ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Kiyaunta Goodwin?

jimmybuffet123

Freshman
Jun 22, 2011
I was wondering what ever happened to the young man. So much potential, but just doesn’t seem to be utilizing it.

Last article I could find was Sept 2023, saying he decided to sit out the year.

I was wondering what ever happened to the young man. So much potential, but just doesn’t seem to be utilizing it.

IIRC there was some serious illness in his family that took him away from playing. Far as I know he's out of football.

A great example of how recruiting is a very inexact science. Pretty much EVERYBODY offered Goodwin who looked like a dominant OT in the making. For a variety of reasons, he didn't make much of an impression at UK, transferred and treaded water (FL?) and then, due to family issues, basically quit football. His heart seems in the right place choosing family over football. I have no hard feelings whatsoever about him. Wonder what his opportunities are now that football seems to be off the table. I'd guess not nearly as rosy but who knows?

A great example of how recruiting is a very inexact science. Pretty much EVERYBODY offered Goodwin who looked like a dominant OT in the making. For a variety of reasons, he didn't make much of an impression at UK, transferred and treaded water (FL?) and then, due to family issues, basically quit football. His heart seems in the right place choosing family over football. I have no hard feelings whatsoever about him. Wonder what his opportunities are now that football seems to be off the table. I'd guess not nearly as rosy but who knows?
There were rumors he was trying to get his classes in order to walk on at U6. May not be true. Mentally he wasn’t ready but according to an asst OLine coach physically he was ready. To play as a freshman

Reactions: bluecoon1
There were rumors he was trying to get his classes in order to walk on at U6. May not be true. Mentally he wasn’t ready but according to an asst OLine coach physically he was ready. To play as a freshman
Don't know if true but had heard he had weight problems as a young teen, frequently topping out over 400 pounds, then went to the gym in Louisville where he seemed to turn a corner, led to scholarship offers from everywhere culminating with UK signing him. But after arriving at UK the S&C program never took hold, he transferred out, then the family health problems arose. I'd like to see the light come on for the guy, don't care where he ends up as long as he takes advantage of the opportunities presented to him. I think he needs JUCO time if he wants to get back on the field.

He did play at UK, was on the XP/FG unit as a true frosh. If you think back to that time, UK had several kicks blocked, many came thru him.

Hate that for him, got to keep mine for 51 years and that wasn't enough. Is he still at Louisville trying to play, transfer again or just give it up?
I haven’t seen any updates on him since last year, doesn’t look like he has posted on IG or X since the passing of his mother.

That's too bad, even if football didn't work out for him that degree would have been priceless for him.
That was the intent of my posting above. Would like to see him at a JUCO, taking advantage of tremendous physical gifts to get his education. He still has time.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
That was the intent of my posting above. Would like to see him at a JUCO, taking advantage of tremendous physical gifts to get his education. He still has time.

I remember he was a huge win for UK on the recruiting trail.

On a different note, I have looked for a thread about Sydney and haven't seen one so I will say it here. Pre race the 400 hurdles was built as a show down between her and Bol. And it looked like it would be in the qualifying heats. Then the finals came and Sydney not only broke her own world record, she broke Bol who tried to stay with her. So much in fact that Bol dropped to third and came close to not medaling. Most dominant performer on the track imo. And the girl that won the 100H is also a UK girl I believe. Quite the Olympics for UK female hurdlers.

Not sure where I read this but I believe the last known whereabouts for him was at Ford Motor Company in Louisville. Not sure if it’s the big truck plant or LAP.

I remember he was a huge win for UK on the recruiting trail.

On a different note, I have looked for a thread about Sydney and haven't seen one so I will say it here. Pre race the 400 hurdles was built as a show down between her and Bol. And it looked like it would be in the qualifying heats. Then the finals came and Sydney not only broke her own world record, she broke Bol who tried to stay with her. So much in fact that Bol dropped to third and came close to not medaling. Most dominant performer on the track imo. And the girl that won the 100H is also a UK girl I believe. Quite the Olympics for UK female hurdlers.
She broke Bol so bad that after the 400H, Bol was bawling to her parents over her poorer than expected performance.

I believe Syd would have won the 400 flat also, but she didn't want it interfering. Think she'll do more 400f in the future with eye to doing both in LA as long as schedule doesn't interfere with hurdles. She is generational talent, maybe better. Humble to boot. Would like to see do either some 200 or 800 too just to see her versatility.

His mom was battling cancer and it wasn't looking good for her. So he left Florida went home to be with her until she passed away.

That's what most kids do who love there moms.

From Florida's camp they said he was looking good on the line.
To me he did not fail or disappoint because he was a true freshman here and left after his true freshman season.
Most all true freshman do not contribute anything of significance there first year in power 5 football. Lot of lineman don't do much until there redshirt junior years

She broke Bol so bad that after the 400H, Bol was bawling to her parents over her poorer than expected performance.

I believe Syd would have won the 400 flat also, but she didn't want it interfering. Think she'll do more 400f in the future with eye to doing both in LA as long as schedule doesn't interfere with hurdles. She is generational talent, maybe better. Humble to boot. Would like to see do either some 200 or 800 too just to see her versatility.

I know I watched 2 weeks of different events waiting for her to run. In all of the events shown, I thought she was the most outstanding female athlete in track and field. I would say male or female, but the shot putter beating 2nd lace

for his 3g medal by over 2 feet was pretty impressive too.

But tremendous olympics by her, her leg on relay broke that race open too.

I believe she could have won the 400 flat too. As for the other events, her and Gabby would be interesting, I think she would be very competitive in the 800, maybe world record holder, 100 is a different animal, would have to see her run one to form an opinion.

Bol who seems like a good person too made a mistake. In all her races she has always started under control and finished strong. but the finals she went with Sydney and pace was too fast for her, cost her the silver. But I like the girl that got the silver.

His mom was battling cancer and it wasn't looking good for her. So he left Florida went home to be with her until she passed away.

That's what most kids do who love there moms.

From Florida's camp they said he was looking good on the line.
To me he did not fail or disappoint because he was a true freshman here and left after his true freshman season.
Most all true freshman do not contribute anything of significance there first year in power 5 football. Lot of lineman don't do much until there redshirt junior years
Kids do weird stuff all the time, but why did he leave UK to go to Florida if his mom was sick?

Kids do weird stuff all the time, but why did he leave UK to go to Florida if his mom was sick?

Maybe had no choice, scholarships are for 1 year. Or could have been he didn't want to work as hard as UK demanded. UF has 2 OL coaches, one of them spent a couple years at UGA under Mark Richt and was terrible, couldn't recruit or develope the guys he could sign. He was the first assistant Kirby told to find something else. So maybe he thought it would be easier, it was pretty clear looking at the round stomachs on their linemen conditioning was a priority.

Maybe had no choice, scholarships are for 1 year. Or could have been he didn't want to work as hard as UK demanded. UF has 2 OL coaches, one of them spent a couple years at UGA under Mark Richt and was terrible, couldn't recruit or develope the guys he could sign. He was the first assistant Kirby told to find something else. So maybe he thought it would be easier, it was pretty clear looking at the round stomachs on their linemen conditioning was a priority.
His handler pushed him to leave. His handler bumped heads with Stoops and I’m sure thought he would transfer to U6 but they supposedly didn’t want him. His handler played there

I’d guess he’s big and fat,and reliving glory days stories, somewhere.

Especially triggered when he’s getting a beer and someone notices he’s huge and asks, “bro how big are you? Did you play like football and stuff man?”

His handler pushed him to leave. His handler bumped heads with Stoops and I’m sure thought he would transfer to U6 but they supposedly didn’t want him. His handler played there
[
After Goodwin his handler closed his faculty and is no longer heard from.

Handlers are one of the biggest problems in college athletics. Just leeches that have attached themselves to a kid who has a chance to hit it big wanting their cut. Lots of the kids come from backgrounds that have no clue how to handle the business end of recruiting. Then one of these leeches comes alone, has no clue either, doesn't care if kid will be happy, just grab the most they can grab.

Oh well, if the Ford story is true I guess there worse ways to make a living.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT