ADVERTISEMENT

Careful What you ask for!!

Feb 4, 2004
When Cal came to UK, he brought almost all his recruits! I believe Reed, Z, and DJ will return if Cal returns. I also believe that most of his recruits will go where he goes. Cal will not quit coaching; he will have to prove he still has it and to help young men to NBA! He might even end up at Loserville just to make a point. Unfortunately, other than Pitino and Pearl those are the only guaranteed built for the job and Mitch will not hire either. Tough situation!!!

When Cal came to UK, he brought almost all his recruits! I believe Reed, Z, and DJ will return if Cal returns. I also believe that most of his recruits will go where he goes. Cal will not quit coaching; he will have to prove he still has it and to help young men to NBA! He might even end up at Loserville just to make a point. Unfortunately, other than Pitino and Pearl those are the only guaranteed built for the job and Mitch will not hire either. Tough situation!!!
Not really, I believe the odds anyone good returns is slim to none. If Sheppard’s draft stock stays this high there is no way he returns to me. 15 years of Cal tells me so

Interesting situation. Cal always preached that if youre a lottery pick you're not coming back, but Reed loved UK like we do. I think Cal returns for 1 last season with either Reed or Dilly. But if Cal goes, we're going to be like Marshall football and it'll be a full rebuild from the ground.

Reactions: bIhawk and Fox2monk
oh well

Maybe you and Drew can discuss religion when he arrives on campus.

Wrong on every point. That is pretty hard to do. Impressive effort.

Interesting situation. Cal always preached that if youre a lottery pick you're not coming back, but Reed loved UK like we do. I think Cal returns for 1 last season with either Reed or Dilly. But if Cal goes, we're going to be like Marshall football and it'll be a full rebuild from the ground.
Dilly ain’t coming back. He’s 100% ready for NBA style offense and they can teach him better defensive principles and hide him better.

You are correct. Cal sabotaged Memphis when he left and will sabotage us too. Want him to do it now or later? Want to get a new coach now or later?

If that's what it takes to get rid of Cal then.......
terminator-t800.gif

12 posts in 20 years.

Looks legit.

Oh no we won’t win any tournament games if that happens ……

ROTFLMAO

Shouldnt it be careful what you wish for to those that wanted Cal to return this year? People wanted Cal to return this year, wished he'd not be fired or pushed out so we could have a better recruiting class along with Adou, Ugo and Reeves coming back ....... And yet 23-10 .. tied for 2nd with 3 other teams in the SEC.... first round loss in both tournaments.

If you wish for Cal back....... like this year, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR

Last edited:
So you are telling me that UK fans should be worried about LOSING a coach that has gone 2-10 in the Post season over the last 4 seasons, has a 42% winning percentage against RANKED opponents and has lost to NUMEROUS mid-major programs over the past 5 seasons, including 2 schools(ST Peters and Oakland) that were basically DII programs in the FREAKIN 1st round of the NCAA Tournament??!!!

I BEG TO DIFFER!!!!

Him going to Louisville would be the BEST thing that could happen to UK and it's fans!!!! Please Cal GO!!!!!!

His recruits haven’t been getting it done. That’s a big part of the problem his roster construction sucks. So take it with him I don’t care.

Well obviously the genius of his posts tires him out so he can only provide his wisdom every so often.

Neither you or I can even fathom the toll that kind of genius takes on your body.
You'd think that since he's a pastor, and with Palm Sunday tomorrow, he'd be busy prepping another inevitably incoherent sermon for his long-tortured congregation.

Perhaps you need to drop to your knees and start praying Bob........

Rebuilds shouldn’t take long in hoops with the right coach. Cal builds a new team every year.

This is the argument that makes me shake my head in disbelief the most. Talk about total pansy, scared of change, mentality.

Sure, his recruits (other than Perry) will follow him. That would have been an issue 5 years ago. But now with the portal, combined with whoever you hire bringing the majority of their class with them, you’re going tk have a competitive team.

If you go get a top 10 available coach, any of them are bringing in a top 25 recruiting class and multiple transfers in year 1 (inked within a minth after they sign)

Just because the recruits he wanted followed him from Memphis to Kentucky does not
mean they will all follow him from Kentucky to Northeast Upper State or Missouri.

This is the problem with fandom. People get too emotionally attached. You really believe that our program will just die off if Cal were to leave. Go look up UK basketball before Cal got here. Try Wikipedia. Pretty quick summary. Then look up our last 4 years under Cal.

New account. Pfft.

D
5 posts. ...........Pfft. DO YOUR DAMN JOB MITCH!
You made the mess, now clean it up.

Last edited:
This isn't football. 1 good coach and 5 or so solid transfers and you are in business.

Not having returning players is a bad deal. But I think it would be easy to find 6 players from the portal for next year who impact winning college games more than the 6 recruits coming in. Assuming you had a guy who could recruit the top transfers and right pieces.

Now, I don't think having to get 6 guys from the portal is an ideal situation because most of them are OAD too. And you'd be right back to not building any continuity or core of upperclassmen - which I think you need to be a consistently top team. And I give Calipari credit for recruiting some core pieces (i.e., not likely OAD program builder guys) last year and with the incoming recruits he signed for next season - BUT he has to be able to retain them and develop them (and I don't know if he has enough interest in doing that or not).

Not really, I believe the odds anyone good returns is slim to none. If Sheppard’s draft stock stays this high there is no way he returns to me. 15 years of Cal tells me so
Reed is not like all of the NBA or bust guys. He values his friends and family. I believe he will return. Just hope he gets a real coach to improve under

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?!?!

we’ve had the best talent every year and he chokes it away every year. Even going back to the early years, the fact that we have just 1 title is insane.
I wouldn't argue over whether or not UK has had the best talent. Maybe they have, and regardless they've had a ton of talent. But I don't agree that UK has had the best CBB players. Better players beat better talent. The older players, the All-American & All-Conference types are more productive and have a bigger impact on winning championships. UK has had a couple of those lately, e.g., Tshiebwe and Reeves, but not enough other tough enough winning pieces to help them. I actually think UK should have only one (1) more title with the rosters they've had, and that is the 2015 38-1 team. That's obviously still a coaching problem (at UK Calipari could mostly construct whatever type of roster he wants). Plus, I don't think Calipari is going to get it done in this period of CBB regardless of his roster. It's just time to move on.

The NIL and how it affects the new portal these days are a different animal!!
I think alot of these transfers who would be good college players but are marginal in the NBA route are primarily looking for #1 their max money now, #2 a promise of starting or big minutes, #3 a chance of tourney exposure and #4 college market location.
I don't believe it's as simple as getting four players from the portal who played different systems/ styles and expect them to succeed.
A coach needs a track record of individual and team success to earn the trust with transfers!!
I don't think that is an old-dog like Cal's forte.

What coach has taken a school on year 1 and made them great (besides Cal) that started from ground zero?
So we go through 1-2 years without a sweet 16? We are there now brother. Rebuilding each year with no postseason success as it is. The portal has changed how all this works. You never know, we may build an actual team and not just a collection of potential talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT