ADVERTISEMENT

Careful What you ask for!!

Cals first year at UK he had SIX returning players from the final BCG experiment, so the cupboard was not totally bare!!
Those six averaged over 130-mpg, 45-ppg, 27-rbpg and 10-astpg in 2008/09!!!

I wouldn't argue over whether or not UK has had the best talent. Maybe they have, and regardless they've had a ton of talent. But I don't agree that UK has had the best CBB players. Better players beat better talent. The older players, the All-American & All-Conference types are more productive and have a bigger impact on winning championships. UK has had a couple of those lately, e.g., Tshiebwe and Reeves, but not enough other tough enough winning pieces to help them. I actually think UK should have only one (1) more title with the rosters they've had, and that is the 2015 38-1 team. That's obviously still a coaching problem (at UK Calipari could mostly construct whatever type of roster he wants). Plus, I don't think Calipari is going to get it done in this period of CBB regardless of his roster. It's just time to move on.
Agree but my argument is to counter anyone who doesn’t want to lose Cal because that means losing 5* recruits. That’s all I was saying.

Interesting situation. Cal always preached that if youre a lottery pick you're not coming back, but Reed loved UK like we do. I think Cal returns for 1 last season with either Reed or Dilly. But if Cal goes, we're going to be like Marshall football and it'll be a full rebuild from the ground.
Reed has a chance to come back. 0% on Rob his stock is too high not to. The only thing saving reed is the massive NIL he would get in addition to being UK blood. Rob doesn't have that (in his blood) and even in the case of reed it's probably not enough if he can get selected where he's projected.
I would welcome both back and be ecstatic obviously but I could also walk outside get struck by lightening, live, go buy a Powerball ticket and win that too. I mean theoretically it's possible no matter how small the percentage I just don't see it though.

Reactions: Fox2monk
When Cal came to UK, he brought almost all his recruits! I believe Reed, Z, and DJ will return if Cal returns. I also believe that most of his recruits will go where he goes. Cal will not quit coaching; he will have to prove he still has it and to help young men to NBA! He might even end up at Loserville just to make a point. Unfortunately, other than Pitino and Pearl those are the only guaranteed built for the job and Mitch will not hire either. Tough situation!!!
You make it seem like Cal is the only coach who has recruits that commit to him. If Kentucky hires another coach, wouldn't it be reasonable to think some of their recruits or hell even their current college players transfer here in the portal era? I think so! This isn't 2009. The transfer portal makes a rebuild process less strenuous and if done right, can turn a team around on a dime.

Agree but my argument is to counter anyone who doesn’t want to lose Cal because that means losing 5* recruits. That’s all I was saying.
Or, what coach is going to come in and do a better job and not set UK back several more years. I am not impressed with the coaching possibilities out there right now. Our disdain is so high for Cal are we willing to settle for a unproven coach? Buying another coach out in 3 years. I wouldn't be so concerned if there was coaches out there that were proven and not a few years away from retirement, the pickings are slim. I know things are bad by UK standards, but I don't want to be another IU or UofL, after many years, still trying to find the right guy.

Let me get this straight. That little bitch Cal has emptied our stables every single year for the past fifteen years straight except for that one time the NBA lockout cramped his style.

And now you want us to be afraid to fire his that’ll-be-another-nine-million-dollars-please ass because if we fire his see-what-I-did-there-ha-ha-you-people ass it could empty the stables.

Okay.

The stables will be empty.

So????????????

When Cal came to UK, he brought almost all his recruits! I believe Reed, Z, and DJ will return if Cal returns. I also believe that most of his recruits will go where he goes. Cal will not quit coaching; he will have to prove he still has it and to help young men to NBA! He might even end up at Loserville just to make a point. Unfortunately, other than Pitino and Pearl those are the only guaranteed built for the job and Mitch will not hire either. Tough situation!!!
I don't see z returning. He seemed like he could see the bs going on

Reactions: chroix
Oh no we won’t win any tournament games if that happens ……
Oh it can still get way worse. We can be irrelevant going into post season with no chance of winning. Atleast now we are a 2 and 3 seed with a hope. Try not making the tournament a few years and see how that feels

ROTFLMAO

Shouldnt it be careful what you wish for to those that wanted Cal to return this year? People wanted Cal to return this year, wished he'd not be fired or pushed out so we could have a better recruiting class along with Adou, Ugo and Reeves coming back ....... And yet 23-10 .. tied for 2nd with 3 other teams in the SEC.... first round loss in both tournaments.

If you wish for Cal back....... like this year, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR
This needs to be pinned at the top of the board, spread through every available channel of social media, and printed in every newspaper (still printing) in KY.

