ADVERTISEMENT

What changes do you want to see from Stoops next season?

I'm hoping he finally gets better with time management.

I see this a lot. Can you elaborate on what you see as a problem.

I know he has been driven through the coals on decisions to not risk anything at end of half’s, but I honestly don’t remember a time since he has been here we run out of time.

Could say the Florida game, but time management was good with ball, to get into fog range before a penalty.

Can you give an example where we have had bad time management that cost us a game?

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Seems pretty simple to me, just be perfect in everything you do, we really need to cut down on the negativity about our coaching staff that some make it seem like the staff will be lucky to survive the next week.

Of course then the trolls would have to work overtime finding out something to criticize, you know, game decisions, demeanor, never giving an input to any of the other coaches, convincing recruits that he will be here next week, the way he parts his hair, you know, all the little details.

Of course he could just hire the new assistant to do nothing but read this site and do everything like our posters want it done.

I see this a lot. Can you elaborate on what you see as a problem.

I know he has been driven through the coals on decisions to not risk anything at end of half’s, but I honestly don’t remember a time since he has been here we run out of time.

Could say the Florida game, but time management was good with ball, to get into fog range before a penalty.

Can you give an example where we have had bad time management that cost us a game?
what-if-i-told-you-this-thread-went-over-your-head.jpg

It has to be defensive side of ball to be better fundamentally throughout a game.
- LBers play your gaps and assignments in run game without so much free lancing. In passing game the LBer need to make way more plays in coverage which is "doing just your job" on underneath coverage.
- DBs...play your assignments with more discipline. If we're in a Cover 3, our single high safety has to read it very well in the back and the under safety needs to cover his areas underneath way better (Darius West)
- DL..explode off snap of ball and make penetration more often.

I feel like our back 7 on defense the past two years have just run around w/o discipline and it kills us thru a full year.

He needs to read this message board experts evaluations and follow their council.
Forget about all those years experience of playing and coach and pay attention to those here with high post counts and likes.
Why are you acting like Stoops' coaching is flawless and above reproach? :confused:

It doesn't take Knute Rockne to spot the blunders...

Several things:

Stop playing not to lose when KY has a 2nd half lead.

Less micromanagement of the program. I don’t know if his tendency to micromanage has been a big factor in some of the poor fundamentals displayed at certain positions throughout his tenure, but I suspect he’s overruling his assistants’ teaching
And player development methods at times. And not in a good way.

Reduce the number of times he says “No excuses. We have to get better.” As Yoda said, “Do. Or Do Not. There is no try.”

Be a little more of a hardass on the players that misbehave. As much as I root for all of Kentucky’s players, there really aren’t any excuses for behavior like we witnessed by a few players in the Louisville game. CMS needs to set an example by showing little tolerance for players that can’t check their emotions when they get too high.

Utilize the tight ends in the offense more.

Better fundamentals shown by the cornerbacks.

More frequent speed drills for the WRs. They couldn’t get separation from opposing CBs very often last year and consistently practicing speed drills can help solve this issue.

Faster starts, especially against the big underdog opponents.

More opportunities to engage fans (what about offering a men’s football clinic? It would be great to hear from the coaches what they are emphasizing with their player development, areas in which the team is strong and how they plan to exploit that strength, areas in which the team is weak and how they plan to correct/hide it, etc.)

A few things come to mind. I hope we develop a philosophy-still unsure what our offensive and defensive strategies are. I believe this hurts us in recruiting-how am I going to be used if I go there? What’s the scheme?

Mental toughness….it’s not the what, but the how. Being able to go from play to play/stay in the moment and being able to focus. Being excellent is the ability to do common things with uncommon discipline and enthusiasm. We can’t get caught up in distractions that have nothing to do with the moment/ play/ game…etc. Coach must practice this in order to pass along to the team.

I'd like to see our sideline operations get better. Our communication get better. I'd like to see us more effective in all areas-eliminate penalties, eliminate negative plays, tackle better, better leverage and play entry, better gap control, improving our technique and our efficiency in everything we do. There is no one specific. There are a whole bunch of variables we want to improve on

Better defensive line play, eliminate crazy odd plays like the two against Florida that cost us the game. Start fast and be aggressive, like maybe a fake punt or field goal sometimes.

No one said all the advice from here is "perfect", either.

Drop the strawmen arguments.

1) this staff is not above reproach
2) coaching/preparation/attention to detail mistakes happen in almost every game
3) it doesn't take bill belichick to see it
No one said all the advice from here is "perfect", either.

BB fans are such condescending idiots.
Welcome to the ignore club

Drop the strawmen arguments.

1) this staff is not above reproach
2) coaching/preparation/attention to detail mistakes happen in almost every game
3) it doesn't take bill belichick to see it

I take the question of the OP to be more about "football philosophy" rather than "football system or scheme". From that point of view I will say the same about Stoops as I do about most DCs that become HCs...they usually need a "better appreciation" of offensive football.

To that point, in his 5 years at UK, the Cats have exceeded the national median of plays per game only once, in 2014 when they were 1 game above the median.

And, FWIW, when "offensive guys" (e.g., Petrino) become HCs they usually need a better appreciation of defensive football. All JMO.

Peace

Like to see?
Control the passion. Time and place. Can't let five plays go south while still fuming about the bad call.
Team discipline on field. If you're most physically gifted guy is out of position and getting you personal fouls and bizarre behavior he isn't helping. Gotta find some way to get the reigns on the wild horse.
Recognizing opportunities to give different players reps. It's really bothersome to find out your quarterback played four blowouts...Miss State, Georgia, Vandy, Louisville....with two bad shoulders and a bad knee.
Coach, I admired the world out of Stephen, but if a guy with two bad arms and a bad knee is better than Hoak, we really got issues.

Show me one instance that clock management cost us a ballgame. I’m waiting.

Or find you another meme and post it to look cute and funny

Want me to give you a couple examples of good clock management?

Tennessee this season, miss state last season, South Carolina this season, Florida this season minus the penalty once we got in fg range for win with less than a minute left , Louisville last season

In the last two seasons once we ran out of time with the ball and a chance to win. That was ole miss this season. But clock management...... cause I read it on the internet

I want him to leave our DC in the locker room before the game starts so that we have a better chance of winning.

Reactions: THE_OAK
Figure out a way to get the defense playing as a unit. Good start moving Hood to coach the safeties. D has some talent but way to much room for wr to make plays. Dbs have to do a better job contesting catches in there areas

Reactions: GridCats
I agree with many on here who have stated our defense must take a big step forward. With Stoops being a defensive coach then for him to really be respected as a head guy then his D has to be a weapon. If the D does step up then they can turn the O loose and not be scared to death to throw the ball because it might mean the D will be back on the field quicker.

I'm hoping he finally gets better with time management.

To me the time management thing is an old problem that got better. I would like to see less penalties and better preparation for games Looking lost out of the gate has always drove me crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT