ADVERTISEMENT

What changes do you want to see from Stoops next season?

I take the question of the OP to be more about "football philosophy" rather than "football system or scheme". From that point of view I will say the same about Stoops as I do about most DCs that become HCs...they usually need a "better appreciation" of offensive football.

To that point, in his 5 years at UK, the Cats have exceeded the national median of plays per game only once, in 2014 when they were 1 game above the median.

And, FWIW, when "offensive guys" (e.g., Petrino) become HCs they usually need a better appreciation of defensive football. All JMO.

Peace

Thank for providing an outside input.

Show me one instance that clock management cost us a ballgame. I’m waiting.

Or find you another meme and post it to look cute and funny

Want me to give you a couple examples of good clock management?

Tennessee this season, miss state last season, South Carolina this season, Florida this season minus the penalty once we got in fg range for win with less than a minute left , Louisville last season

In the last two seasons once we ran out of time with the ball and a chance to win. That was ole miss this season. But clock management...... cause I read it on the internet
I think I'm pretty cute....
2017-6-1-greatest-accomplishment3.jpg

Reactions: brianpoe
Going down the field in our passing game; use of the tight end; Receivers able to get open; a second running back to compliment Benny; a 4-3 scheme to fully take advantage of our personnel; A healthy pass rush; aggressive play from our corners; better time management from the coaching staff; less time between plays;

Reactions: matt_man
Horrible post!

OP is clearly seeking friends in the Pit of Misery!

How above t a more balanced approach. Perhaps something between the points of view of the cry babies and the sunshine pumpers.

A much better post that would also induce a bit of actual thought, reflection and objectivity, would be in the form of an AFTER ACTION REVIEW (AAR) I know y’all are familiar. Freddie Maggard posts one after each game.

It’s a doctrine that the Army uses to get the best feedback about training and missions from the people involved in the action.

Define your objective.
Identify what was supposed to happen.
Identify what happened.
Identify what didn’t happen.
Name a number of sustainments.
Name a number of possible improvements.

Ask not what our coach can do for you but what can you do for your coach.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Recruit more linemen on both sides of the ball. Ignore stars and get some "country strong" guys who like the contact.

Junk the pro style offense for dual threat qbs and possession type receivers.

Last edited:
As an overall team and coaching philosophy -playing ultra aggressive, pedal to the metal, not afraid to lose as long as you’re the aggressor. Defense, offense, special teams - 100 mph, open the play book.

Swagger - exude confidence at all times. Even if you have to fake it at times, the kids look to you and if you’re cool they will be too.

This would be a huge step in right direction and you’d see the players embrace it big time.

Reactions: zumacat
Show me one instance that clock management cost us a ballgame. I’m waiting.

Or find you another meme and post it to look cute and funny

Want me to give you a couple examples of good clock management?

Tennessee this season, miss state last season, South Carolina this season, Florida this season minus the penalty once we got in fg range for win with less than a minute left , Louisville last season

In the last two seasons once we ran out of time with the ball and a chance to win. That was ole miss this season. But clock management...... cause I read it on the internet

Ole Miss-we didn’t run out of time, we left them too much time which allowed them to score as time expired.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/kentucky-handed-ole-miss-free-time-for-its-final-drive/

Georgia last year questions of clock management reared it’s head.

Seem to recall in that Vandy game where they beat us when we first used the UF let’s not cover a receiver defense, we called time outs on top of dead balls when the clock was stopped anyway.

And we’ve had more than one instance where the opposition needs to stop the clock and we’ve obliged by calling it for them.

That said, in your opinion should clock management only count as bad if it costs us a win? Can you have bad clock management and still win?

Reason why I ask is even though it didn’t cost us the game IIRC that series that occurred before the end of the first half against Vandy wasn’t one of the finer moments and brought howls about clock management.

Didn’t we ekked out a FG as time expired when we could of had shots at a TD had the clock been handled a bit better?

Vs South Carolina we won but in that one the media compared his clock management to that of Les Miles.

In the UF game, everyone focuses on the penalty setting us back on that last FG, but didn’t we leave the field with TOs in our pocket? If used, could another play or two been run to better the position?

Additionally, weren’t both blown coverage TDS first plays after we called a TOs? Maybe that isn’t clock management but overall game management which is not the topic here-sorry.

Last year’s MSU game was a win but shaky clock management was an issue.

Rather than argue about it though, if you really want to know, this site has a great search tool and there are others like Google where you can type in Stoops and Clock Management and you can get your own list of games where this seems to be an issue.

But if clock management doesn’t matter unless it costs you the game then I guess he is just about perfect in that area and those critical fans and questioning media members are just making stuff up.

Wonder why they would do that?

Usually (not always, usually) where there is smoke, there is fire. Since this seems to be one of the first issues mentioned when his performance is discussed maybe, just maybe there is a flicker of fire behind all this smoke, maybe this is an area of potential improvement.

But if this isn’t an issue as you seem to imply, that it’s just a figment of he fans’ and media’s imagination, then great-that will give him even more time to work on other issues that have been identified like fielding a competitive defense.

Or is that imaginary as well?

I remember Matt Jones and others harping about clock management in the Ole Miss game. In the stands, I knew Ole Miss had too much click with which to work. But, the objective is to score. Momentum and rhythm can be important to scoring. That is one reason why defenses may call timeouts. We needed a TD to win. It is far easier to kill clock when you know all you need is a FG to win and you are that close with a good kicker. But, if you burn clock and you don’t score, you lose. If you burn clock and you simply tie the game after being that close, fans will be screaming about conservative play calling, especially if you lose on a last second FG or in OT. Getting the TD was key. I know there are fans here who act like there can only be one reasonable approach (this is true even when UK wins and fans are critical), but focusing on the TD and not asking the players to shift focus to the clock was reasonable. Ole Miss needed the TD and, to their credit, they got it on an amazing throw and catch.

Going down the field in our passing game; use of the tight end; Receivers able to get open; a second running back to compliment Benny; a 4-3 scheme to fully take advantage of our personnel; A healthy pass rush; aggressive play from our corners; better time management from the coaching staff; less time between plays;

I wonder how many of those things you think the coaches would be against, MAYBE going to a 4-3, a big change, and looks like we have nose guards and LBs now.

He needs to read this message board experts evaluations and follow their council.
Forget about all those years experience of playing and coach and pay attention to those here with high post counts and likes.
apparently he has forgotten

I guess the truth is I want to see him win more games.

If he acts a fool with time management and on the sideline and wins 9 games he's passionately eccentric.
If he acts and does crazies and wins 4 then he's not the right guy.

Interesting resurrection of an older thread. I went thru these old posts and, in the broadest sense, found about 8 responses calling for "better/more aggressive offense" and (surprisingly to me) about 10 responses calling for "better defense".

FW(little)IW, I characterized my earlier post as "better offense".

Peace

Interesting resurrection of an older thread. I went thru these old posts and, in the broadest sense, found about 8 responses calling for "better/more aggressive offense" and (surprisingly to me) about 10 responses calling for "better defense".

FW(little)IW, I characterized my earlier post as "better offense".

Peace

I think UK has the talent on offense to be better than we were. However, I think many UK fans understand that defense requires the raw talent to execute more to be better. We all want to improve there but also understand the difficulties.

Reactions: jauk11
I think UK has the talent on offense to be better than we were. However, I think many UK fans understand that defense requires the raw talent to execute more to be better. We all want to improve there but also understand the difficulties.
I totally agree with your points. I think the offense can be better and I think you can craft an offense with "lesser talent". OTOH, for the most part, defense really does boil down to raw talent. But, from time to time, you see well coached, highly disciplined but somewhat "under talented" defenses do well. Guys like Don Brown had some great defenses at an under talented BC before taking a $1M+ job at MI (where they have ranked #3 and #1 in Total Defense his 2 years there).

Peace

I would like to see a little more man/free coverage and a little less zone. They used more m2m against Northwestern than I can recall during the season. I hope that trend continues. I'm not opposed to zone defenses but IMO just like you have to have a balanced offense to some degree you have to balance you defense by giving the opponent different looks and different coverages.

Reactions: kev69
How about switching to more one gap 3-4 sets. We don't have the personnel to field a competitive 2 gap scheme. Simpler and more aggressive is better when you don't have comparable talent.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Better time management, More aggressive on 4th and goals in big games, More aggressive offense period.. No more blunders like the UF game last year..

I would like to see a little more man/free coverage and a little less zone. They used more m2m against Northwestern than I can recall during the season. I hope that trend continues. I'm not opposed to zone defenses but IMO just like you have to have a balanced offense to some degree you have to balance you defense by giving the opponent different looks and different coverages.
Yep. And Man/Free gets another guy involved in run defense. I think (?) Stoops has "historically" been a 3 deep guy but you gotta be pretty good against the run with your front people. I don't recall much about the NW game other than NW had an average at best passing game to begin with but when they lost their QB they went to grade school level. I don't recall what the Cats were doing (defensively) in that game but if they played a lot of man stuff that left at least 1 more run defender and NW still ran it down UK's throat (333 yards on 56 rushes...vs 21 PAs).

Peace

I'd like to see Stoops play with a jumbo backfield with a 2 tight end set. I think this is the best way to play SEC teams with superior talent. Max protect with Benny running through defenders.

A five month old thread, and 10,000 comedians out-of-work,

and no one

I MEAN NO ONE CAME UP WITH THREE SIMPLE WORDS!

Fast Paste Offense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: ukalum1988

and no one

and no one

You need to get more specific about this "faste paste" offense you keep advocating. And I think you keep misspelling the faste.

Be more specific and scientific, what is the viscosity of this paste you keep mentioning?

Yep. And Man/Free gets another guy involved in run defense. I think (?) Stoops has "historically" been a 3 deep guy but you gotta be pretty good against the run with your front people. I don't recall much about the NW game other than NW had an average at best passing game to begin with but when they lost their QB they went to grade school level. I don't recall what the Cats were doing (defensively) in that game but if they played a lot of man stuff that left at least 1 more run defender and NW still ran it down UK's throat (333 yards on 56 rushes...vs 21 PAs).

Peace
And UK still should have won without Snell. Some awful officiating in that game. UK held NW under there season avg in points even with the bad run defense.

Reactions: jauk11
Just win. How they do it is irrelevant to me. Bottom line is just win. If it requires running 60 times in a game then run it. Same for throwing. Whatever works best against a particular opponent just win. That’s prob way too simple for this thread but at the end of the day a win is a win.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Just win. How they do it is irrelevant to me. Bottom line is just win. If it requires running 60 times in a game then run it. Same for throwing. Whatever works best against a particular opponent just win. That’s prob way too simple for this thread but at the end of the day a win is a win.
I agree Gran is a smart guy if he is running it 70 percent it is out of necessity. When we find a legit nfl type qb the offense will look way different.

Reactions: jauk11 and fabcat
I agree with this. I do think we need to pass the heck out of the ball to Conrad. I expect Paschal to pick up the pass rush, and Josh Allen. Dean Hood working with the DB is going to be great. Hope Rose can continue to do what he did in the spring. I think that King played well last year though

Actually liked many things the team did in the last bowl game. No doubt they would have won if Snell was not ejected. Staff coached loose and I had zero issues going for the win. My advice to Stoops is coach more like he did that game.

Actually liked many things the team did in the last bowl game. No doubt they would have won if Snell was not ejected. Staff coached loose and I had zero issues going for the win. My advice to Stoops is coach more like he did that game.

I agree.

Coach to win and not to not lose.

Blow out inferior teams.

Play with confidence.

Stop looking like a "Deer in Headlights." Lot of called plays has the same feel and look to it.

ADVERTISEMENT