Granted, my gut is telling me he’ll be back next year, but this is what I said at the end of last year to my son that tried to use the returning kids and incoming recruits were worth keeping Cal another year. It doesn’t matter who stays or who we’re bringing in; we still have Cal to coach them…and look at what we got! 🙄

So what you are saying is that anytime that Calipari has a top 1 or 2 recruiting class. That we've got to let him come back to coach them or they might go some where else? So based on that he's here for ever. And as far as only Pitino & Pearl being the only 2 people that could handle the UK job, PLEASE......Jay Wright as calm as he is in front of a camera would fit the UK job like a glove. Billy Donovan is used to the media, like Wright he would have no problem dealing with the spotlight that goes with being the UK basketball coach...... If the recruits want to go somewhere else if Calipari is fired, then let them go. If we suffer for the 1st year of a new coach that's fine with me. We've got to get someone else in here to rebuild this mess that Calipari has made.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
You are correct. Cal sabotaged Memphis when he left and will sabotage us too. Want him to do it now or later? Want to get a new coach now or later?
Exactly, every year Cal is here extends the pain unless, however unlikely, he convinces some "productive" players to return.

What coach has taken a school on year 1 and made them great (besides Cal) that

That's basically become an irrelevant question considering how much the rules of roster construction have TOTALLY changed in this new NIL/transfer portal era. The standards of the past don't really apply to this new game.

Coaches no longer rebuild as much as “reload” now with the transfer portal and NIL to work with. It’s now possible to completely redo your roster in just one off-season to a degree that was inconceivable in the past.

I have no doubt a new coach will be able top put together a competitive roster next year. It ain't gonna win a title, but that's not gonna happen anyways even if we keep Cal. The first year transition pains are gonna happen no matter what whenever we eventually change coaches. So we might as well get them out of the way now.

I’m willing to endure a down year in exchange for new long term excitement. I’ll support that situation right now. This mentality has held Kentucky hostage for at least three years now and look what the fear factor of losing one recruiting class has produced. First round, round of 32 first round. Will we really be losing anything?

Interesting situation. Cal always preached that if youre a lottery pick you're not coming back, but Reed loved UK like we do. I think Cal returns for 1 last season with either Reed or Dilly. But if Cal goes, we're going to be like Marshall football and it'll be a full rebuild from the ground.
Not necessarily but even if it is the transfer portal makes a rebuild easy if you know what you are doing. Otzelberger at Iowa State took a team that won 2 games the year before and made the NCAAs his first season.

I see what you're saying, but you're missing the point... He's proven that all these five stars do nothing in March.

A new coach will get recruits... (We're still Kentucky, the gold standard. That wasn't Cal, it was the school.). However, it won't just be about recruits like he's made us believe. A new coach will look at transfers, and four star recruits, and develop a new system that will have a better chance at winning.

Stop looking at things through a Cal lens about only recruits. He's fooled us all into thinking that way.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
WTF….

The current state of the program is a complete all systems failure. We literally have NOTHING to lose or fear with a coaching change. It quite literally can’t get worse.

What a dumb post.
Tell that to UofL and IU, they would trade their problems for ours in a heartbeat.

Your several years late bub

Not really, I believe the odds anyone good returns is slim to none. If Sheppard’s draft stock stays this high there is no way he returns to me. 15 years of Cal tells me so
Yeah really, I personally rather lose with a losing team and Coach then an amazing team with a poor coach. If we're gonna suck may as well make sure to not have any hope of the kids playing better than the coach wants them to. Oh wait that happened all year already didn't it haha Cow couldn't stand Wagner Edwards and Bradshaw get showed up ALL year. So he sank the ship in the name of his freshman class. So f off cow.

Thats about the way I feel too. I am so tired of this toxic situation that I could live with 1-2 years of not even making the tourney if thats what it takes to get things back on track.
We won't miss the tournament. We literally could not do worse than we have the last few years. Not with UK's resources. Anybody with a pulse could do better than Cal has for several years now. I can't fathom what people are so afraid of.

Reactions: Fox2monk and UK90
ROTFLMAO

Shouldnt it be careful what you wish for to those that wanted Cal to return this year? People wanted Cal to return this year, wished he'd not be fired or pushed out so we could have a better recruiting class along with Adou, Ugo and Reeves coming back ....... And yet 23-10 .. tied for 2nd with 3 other teams in the SEC.... first round loss in both tournaments.

If you wish for Cal back....... like this year, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR
No longer are the days of a team progressing over a period of 3-4 years. It used to be a championship team would make the EE, FF the next year and then a championship the year after. Now you can go from not making the tournament to winning the championship the very next season.

You could give him. The 92 nba dream team and we still would not win a sec or tourney and another early exit from the ncaa cal is a choker and can't coach quit giving this guy a revolving door

strike youre out GIF by Gwinnett Stripers

No, but it's just a concern, and a scenario that could happen, because there are not any home run hires. Remember Kentucky is not for everyone.

Sounds good. Let’s stick with status quo out of fear. Sounds like a perfect strategy to accomplish…nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT