ADVERTISEMENT

What do you hate most about your job

Working from home and being able to make my own hours to a certain extent.

Feeling like I am somewhat overpaid for what I do.

Having a job that is relatively stress free and a manager that I get along with.

Hate my life most days, having to spend next week in SoCal on the company dime is not helping.

if you in socal next week, i will beer you.

I work with an honest to goodness real life Dwight shrute and it is not as fun as Jim made it seem like

Reactions: WayneDougan
That even though I work for a multi billion dollar company, the number one thing the jackhole that runs the building i work in worries about is if you're holding the damn handrail when you go up the steps. Seriously, this idiot has security people sitting at the top of the stairs sometimes making notes about how many people are holding the handrail. It's like being in freaking kindergarden.

Let me guess: oil and gas or manufacturing?

I'm very new at my current gig and really like it. Dealing with morning/afternoon rush hour traffic in Louisville is all I can come up with.

But my last job didn't give employees raises for 7 years and management took bonuses all 7 years. Company recently laid off 33 percent of its work force and is likely to not be open by next year.

I survived the layoffs, but quit two months after having my workload double with no increase in pay. They recently made me an offer to come back - a much better title ... and $10K less a year than the company I left them for. I said nah.

Getting hit (or swung at, I'm not half bad at dodging) by patients. Bodily fluids - being spat in the eye is worse than poop, especially if you've raised kids. Though patients who like to throw their colostomy bags are the worst - but thankfully rare.

we have this one bathroom where people just CANT SEEM TO GET IT RIGHT
I mean -- in the name of ALL THATS HOLY-- there was Mother-Trucking POLICE CAUTION TAPE AROUND THE INFAMOUS STALL #4 TODAY

POLICE TAPE !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mashburned
I love my job overall.

The worst part is supervising whiny, entitled, millennials.

I don't like to single out a generation but that is the common denominator for the complainers who want everything their way. Even though they are on the bottom of the totem pole.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I'm very new at my current gig and really like it. Dealing with morning/afternoon rush hour traffic in Louisville is all I can come up with.

But my last job didn't give employees raises for 7 years and management took bonuses all 7 years. Company recently laid off 33 percent of its work force and is likely to not be open by next year.

I survived the layoffs, but quit two months after having my workload double with no increase in pay. They recently made me an offer to come back - a much better title ... and $10K less a year than the company I left them for. I said nah.
Sounds like your old company is in a death spiral and circling the toilet bowl. I’d have to say you made the right choice in bailing out.

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaBlue05
I love my job but it's a government job so I hate the fact that pay is based on an HR determined algorithm rather than actual performance. You can put in 10 years of sh***y work and get paid more than someone who does 5 years of amazing work.

And since were dropping generational anecdotes, supervising boomers who are slow working and resistant to change because it's not "the way it's been done".

Not a thing since I retired four years ago. And Sawnee Cat is right, I need a 300 hour week to do all the things I want to do.

Spica Orbit

I love my job but it's a government job so I hate the fact that pay is based on an HR determined algorithm rather than actual performance. You can put in 10 years of sh***y work and get paid more than someone who does 5 years of amazing work.

And since were dropping generational anecdotes, supervising boomers who are slow working and resistant to change because it's not "the way it's been done".
HrFx.gif

IT is constantly moving. As an IT engineer I never have a day where I can just go into the job and be like "i have these things to do and I know exactly how to do them"

No. I get there and it's like.. Ok these things are broken and we have no idea how to fix them.

We get it done. You read up on it. You tinker with it. You hit with a wrench until it works. But man.. That weighs on you after a while. I'm envious of jobs that have a portion of monotony to them.
This, but at the same time I really like this aspect as well. After 20 years in IT I have either learned to be more patient or learned to value my drinking time more.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
This, but at the same time I really like this aspect as well. After 20 years in IT I have either learned to be more patient or learned to value my drinking time more.

There are some fun aspects of that, for certain. Always learning. I just don't know how people can do it with a family. My GF still doesn't quite understand why I have to keep my ringer on overnight some weeks.

Today alone I'm reading about our External Email filter, .NET versions, Moving exchange from 2010 to 2016 (and that's a cluster eff in and of itself), AWS VCP's, Cisco Conferencing equipment.. not even 3 hours in. Just doesn't stop.

I think by the time I'm 40 I'd like to be out of IT. I'll go be a bartender or something with a bit more repetition. Old Fashions have been made the same way for nearly a century.. I like that!

Reactions: homeytheclown
There are some fun aspects of that, for certain. Always learning. I just don't know how people can do it with a family. My GF still doesn't quite understand why I have to keep my ringer on overnight some weeks.

Today alone I'm reading about our External Email filter, .NET versions, Moving exchange from 2010 to 2016 (and that's a cluster eff in and of itself), AWS VCP's, Cisco Conferencing equipment.. not even 3 hours in. Just doesn't stop.

I think by the time I'm 40 I'd like to be out of IT. I'll go be a bartender or something with a bit more repetition. Old Fashions have been made the same way for nearly a century.. I like that!

Thank you for your service.

PS2V7lR.png

I thought the same 10 years ago...over time I think you just get more comfortable with it. I'm over forty and I'll be in IT or Information Security until I can retire (young). Kids are almost grown and out so I guess we made it through that part without the uptime robot ruining our lives.

P.S. People are designed to be always learning so if you aren't doing it in IT you should keep doing that part regardless.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Writing new SOP and then filling out an exhaustive PI form for every small change made to our processes.

Margie the martyr...too busy all the time and cries when she’s asked to do anything. Always asks for help and everyone else in her role seems to manage just fine. I pray that she quits

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT