. So I'd say those 3 and maybe some other former players and Mitch are helping make those calls.
Right - but can they do that if they're not officially on staff yet? I wouldn't think until they've resigned from BYU (and presumably Padgett at Miss St) that they'd be able to do that for UK yet, right?

Right - but can they do that if they're not officially on staff yet? I wouldn't think until they've resigned from BYU (and presumably Padgett at Miss St) that they'd be able to do that for UK yet, right?
I mean if Cal was allowed to call recruits before he officially resigned and signed with Arkansas, I assume they can, but I really don't know.

I mean if Cal was allowed to call recruits before he officially resigned and signed with Arkansas, I assume they can, but I really don't know.
I won't pretend to be an NCAA Sanctions officer - but if those recruits were already committed to Cal, is it wrong for him to be in contact with them either way?

No idea if this is what's happening but I'm pretty sure university admin staff can fill in temporarily while staffs are being filled out. Louisville was contacting transfers before they had even found a head coach

No idea if this is what's happening but I'm pretty sure university admin staff can fill in temporarily while staffs are being filled out. Louisville was contacting transfers before they had even found a head coach
Right, I get it - I just wonder who it is, because I have a hard time picture Mitch doing it, and we know that Cal is taking the entire staff with him to Arkansas

I’m not sure there’s anyone trying to enforce any contact restrictions at this point. It’s too easy to make contact through unofficial channels.

Think of it as NBA free agents signing complication multi million dollar deals at 12:01.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Right, I get it - I just wonder who it is, because I have a hard time picture Mitch doing it, and we know that Cal is taking the entire staff with him to Arkansas
Well, not the entire staff. He did decide to make at least one upgrade by replacing Welch and that ridiculous offense with the young genius mind of wanted, not given Brad Calipari!

Well, not the entire staff. He did decide to make at least one upgrade by replacing Welch and that ridiculous offense with the young genius mind of wanted, not given Brad Calipari!
Haha I think you're using sarcasm, but just in case, it was reported Welch wasn't returning to UK/Cal's staff even if Cal stayed at UK - he was going out to coach with his buddy (Vance) as Fresno St

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
If you go to the UK job site you'll see 5 men's basketball positions listed. Two of those are for "Coaching Associates" which are largely admin jobs, with expiration date of 4/21 listed and three are for "Assistant Coach" with expiration date listed as 4/17. Pope knows who's coming, who he's offered and who has accepted, just not announced yet. I'm sure these guys are already working at some level.

I'm assuming that was an exaggeration, but I'm also sure they are casting a pretty wide net out of necessity because they need to fill slots fast and make sure we don't have a lapse where some good players get snatched up. I'm sure these next couple of weeks will be pretty busy and active. There's still a couple of weeks left for kids to enter the portal. But casting a wide net keeps our name in players heads and maybe delays a few kids decisions, while allowing us to hone in on the best fits.

I won't pretend to be an NCAA Sanctions officer - but if those recruits were already committed to Cal, is it wrong for him to be in contact with them either way?
Technically, they're not committed to Cal they signed NLI with the University of Kentucky. I get what you're saying but I refuse to acknowledge this sentiment anymore. Enough with a coach and certain players hijacking the program.

If you go to the UK job site you'll see 5 men's basketball positions listed. Two of those are for "Coaching Associates" which are largely admin jobs, with expiration date of 4/21 listed and three are for "Assistant Coach" with expiration date listed as 4/17. Pope knows who's coming, who he's offered and who has accepted, just not announced yet. I'm sure these guys are already working at some level.
Those are posted because of the stupid state law that says those jobs have to be posted for X number of days (I think something like 2 weeks) It's a formality, but they can't make any announcements until after those postings expire. So we won't hear any assistants names until after the 17th.

This is why I’m under the impression that Pope has verbal agreements about the staff and it just hasn’t been released yet due to waiting in the press conference etc.

Technically, they're not committed to Cal they signed NLI with the University of Kentucky. I get what you're saying but I refuse to acknowledge this sentiment anymore. Enough with a coach and certain players hijacking the program.
Technically Cal can't talk to them until they are released from their Letter of Intent. I don't think there is anything stopping the players from initiating the conversations before their release though. not sure about that.

Isn't Cal pretty well known though for having his players NOT sign NLI's? Don't they pursue some kind of alternate to an NLI?

Padgett is familiar with the SEC in breaking down film in his role at Mississippi State for Chris Jans. Highly important with his familiarity of coaches in the league and it would be beneficial to a new coach in the SEC like Pope. Checks a lot of boxes with HC experience, played for coaches like Pitino, Tubby, Jerry Sloan & Jeff Van Gundy. 8 years in the NBA and played overseas in Spain. Has a lot of experience at different levels in the game. Knows where these kids want to get to having been in their shoes, plus connections to the state.

Last edited:
Haha I think you're using sarcasm, but just in case, it was reported Welch wasn't returning to UK/Cal's staff even if Cal stayed at UK - he was going out to coach with his buddy (Vance) as Fresno St
I also thought it was interesting to see that John was able to get Riley a spot on the Fresno St. staff. That also might have been a selling point for the Welch's

Reactions: CatsFanIL
Padgett is familiar the SEC with breaking down film in his role at Mississippi State for Chris Jans. Highly important with his familiarity of coaches within the league and it would be beneficial to a new coach in the SEC like Pope. Checks a lot of boxes with HC experience, played for coaches like Pitino, Tubby, Jerry Sloan & Jeff Van Gundy. 8 years in the NBA and played overseas in Spain. Has a lot of experience at different levels in the game. Knows where these kids want to get to having been in their shoes, plus connections to the state.
As I've mentioned, Padgett has a son who is a walk-on OL at UK, maybe extra incentive to return.

Isn't Cal pretty well known though for having his players NOT sign NLI's? Don't they pursue some kind of alternate to an NLI?
Some of them used to sign “scholarship papers” back in the day that weren’t as binding, just in case Cal left. Brandon Knight did. I don’t think they’ve bothered with it in the last 7-8 years and NLIs are routinely granted releases these days.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT