ADVERTISEMENT

Careful What you ask for!!

I would think that the excitement of a new coach would energize NIL donations and offset any recruiting deficiencies. Also, if the new coach has a good recruiting class and players at his current school there would be the same possibility of him bringing players with him just like Cal taking players with him. The talk of doom and gloom in the NIL transfer, portal days is overstated imho..

When Cal came to UK, he brought almost all his recruits! I believe Reed, Z, and DJ will return if Cal returns. I also believe that most of his recruits will go where he goes. Cal will not quit coaching; he will have to prove he still has it and to help young men to NBA! He might even end up at Loserville just to make a point. Unfortunately, other than Pitino and Pearl those are the only guaranteed built for the job and Mitch will not hire either. Tough situation!!!

I’m just curious, Mitch Barnhart wouldn’t happen to attend your church, would he?

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
Oh it can still get way worse. We can be irrelevant going into post season with no chance of winning. Atleast now we are a 2 and 3 seed with a hope. Try not making the tournament a few years and see how that feels
Apparently you haven’t looked at our record in tourneys high seeds or not the last 5 years, in those years we made it into the tourney. Hell we can even win games in the SEC tourney.

Bob doesn’t watch games - we don’t start our best players- we don’t have a second defense -we are horrible at baseline out of bounds plays on both offense and defense. We have 3 seven footers and none of them are any good because of lack of coaching. why would you want this guy back?

Reactions: know1
If Cal were to leave and take all of his recruits with him, let them go. We need kids that want to play at Kentucky, not the university of Cal, besides not everyone would go, Reed Sheppard would not leave, I’m sure several others would stay.

Reactions: TFCats11 and know1
When Cal came to UK, he brought almost all his recruits! I believe Reed, Z, and DJ will return if Cal returns. I also believe that most of his recruits will go where he goes. Cal will not quit coaching; he will have to prove he still has it and to help young men to NBA! He might even end up at Loserville just to make a point. Unfortunately, other than Pitino and Pearl those are the only guaranteed built for the job and Mitch will not hire either. Tough situation!!!
So you are perfectly fine with 10 loss seasons. No SEC tourney wins. Getting embarrassed on national TV because UK loses to some team that no one has heard of or has to look up where they are located. If you seriously think no coach out there couldn't at the minimum replicate that then you are foolish. I don't care about 5 star players. What have they gotten us? Give me the three stars that play for the name on the front and that leave everything they have out on the court. That is UK basketball. Oh, and Reed is not coming back. LOL, the kid is projected to go in the top of the draft and you want him to come back. That goes against everything dear lord Cal preaches. Z isn't coming back either. Why would he? He was the best big we had and he rarely got off the bench. DJ most certainly isn't coming back to UK. We the fans spent most of the season saying he shouldn't be starting so why would he come back to that? By the way, he shouldn't have been starting over Dilly and or Reed. So man up take the L for a year or 2 allow the new coach to rebuild the program and then sit back and enjoy.

Reactions: know1
cheers GIF by South Park

Didn't Cal coach in the world university games or under 19 games or something like that a few years after becoming Kentucky's coach? Anyways, that team underperformed and got knocked out early. I think it actually costed him his chance to coach the Olympic team. It was actually a sign that even if you have a talented team but your in-game coaching is lacking then the results are you're going to get beat. That was a sign for us Kentucky fans I believe. We just overlooked it.

Not having returning players is a bad deal. But I think it would be easy to find 6 players from the portal for next year who impact winning college games more than the 6 recruits coming in. Assuming you had a guy who could recruit the top transfers and right pieces.

You're exactly right!! I thought the same thing. All we did all night long was fan the ball outside the 3 point line because we were clueless on how to attack a basic zone defense!!! Coaching malpractice at its finest!!!!
Now, I don't think having to get 6 guys from the portal is an ideal situation because most of them are OAD too. And you'd be right back to not building any continuity or core of upperclassmen - which I think you need to be a consistently top team. And I give Calipari credit for recruiting some core pieces (i.e., not likely OAD program builder guys) last year and with the incoming recruits he signed for next season - BUT he has to be able to retain them and develop them (and I don't know if he has enough interest in doing that or not).
The most common sense post I've seen so far. You need upper classmen that have played together longer than one season.

Reactions: G-PIP
He recruited some of those kids for years.
I’m sure the new coach will have players that he’s recruited for years, particularly if it’s Drew, He has 3 five stars coming in according to rivals and VJ is better than anyone coming in. Would have to figure that they would follow as well as some current players.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
I’m sure the new coach will have players that he’s recruited for years, particularly if it’s Drew, He has 3 five stars coming in according to rivals and VJ is better than anyone coming in. Would have to figure that they would follow as well as some current players.
I don't know that "have to figure." Isn't he supposed to be a kind of heavily pious sort? Thou Shalt Not Poach.

Bob doesn’t watch games - we don’t start our best players- we don’t have a second defense -we are horrible at baseline out of bounds plays on both offense and defense. We have 3 seven footers and none of them are any good because of lack of coaching. why would you want this guy back?
I never said I want him back. I just know Reed is not going to the NBA yet. If Cal retires, he stays at UK, if he coaches, Reed will go with. That is the only statement I made. And yes, I am a Pastor and have been A BIG Blue Fan for over 75 years, Even served on Pitino's staff when he was there. He left because UK would not spend money to stay ahead of competition. Unlike most of you I have seen this act before. Sometimes they turn out good (Pitino) sometimes they don't like Billy, Eddie, Tubby. Plus, I don't think we the caliber of coach we need is out there they have all left the sport because of NIL 6-year seniors Ect. Ect. We can compete for freshman Nil, but we are in the minor leagues on NIL for transfer players, thanks to Mitch being late to the party. Plus, my concern is this board has become so toxic that most don't realize that has had an effect on Cal and will have an effect on coaches considering the job. Like most of you I think Cal needs to leave just like Rick did when he couldn't get along with AD, Cal only succeeded when Peavey was his go between with Mitch. Most don't realize that is the problem. Oh Yeh, Pastors can watch basketball, and I pray daily for decency and manners to come back to this board.

Apparently you haven’t looked at our record in tourneys high seeds or not the last 5 years, in those years we made it into the tourney. Hell we can even win games in the SEC tourney.
Yea but you still had ton of hope and chance at winning. A 2 seed and 3 seed is still pretty good.
Hindsight isn't the same

So you are telling me that UK fans should be worried about LOSING a coach that has gone 2-10 in the Post season over the last 4 seasons, has a 42% winning percentage against RANKED opponents and has lost to NUMEROUS mid-major programs over the past 5 seasons, including 2 schools(ST Peters and Oakland) that were basically DII programs in the FREAKIN 1st round of the NCAA Tournament??!!!

I BEG TO DIFFER!!!!

Him going to Louisville would be the BEST thing that could happen to UK and it's fans!!!! Please Cal GO!!!!!!
Never underestimate your opponent! Keep that as a life lesson!

• Haha
Reactions: catben
You are correct. Cal sabotaged Memphis when he left and will sabotage us too. Want him to do it now or later? Want to get a new coach now or later?
How the hell did Cal sabotage Memphis when he left? He took his recruiting class with him, which 99% of coaches would do. They didn't want to play for Memphis, they wanted to play for Cal. That's how it works these days, players play for coaches not programs.

we’ve had the best talent every year and he chokes it away every year.
If you go look at actual analytics we don't have the best talent every year. We have the best prospects who may be good in three years, but not the best current players. We had two guys this year in the top 100 in combined offensive and defensive efficiency. Almost every other top 4 seed had at least four players in the top 100.

We obviously should have beaten Oakland, but the higher seeded teams we needed to go through in our region have better college talent than we do.

And that's the problem with Cal's system. It's a collection of NBA prospects, it's not even a collection of good college talent.

Shead controlled every aspect of Houston's game tonight. We don't even have a player who's close to that good at the college level.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
A lesson that I have learned a long time ago.. Hate gets you in hell! My adversary is the Devil! So,I have to watch!
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1 Corinthians 13:7

Jesus has conquered the adversary through love, we can be conquerors through Him!!!

Reactions: Fox2monk
Let me get this straight. That little bitch Cal has emptied our stables every single year for the past fifteen years straight except for that one time the NBA lockout cramped his style.

And now you want us to be afraid to fire his that’ll-be-another-nine-million-dollars-please ass because if we fire his see-what-I-did-there-ha-ha-you-people ass it could empty the stables.

Okay.

The stables will be empty.

So????????????
He makes a valid argument ^

Reactions: BlueSince92
Lol OP, surely you jest! No one, not even DJ, and ESPECIALLY not Sheppard, would want to play another second for the failed car salesman!

Cal basically middle fingered Sheppard all season long for bringing him off the bench! And no, this has nothing to do with minutes played, it’s the principle of it.

If Cal doesn’t take most of his recruits to another team, he can take Jay Wright’s spot in the booth doing commentary and reminding everyone every other minute how much his former players have made in the NBA.

Cal has only one five star recruit for next year. This is the lowest number of five star recruits since he came to KY . The other five or so are four star recruits . If most of those who are predicted to leave actually leave, then we will need to rely on the portal to even get to twenty wins. So with Cal or without Cal the portal and not recruitment of High School Kids will be the key.

Cal has only one five star recruit for next year. This is the lowest number of five star recruits since he came to KY . The other five or so are four star recruits . If most of those who are predicted to leave actually leave, then we will need to rely on the portal to even get to twenty wins. So with Cal or without Cal the portal and not recruitment of High School Kids will be the key.
Nope. Quaintance, Fland, Knox and Richmond are Rivals 5-star players.

Yea but you still had ton of hope and chance at winning. A 2 seed and 3 seed is still pretty good.
Hindsight isn't the same
False hope after about the 3rd year tho. It’s not like this developed over night. I get it, hindsight is always easier, but it is apparent the hope was false.

You had a hope of winning this year?
Yea. Maybe not the title but we were definitely amongst em. Saying you didn't isn't true. It's easy now to say that.
Going into Tennessee and Auburn and leading the whole game still happened. We had a great offensive team and pretty awful defensive

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT